Good place to find numberboards? (Or similar)

GDorsett

So, in my finite wisdom, I managed to shoot a number board across the room with no hopes of retrieving it (Don't ask how, I'm not sure. Cut it off the flashing and kapowie). Being someone who likes to keep things as accurate as possible, I don't want to put one of the other numbers onto this engine, as then it would be incorrect (and I have all three of the other boards on...so that may make a difference.)

It is the EF81 from the Nihonkai set, which is number to 101.

Seen here is it with the proper number

0507181353.jpg

With the missing headcode

0507181353a.jpg?width=755&height=567

Is there any particular shop that you'd suggest for getting new headcode boards for engines?

That, and I'm missing both headboards for my EF66, which somehow did not come with any.

bill937ca

Is this HO?

Anyways, it's called a number plate.  Everything I saw on HS is sold out. A rare stand alone part. You may need to search for junk engines.

Edited by bill937ca

you could make a little decal and put it on a small chunk of styrene painted red.

I have a pile of extra white decal paper you can do this with.

jeff

18 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Is this HO?

Nope, 'tis N scale.

5 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

you could make a little decal and put it on a small chunk of styrene painted red.

I hadn't thought of that. I have some strips, myself that should do the trick. Will have to get better with a paintbruch first, though.

No idea how to make decals.

2 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Nope, 'tis N scale.

I hadn't thought of that. I have some strips, myself that should do the trick. Will have to get better with a paintbruch first, though.

No idea how to make decals.

Really could just brush paint this as it’s really only the edge you will see. Getting the red paint and the decal color to match will be the biggest challenge. Will need to see if doing red or white paint under the white decal paper works. Some stronger colors show thru the white decal paper and some ink colors will show thru White behind them... may work best to just paint back8ng red and pain in the square behind the number block white.

jeff

Das Steinkopf

I would suggest doing a thorough sweep of the room to find them, number plates aren't that hard to find compared to a lot of other parts such as builders plates and antennas.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I would suggest doing a thorough sweep of the room to find them, number plates aren't that hard to find compared to a lot of other parts such as builders plates and antennas.

As soon as you buy a replacement or finish making something (like was being discussed) you will happen upon the original lost one.

So hurry up and place an order for the replacement so you can hasten the finding of the original.

• Haha 1
Das Steinkopf
7 hours ago, chadbag said:

As soon as you buy a replacement or finish making something (like was being discussed) you will happen upon the original lost one.

So hurry up and place an order for the replacement so you can hasten the finding of the original.

Yep, good old Murphy’s Law in practice.

This sounds counterintuitive, but wait until night, turn out all the lights in the room and use an LED flashlight to look for it. It will stand out more as your brain looks at less area with brighter light. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, nah00 said:

This sounds counterintuitive, but wait until night, turn out all the lights in the room and use an LED flashlight to look for it. It will stand out more as your brain looks at less area with brighter light. 

Spot in nah! Especially when you shine the light at like a 45 degrees to the side as it casts a little shadow and in lower lighting our eyes pick up contrasts like that better. My office has mottled brown cork flooring with little black squiggles all thru it. While it hides black dog hair and Schmutz well, little parts disappear, but the flashlight in low light finds stuff remarkably well!

cheers

jeff