Laying Track Panels

bill937ca

Short rails with fishplates. Is this a quick repair solution for damaged track? (it seems to be in the US, but i can't figure out where)

Need for High Speed

Its like building a gigantic model railroad where each piece of track weighs several tons and gets welded together. ;)

It's somewhere in Europe (Romania maybe? I couldn't make out the back of the safety vests). Definitely not the US, no railroad here would be able to lay track like that and run even just MoW vehicles over it, NTSB would eat them alive. I was at a grade crossing once though and saw a Norfolk Southern consist of a diesel, MoW gondola and two flatcars each carrying an assembled switch - less downtime for the railroad to fabricate the switch offsite and then drop it in place where needed.

3 hours ago, nah00 said:

It's somewhere in Europe (Romania maybe? I couldn't make out the back of the safety vests). Definitely not the US, no railroad here would be able to lay track like that and run even just MoW vehicles over it, NTSB would eat them alive. I was at a grade crossing once though and saw a Norfolk Southern consist of a diesel, MoW gondola and two flatcars each carrying an assembled switch - less downtime for the railroad to fabricate the switch offsite and then drop it in place where needed.

I zoomed into the text and it has 'Dzelzceļa Būve' on it, which is a railway construction firm in Riga, Latvia. Latvia uses russian gauge with center couplers (very similar to the american AAR couplers, so that's what confused me), while most of Europe uses buffer and chain or schafenberg couplers on standard gauge tracks.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, kvp said:

Short rails with fishplates. Is this a quick repair solution for damaged track? (it seems to be in the US, but i can't figure out where)

kvp,

The short rails are there only to hold the ties in place. They will be connected with fishplates as usual, however they will then be removed and replaced by continuous welded rail.

Cheers NB