Jump to content
railsquid

Takahachikawa

Recommended Posts

railsquid
12 hours ago, valkyriepm said:

Great scenery! Love the feeling of it. Specially the last pic.

 

Martin

 

Thanks, I think the angle (more-or-less human eye level) and the truck lend it a sense of reality.

 

Meanwhile, the original layout I started a while back:

 

28835594978_13fc62d2fd_z.jpg

old-layout-final by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

It's gone:

 

41990950794_8b38616240_z.jpg

old-layout-removed by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

For various reasons it was impractical and had to go. But bits of it will live on, one of the road sections will fit just nicely in front of the farm:

 

27843160467_3df5b990a5_z.jpg

recycled-road-section-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

42663031692_836c1083d4_z.jpg

recycled-road-section-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

Random scenic picture from messing around with my smartphone.

 

42764488742_b45f344119_z.jpg
ef58-scenery-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

(Obvious non-prototypical mistakes are obvious, like I said, was messing around...)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

Now here's a mystery... Sometimes I will pretend bits of the layout are actually the Minobu Line, as early on in my N gauge addiction I acquired some Tomytec models without really knowing what they were and it turns out they ran on the Minobu line, which connects with the Chuo Line at Kofu, which fits quite nicely into my Chuo Line theme.

 

40624215660_14008b7d6c_z.jpg

steps-painted_3 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

Somewhat less prototypical is this MicroAce "Kansai colour" 101 series, which I also acquired early on as it was cheap and I liked it:

 

42953870741_6fc3f5a857_z.jpg

microace-kansai-colour-101-series_1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

Anyway while researching what else ran on the Minobu Line, I stumbled on this page: http://jigyourin.web.fc2.com/toukaidou8-3.html; 6th picture down is a 101 series with this same colouring at Shinagawa in 1982 with the destination blind reading "Kofu"...

Now, the reason it was at Shinagawa was that there had apparently been some sort of flood damage in the Osaka area causing a shortage of trains, so a few redundant Tokyo area 101s were moved down that way. What intrigues me is why the destination blind is set to "Kofu", and whether any 101s in this colour scheme ever made it that way. I do know Chuo Line 101-800 series (with "low roof" pantographs) did, but have yet to find an explanation for this set.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Socimi
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

 

Anyway while researching what else ran on the Minobu Line, I stumbled on this page: http://jigyourin.web.fc2.com/toukaidou8-3.html; 6th picture down is a 101 series with this same colouring at Shinagawa in 1982 with the destination blind reading "Kofu"...

Now, the reason it was at Shinagawa was that there had apparently been some sort of flood damage in the Osaka area causing a shortage of trains, so a few redundant Tokyo area 101s were moved down that way. What intrigues me is why the destination blind is set to "Kofu", and whether any 101s in this colour scheme ever made it that way. I do know Chuo Line 101-800 series (with "low roof" pantographs) did, but have yet to find an explanation for this set.

 

It could have been a former Chuo Line set repainted either at the Shinagawa or Mitaka yards into Kansai green (wich is similar to the green of the Yamanote line and the stripe having the same tonality of the Chuo-Sobu yellow), and then travelled the Tokaido Main Line all the way to Osaka...

 

In 1982 they were being replaced by the 201 series (fully replaced by 1985) so some were surplus.

 

Wikipedia actually mentions that some 101s used in the Kansai Area were transferred from the Chuo-Sobu Line in 1982 due to flooding at Oji depot, wich damaged 60 veihcles.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄101系電車#関西地区

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

A bit of scenery work around the "tram tunnel" (so named as trains emerging from it will enter the street running section):

 

41223650300_3e552064db_z.jpg

Tram tunnel progress by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The arches are for a "half-open" tunnel (is there a technical term for that) which will be roofed over with a continuation of the hillside, to tone down the number of near-vertical concrete walls in this area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
14 minutes ago, railsquid said:

A bit of scenery work around the "tram tunnel" (so named as trains emerging from it will enter the street running section):

 

41223650300_3e552064db_z.jpg

Tram tunnel progress by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The arches are for a "half-open" tunnel (is there a technical term for that) which will be roofed over with a continuation of the hillside, to tone down the number of near-vertical concrete walls in this area.

 

Very nice! Is that an old British Rail Mk 1 I see in the background?

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid
5 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

 

Very nice! Is that an old British Rail Mk 1 I see in the background?

 

Bingo, more precisely a new-ish Graham Farish model thereof.

