Unitrack rerailers

EF57

I remember the old brass Atlas HO snap-track rerailers working flawlessly to re-rail trains running over them.   Even their N scale ones worked fine.  I find that the Kato equivalent (20-026) does not do that at all.  It is not even so good at just putting rolling stock on the track, the flanges do not get directed in between the rails.  Any fixes or alternatives?

Actually those are the extension pieces for the new crossing gate. There is a different type with wooden planks and wooden ties for the older style crossings, which you can find under 20-021. Imho both works fine when used with Japanese style medium to large flange wheels as the middle part is responsible for pulling in the derailed axle with the outer ramp just helping to get the outer flange over the rail and the inner flange onto the right side of the middle wedge. Still, the main functionality for both is being a railroad crossing.

Personally i think the Kato railer ramps that you place on top of the tracks are better for placing rolling stock on the tracks.

Yes, they call the 20-021 a rail crossing track but the 026 they expressly call a re-railer.  The middle casting, which actually is supposed to do the work, is identical in both.   I agree that the blue railer does a fine job,  but it is nice to have something built into the track that will re-rail the odd wheel or truck on the go, without having to stop the whole train.