Recommendations on a Dremmel tool?

gavino200

gavino200

I've decided it's probably time to splash out on a designated fine rotary tool. I have a bunch of 'non-dremmel' rotary tools that I've been making do with. A tiny pencil powered one-speed tool for very small jobs. A one-speed Harbor Freight unit that I can switch out bits on - it's not very powerful. From there I go to a battery powered Craftsman drill. And for the toughest jobs I use a regular Bosch drill. I've been using Dremmel bits, burrs etc. with all of these.

The battery power craftsman drill just crapped out (after about 10 years). So now I have no mid range. But my light devices aren't great either, so .....maybe it's time for a new tool.

Last time I looked there were a ton of different Dremmel tools on the market. For train layout and general use, has anyone found specific features to be a must? Are there features that are unnecessary? Is there a specific power rating that is necessary for certain jobs? Is Dremmel even the best brand? Any experience with other brands?

Any advice would be necessary. This will be my Father's Day gift so I don't necessarily need to lowball it. 

Edited by gavino200

Gavin,

ive used dremels since I was a kid and they are nice machines. Also most accessories out there like blade guards and such made my 3rd parties are made to fit the mid to upper quality dremels. They always seem to have about 10 models going at any one time, so it can be confusing.

a few years back my dremel went missing (we were doing work on the layout at someone else’s house and it wither got misplaced there or in someone’s stuff or is lost in some box or bag here after being it home) so I went looking for a new one. A 1/144 miniature friend loved her proxxon so I got one, it really is a nice machine. I have the ac model and it’s been plenty powerful enough for anything I’ve thrown at it. It’s also very smooth and very little vibration in the handle. I also have a simple color they make that allows you to easily clip it in a small bench vise for stationary use. I also picked up their little drill press stand when it was on special on amazon for like $20or so. It’s not super accurate but these kinds of drill press stands are not super accurate, but fine for quick hole punching or holding the rotoary tool at a desired angle for stationary work. They also have dc versions that are smaller (you can get more torque in smaller dc mothers than ac usually), but I don’t know if they will give you the same torque as the full sized ac models.

ive had cheap ac rotoary tools as well that have held up very well in the past.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

There are a bunch of Dremel accessories that include router, cutting kits, drill press, etc.  The lower end, battery powered Dremel's don't fit these accessories.  Home Depot?!?!?!

Yeah it’s always a bit of a search to make sure the dremel accessory you are looking at (other than the actual bits) will work with your dremel model and usually it’s only the medium to high end models, cheaper entry level ones and battery operated ones usually no go. 

My last dremel was a high end one but a bit older and when I went to get a drill press for it the current drill press model would only work with newer dremels, not my older, but top end model...

Amazon also has some dremel packages at good prices on special. 

Ive never really like using the flexible shafts and those are usually one of the more expensive package additions you might skip.

jeff

Not a lot to add, but I'd recommend getting a multispeed tool.  I've found it pretty helpful being able to slow down the tool for cutting softer materials. 

gavino200
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Gavin,

ive used dremels since I was a kid and they are nice machines. Also most accessories out there like blade guards and such made my 3rd parties are made to fit the mid to upper quality dremels. They always seem to have about 10 models going at any one time, so it can be confusing.

a few years back my dremel went missing (we were doing work on the layout at someone else’s house and it wither got misplaced there or in someone’s stuff or is lost in some box or bag here after being it home) so I went looking for a new one. A 1/144 miniature friend loved her proxxon so I got one, it really is a nice machine. I have the ac model and it’s been plenty powerful enough for anything I’ve thrown at it. It’s also very smooth and very little vibration in the handle. I also have a simple color they make that allows you to easily clip it in a small bench vise for stationary use. I also picked up their little drill press stand when it was on special on amazon for like $20or so. It’s not super accurate but these kinds of drill press stands are not super accurate, but fine for quick hole punching or holding the rotoary tool at a desired angle for stationary work. They also have dc versions that are smaller (you can get more torque in smaller dc mothers than ac usually), but I don’t know if they will give you the same torque as the full sized ac models.

ive had cheap ac rotoary tools as well that have held up very well in the past.

cheers

jeff

Thanks. The Proxxon tools look good. I'd never heard of them before. It's hard to judge how they'd feel in the hand just by looking at them. I just got back from Lowes (getting some hard board). They had about five Dremmels there. The "micro" was the only one that I could imagine doing fine work with. I could use the large fat ones, but it wouldn't be any improvement over just using a battery powered drill.

gavino200
2 hours ago, toc36 said:

There are a bunch of Dremel accessories that include router, cutting kits, drill press, etc.  The lower end, battery powered Dremel's don't fit these accessories.  Home Depot?!?!?!

Thanks. That's good to know up front!

Does that include the "Micro". That would be a pity. I like it because of it's size. 

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/8050-micro

Edited by gavino200
gavino200
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Not a lot to add, but I'd recommend getting a multispeed tool.  I've found it pretty helpful being able to slow down the tool for cutting softer materials. 