 

29151072498_ea6337e752_z.jpg

Graham Farish Class 46 (46053) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
5 minutes ago, railsquid said:

 

Bingo, more precisely a new-ish Graham Farish model thereof.

 

 

Graham Farish Class 46 (46053) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

I love it! I need one of those for ol' time's sake. After the ICE-4 comes out, I'll switch from my German phase to a British phase for a while. I love that Blue and yellow British Rail era.

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

It's what I grew up with, so have amassed a fair collection of stuff, some of it in Japan like that Class 46.

 

Here's another one (Class 73 electro-diesel in "large logo" livery):

 

42115262395_9105d705c3_z.jpg

Dapol Class 73 73138 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Khaul

How do those Dapols and Graham Farishes run in comparison to your Japanese models? Sometimes I think the British prototype looks so good and with those little trucks I could have a nice switching layout. Then I read horror stories about British model train makers.

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
21 minutes ago, railsquid said:

It's what I grew up with.

 

Me too....sort of. I grew up on John Bull's other island. I remember when, at that age of 4, my older brother told me I wasn't British. I was surprised. I had grown up to that point watching the BBC and ITV and just assumed I was somewhere in England. 

 

So, needless to say, my British phase will spawn a sub-phase where I'll paint an English train black/orange and call it Irish.

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid
48 minutes ago, Khaul said:

How do those Dapols and Graham Farishes run in comparison to your Japanese models? Sometimes I think the British prototype looks so good and with those little trucks I could have a nice switching layout. Then I read horror stories about British model train makers.

 

Hmm, put it this way, I'm running my British stuff at the moment partly to test the layout alignment, as some of the locos are less forgiving of minor unevenness than Japanese or German stuff.

 

Until fairly recently, Farish models tended to suffer from split gears; which are easy enough to repair, but obviously not a happy situation (though I've found a few non-runners in Japan such as the Class 46 above going cheap due to said issue).

 

Some Dapol locos have a tendency to lose their directional lighting after a while due to component failure.

 

Don't expect great haulage on inclines; British stuff doesn't come with traction tyres.


Overall I've found it more reliable to purchase second hand from reliable vendors, as that means the loco has survived the initial failure phase.

I love 'em all despite that, but I'm glad I can fall back on Japanese stuff when things get too annoying.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

For no particular reason, an EF15 heading into the tunnel at the head of a freight train.

 

41656293370_4e90561d75.jpg

microace-ef15 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

And a momentous, nay historical moment as I finally get round to completing the second mainline loop and wiring up two controllers so I can have 2 (two) trains running at the same time.

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

I should add that the trains in the video are Kato 103 Kokuden units, as they are relatively expendable should something mishappen. Appropriately the orange one is the first motorized N gauge train I ever bought, which lead me down this rabbit hole... The green one followed shortly after. They will, when time allows, be tarted up with after-market parts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Das Steinkopf

If by chance there was a JR East EMU that I would buy it would more than likely be a E257, having ridden on one out to Matsumoto and back I will say they are a very nice train.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

It is a nice train, though I've long felt it's not really suited to the steep curved sections especially west of Kofu.

 

Meanwhile, messing about with some spare space which looks just right for a small loco/rolling stock depot or something.

 

28919349777_803dd580c6_z.jpg
loco-spur by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

42047230770_f8713edd40_z.jpg

loco-spur-bridge by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

42047232860_63f492a589_z.jpg

103-series-incline by Rail Squid, on Flickr

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66

I really like these perspectives!  The small road crossing is a really nice use of the small space.

Share this post


Link to post
Bubule

The last shot is particulary nice. It is a great scene ! I love colours of that scenery.

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid
On 8/5/2018 at 3:35 PM, railsquid said:

It is a nice train, though I've long felt it's not really suited to the steep curved sections especially west of Kofu.

 

Meanwhile, messing about with some spare space which looks just right for a small loco/rolling stock depot or something.

 

28919349777_803dd580c6_z.jpg
loco-spur by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

 

Today it's pretending to be a depot servicing the Minobu Line, which is not as sexy as the Iida line but I seem to have acquired the knack of purchasing random stock and finding it's from the Minobu line, including the World Kogei ED17 (representing ED17-1, as preserved in the JR Omiya museum) which was definitely deployed there (4th photo down on this page).

 

43021903695_faeeece82c_z.jpg

minobu-line-yard by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid

And today we have running on the lower loop as well (though I still need to wire up the provisional block selector switches so I can run trains to and from the other lines.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
JR 500系

Really nice Squid san! Nice serene feel to it... Can I ask how you made the yellow and black barriers by the rails? They look really authentic! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×