Basic track questions from a newbie

Kiran

I will investigate the wide track by Tomix. Meanwhile, Could I use a combo of Firetrack double track and single track? I am thinking of using the DC317-DC354 for the curves but use the S280 for the straight sections of the loop. Will this work? I want to put a turn out in the straight section and I don't know if turnouts work if I use the double track.

Also, does anyone know if there is gap under the double track to run the cable to the inner loop?

3 hours ago, Kiran said:

I will investigate the wide track by Tomix. Meanwhile, Could I use a combo of Firetrack double track and single track? I am thinking of using the DC317-DC354 for the curves but use the S280 for the straight sections of the loop. Will this work? I want to put a turn out in the straight section and I don't know if turnouts work if I use the double track.

Also, does anyone know if there is gap under the double track to run the cable to the inner loop?

I assume you are trying to use the WIDE tracks for the curves, and the fine tracks for the straights? Then yes you can. In fact, you can even use fine tracks for the curves and WIDE tracks for the straights, as technically, they are all Tomix and can connect together. 

However, if you are using WIDE tracks for the curves, do remember you require the curve approach to use those curves as WIDE curves are canted curves; i.e. they bank the trains. Without the curve approaches, the train WILL derail easily at curves. 

20 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I assume you are trying to use the WIDE tracks for the curves, and the fine tracks for the straights? Then yes you can. In fact, you can even use fine tracks for the curves and WIDE tracks for the straights, as technically, they are all Tomix and can connect together. 

However, if you are using WIDE tracks for the curves, do remember you require the curve approach to use those curves as WIDE curves are canted curves; i.e. they bank the trains. Without the curve approaches, the train WILL derail easily at curves. 

I actually don't have any WIDE track at the moment. My straights and curves are all Finetrack. I was thinking of using the double track for the curves in the hope that that will let me keep the gap between the tracks consistent.

So use something like this for the curves https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10536115

And then use single track S280 side by side for the straights.

11 minutes ago, Kiran said:

I actually don't have any WIDE track at the moment. My straights and curves are all Finetrack. I was thinking of using the double track for the curves in the hope that that will let me keep the gap between the tracks consistent.

So use something like this for the curves https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10536115

And then use single track S280 side by side for the straights.

Aahhh I see ~ You are planning to use viaduct curves... ok, but wouldn't using the normal S280 after using the slab curve tracks look pretty strange? I mean, there will be a strange gap in between the straights after the curves, but if you are planning to ballast that section or add some features there and that's all good ~

16 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Aahhh I see ~ You are planning to use viaduct curves... ok, but wouldn't using the normal S280 after using the slab curve tracks look pretty strange? I mean, there will be a strange gap in between the straights after the curves, but if you are planning to ballast that section or add some features there and that's all good ~

There is going to be a gap between the straights but it is OK for now. I don't yet have an idea of a proper layout yet. I am just trying out things for now. I would like a stable double track loop to run my trains in opposite directions. Also looking at Wide track. 

44 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Also, I plan to put manual points to let the trains switch from the innter to outer loop. I can do this in the straight section to cover up some of the gap.

Researching Wide track now and I can't find a manual point / turnout. I have the Tomix 541-15 manual points but that is not Wide track. There doesn't seem to be a Wide track version. Perhaps I don't need it. The standard PL/PR541-15 manual point would work wiht Wide track too.

2 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Also, I plan to put manual points to let the trains switch from the innter to outer loop. I can do this in the straight section to cover up some of the gap.

Researching Wide track now and I can't find a manual point / turnout. I have the Tomix 541-15 manual points but that is not Wide track. There doesn't seem to be a Wide track version. Perhaps I don't need it. The standard PL/PR541-15 manual point would work wiht Wide track too.

There isn't any WIDE track turnouts because it probably wont work, but there is a kit to transform your regular turnouts into a wide track one:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10126691

So the bridge set that I ordered is here https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10494378

I think I have bitten off more than I can chew with this one. Attaching the gradient bridge piers to the double track sections is proving to be a challenge. There are these little pieces that connect the bridge piers to the underside of the double track. Once you insert them into the piers, they are supposed to snap to the underside but I can't get them to snap. Those little pieces are wobbly.

The double track sections are also harder to connect than single track...

4 hours ago, Kiran said:

So the bridge set that I ordered is here https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10494378

I think I have bitten off more than I can chew with this one. Attaching the gradient bridge piers to the double track sections is proving to be a challenge. There are these little pieces that connect the bridge piers to the underside of the double track. Once you insert them into the piers, they are supposed to snap to the underside but I can't get them to snap. Those little pieces are wobbly.

The double track sections are also harder to connect than single track...

No worries mate, it always seems this way when we first started....  

The little pieces can first be attached to the downside of the track sections itself, usually between the grooves marked A, B, C and D depending on where you want your piers to be. After attaching the small little pieces on the track itself, then simply click them onto the pier, where are there groves for the little pieces to click into. The little pieces are wobbly because they need to be able to allow for gradients especially more so since you got the gradient pier sets 

The double sections are slightly more difficult to snap together cause there are now 2 tracks to click on together, rather than one. Just ensure that the tracks are aligned correctly, and the small little rail joiners are not in the way when you try to snap them together.. 

Hope that helps!

12 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

No worries mate, it always seems this way when we first started....  

The little pieces can first be attached to the downside of the track sections itself, usually between the grooves marked A, B, C and D depending on where you want your piers to be. After attaching the small little pieces on the track itself, then simply click them onto the pier, where are there groves for the little pieces to click into. The little pieces are wobbly because they need to be able to allow for gradients especially more so since you got the gradient pier sets 

The double sections are slightly more difficult to snap together cause there are now 2 tracks to click on together, rather than one. Just ensure that the tracks are aligned correctly, and the small little rail joiners are not in the way when you try to snap them together.. 

