How to change couplings on a Kato DE10?

yakumo381

Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on how to change the couplings on a Kato DE10 from the standard rapido version to the Kato 11-702 type?

The angle I view my WAMUs from on my new Iyo-Mishima mini-layout, as it is closer to the floor than my Niihama layout, means that the standard rapido couplings stand out way too much and spoil the visual effect.

I've worked out how to change them on the Kato WAMUs "k-type" coupling box easily enough but the DE10 looks somewhat more difficult so some advice before I accidentally cause irreversible damage would be appreciated.

The model should come with a pair of replacement knuckle couplers, they are not too hard to install.  The coupler is held in a small clip attached to under the locomotive, it should easily pop off and then you just slide the rapido off the pin and replace it with the knuckle version.   

I found an exploded view of the locomotive, you can see the coupler clips and the brass strip that acts as a centering spring.  

7011-2_d10-7.jpg

• Like 2

Just be careful with the brass flat spring behind that goes behind the coupler. It is a bit hard to put back in place.

• Haha 1

Thanks Khaul, managed to change them for the couplings that came with it in the box without damage but you were right about the flat brass spring. One fell out and apart from spending 15 mins on hand and knees trying to find it again on the floor, it took about another 15 mins to get it back in the right position. Ending up using a jewelers loupe to see where it should go.

17 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

Thanks Khaul, managed to change them for the couplings that came with it in the box without damage but you were right about the flat brass spring. One fell out and apart from spending 15 mins on hand and knees trying to find it again on the floor, it took about another 15 mins to get it back in the right position. Ending up using a jewelers loupe to see where it should go.

I have been there mate! Even worse, I managed to bent mine. I bought some replacement ones... 

Most of my fleet is composed of multiple units (modelling the modern image Tokyo Metropolitan area), but I do have a few locos for sleeper and freighter trains. Every time I swap out the Rapido couplers one end of the loco is fine and done in minutes, the other one takes 20 minutes or more because I can never get the spring to go back in place the right way!

Ewan

• Haha 2