Hope that helps!

Thank you! got it mostly working now. One of the double tracks is operational. I am having trouble with the other track because there is a section of track where there are 2 single tracks (S280) as oppose to a double track (DS280). Getting to snap both S280s to the DS 280s on either end is proving to be a major challenge. Also I realized after building the layout that either I made a mistake or the set is missing a couple of S140 track sections. The S280s are not enough to close the gap on the opposit side of the bridge in the oval. Attaching a video to show the layout. This is a blind person shooting the video and so not sure if it captured everything.

So here is the layout:

Bridge

2 DS140 sections on either side of the bridge

Followed by 2 sections of DS354-391 sections on each side to start the curve.

Then, 2 sections of DS280-317 on each side to complete the curve.

Followed by 1 section of DS280 on each side.

This leaves a gap larger than the provided S280s. I do have enough track sections lying around and so I just added an S140. It was a tight fit but it worked in the end. Except of course, I can't seem to be able to get the other S280-140 section in.

Edited by Kiran
Adding the correct video. Blind guy doing videos isn't a great idea...

Ok, if I didn't see wrongly, you have basically gotten the oval correct. I think you have a challenge connecting the other rail possibly due to the curves, but I do see that the straights there are basically a S280 and a S140, where you have already connected a feeder on the running track, and a derailer on the other track that you have problems with connecting... 

Could you try this? Remove both S140. Connect both S140 straights to the viaduct piece on one end. Connect both S280 straights to the other end of the viaduct, then connect both single straights together. It is much easier to connect single straight tracks together then connecting them to the DS. 

Hope that works! 

Edited by JR 500系
On 6/22/2018 at 7:49 PM, JR 500系 said:

Ok, if I didn't see wrongly, you have basically gotten the oval correct. I think you have a challenge connecting the other rail possibly due to the curves, but I do see that the straights there are basically a S280 and a S140, where you have already connected a feeder on the running track, and a derailer on the other track that you have problems with connecting... 

Could you try this? Remove both S140. Connect both S140 straights to the viaduct piece on one end. Connect both S280 straights to the other end of the viaduct, then connect both single straights together. It is much easier to connect single straight tracks together then connecting them to the DS. 

Hope that works! 

That actually worked! I finally have success. The double track is running and the 2 trains are happily running in opposite directions. I like using S140-RE as I can connect the feeder 

near the end and not in the middle. Here is a video of both trains running together happily.

Thanks for all the patient help.

Edited by Kiran
  • Like 5

After a brief flirtation with Unitrack, I am back to Finetrack and the elementary questions continue.

I am using viaduct single track in simple loop with a bridge. But I am not sure how I can connect the feeder. There appear to be slots for the feeder to go into the C317 viaduct track pieces in the middle. Can I just use the standard Tomix feeder N? Or do I need a different kind of a feeder?

I think I figured out where the feeder goes in the curve viaduct track but I can't get it to slot in properly. The outer rail gets the contact but the feeder doesn't reach the inner rail. It almost feels like I have to take some small piece out of the track so that the feeder goes in further. Here are the pictures from the top and and underside. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

P.S: blind guy taking pictures warning and happy to take them again if they haven't come out correctly.

Top view train track.jpg

Underside train track.jpg

From the photo, it looks like a brown ballast - also known as older - Tomix track. I'm not really familiar with it, but afaik those holes are meant for the catenary masts and these tracks can't use the newer type feeders that clip under the viaduct tracks.

I think the piece you need is the Tomix 3064, which is usable for adding signals, sensors and feeders to viaduct tracks. You'll also need a 70 mm straight track for the feeder to go into as this viaduct piece has no track in the package. https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/3064.html

20 hours ago, kvp said:

From the photo, it looks like a brown ballast - also known as older - Tomix track. I'm not really familiar with it, but afaik those holes are meant for the catenary masts and these tracks can't use the newer type feeders that clip under the viaduct tracks.

I think the piece you need is the Tomix 3064, which is usable for adding signals, sensors and feeders to viaduct tracks. You'll also need a 70 mm straight track for the feeder to go into as this viaduct piece has no track in the package. https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/3064.html

Thanks for this KVP. I have a couple of boxes of old Tomix track. I found a viaduct girder bridge in there but not that 70mm feeder bridge. I tried the girder but no luck. I think I have the Tomix 3009 https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10009751. I will order the other one. Or ext the layout to add a standard 70 or 140section. Here are the photos with the girder.

picture of electicity connection.jpg

I figured I can use this thread since it’s about track pieces.  I am a newbie as well.  I see videos and pictures with the trains leaning in on a turn.  Are there specific tracks to give this effect?   I have the E259 train track set and my train doesn’t have that effect when Turning

That sort of effect is known as "Superelevation" or "canted" track.  Kato makes this in their double track curve pieces, and tomix may make this but I'm not personally familial with their product line.

Is there a rule of thumb of how much track you need to run X amount of length of train?  Right now I have the NEX train kit with the additional C set.  But I just bought the Yamanote 11 car set E231-500.  Will this long train run on my current set up or do i need to make it bigger?

Basically a 20 meter piece of rolling stock like the E231-500 is 133mm at 1/150.  On a Tomix S280 you can fit two 20 meter cars. Kato S248 is a little short for 2 20 meter cars (but fine for 18 meter cars  (18000/150 = 120mm) which may have been the standard  at the time Unitrack was designed).

An 11 car E231-500 set needs 6 S280 sections (1463 mm or just over 57.5 inches) but most of us don't that amount of room  to run a full set.