Agree. Being able to change the speed would be a massive improvement. 

gavino200

This MicroLux tool on Micro Mark seems nice. I've never heard of MicroLux though.

https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-Mini-Rotary-Tool

Dremmel has a super fancy model for two hundred bucks. Variable speed by pedal might actually be annoying though. I think I'd prefer to just set and leave a certain speed.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/9100-fortiflex-heavy-duty-flex-shaft-tool

Here's a no-name equivalent for seventy bucks.

https://www.sciplus.com/variable-speed-flex-shaft-grinder-43486-p?ppc=shopping1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl82dXB5sZXf7TwFGdkK57vTlK910NEgXJBOMWmkuxU2gMFPoBstw1SAaAj6NEALw_wcB

Edited by gavino200

Almost all the mid to high end ones have the speed adjustments and it’s a must,

for really small work I use the little 12v nail tool as they are the smallest and lightest and have enough power for detail stuff. They are also variable speed and only like $5 and a $3 wall wort. I have a shaft adapter to fit the 1.6mm dental burs. Also have a small adjustable chuck fitted on on for small bits. These guys are so cheap I can have 4 of them laying around with the usual burns in them for quick grinds on bits. Downside is they are fixed 2.3mm chucks. I’ve tried other small chuck sets but they are like 1mm too big to fit in the drill collar! I did successfully drill out one drill collar to take a set of micro chucks for 0.5-3mm shafts but it was perfectly straight ream out... but the small adjustable chuck with 2.3mm shaft worked fine (I used a cut off 2.3mm bit for a shaft), but it does take some of the power to spin it.

jeff

gavino200
34 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Almost all the mid to high end ones have the speed adjustments and it’s a must,

for really small work I use the little 12v nail tool as they are the smallest and lightest and have enough power for detail stuff. They are also variable speed and only like $5 and a $3 wall wort. I have a shaft adapter to fit the 1.6mm dental burs. Also have a small adjustable chuck fitted on on for small bits. These guys are so cheap I can have 4 of them laying around with the usual burns in them for quick grinds on bits. Downside is they are fixed 2.3mm chucks. I’ve tried other small chuck sets but they are like 1mm too big to fit in the drill collar! I did successfully drill out one drill collar to take a set of micro chucks for 0.5-3mm shafts but it was perfectly straight ream out... but the small adjustable chuck with 2.3mm shaft worked fine (I used a cut off 2.3mm bit for a shaft), but it does take some of the power to spin it.

jeff

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-held-Electric-Variable-Manicure-3000-20000prm/dp/B00FRD0GV8/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1525662312&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2874045011&dpID=51WVP4relcL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If you can get beyond the hot pink (I think I can) it's essentially the same thing as the hobby tools for much less. Very in-ter-es-ting!

I've had several dremel tools (both A/C and battery) and they are good.   They've all gone missing, packed away, brother "borrowed" etc.  My latest has been a Black and Decker multi speed A/C "full size".   It has worked really well for my guitar building, multi rotor, etc work.  I often use the real dremel bits and cutting wheels as they often work  lot better than the other brand ones but the B&D tool itself has been great and was 1/2 the price of a similar Dremel.   I've had it for a while now, many years, so don't know if it is current or not.  I think I may have gotten it at Costco one Christmas.

proxxon is big in the "modeler" market I think.  I've never used one but they get mentions in a lot of other forums I have frequented with the guitar building or multi rotor and other similar over the years.  They have a lot of interesting tools.

• Like 1
gavino200
2 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I've had several dremel tools (both A/C and battery) and they are good.   They've all gone missing, packed away, brother "borrowed" etc.  My latest has been a Black and Decker multi speed A/C "full size".   It has worked really well for my guitar building, multi rotor, etc work.  I often use the real dremel bits and cutting wheels as they often work  lot better than the other brand ones but the B&D tool itself has been great and was 1/2 the price of a similar Dremel.   I've had it for a while now, many years, so don't know if it is current or not.  I think I may have gotten it at Costco one Christmas.

Black & Decker seemed to have a great rep when I was a kid (maybe just great adds and marketing), but I've seen some shoddy products from them in recent years. Maybe they've turned a corner. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Gavin,

yep that’s the guy. If you don’t like the pink they can be found in blue on ebay! You can also get the hand pieces by themselves. The set of 2.3mm burs with that one are decent to do some light trimming as well. Again I use these for light work as they are small and easy to handle and very inexpensive to have a few handy with the main got to burs already in them. 

Black and decker is still an ok brand, not uber quality and if you are going to get a nicer unit then I would look at proxxon or dremel or microlux.

btw microlux is micromarks brand I think and I think sold pretty much by them. Some items very similar to proxxon. I have the micro and mini microlux table saws and they are very nice. Micromark can be a bit pricy, but not horrid with these.

jeff

• Like 1

One thing i find really helpful is a flexible attachment that allows you to fit into spaces where the dremel body would be in the way. Another good to have accessory is a drill press that could be used for drilling or milling. A good multispeed AC powered unit is good and doesn't have too many parts to break.

• Like 1

There are lots of things I would not buy B&D any more.  But I have had good luck with my multi speed B&D "dremel" tool.   (Funny how "Dremel" has kind of become a generic term, like "kleenex", or where I grew up "coke"*). 

I still mostly buy the real dremel tools to use in it though, as they tend to work  lot better.

* where I grew up "coke" meant any soda -- "Who is bringing the cokes?" meant "Who is brining the soda?"

gavino200

That’s a good price for the whole set. These are good for the odd little bits and to get into the tight spaces. But the don’t replace a high power dremel for doing heavier stuff like cut off saws and heavy grinding and routing. Still need a dremel or proxxon type for that stuff. But I do do a lot of quick little stuff with these as they are small, light and fast to use. 

These convertes will let you use dental burs easily and loads of those in different shapes for intricate work on ebay cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Dentist-Tool-Dental-Lab-Bur-Drill-Shank-Converter-Adapter-HP-to-FG-Rotary/222739341257?epid=727005271&hash=item33dc4c9fc9:g:728AAOSwUMVaIPCp

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdental+burs.TRS1&_nkw=dental+burs&_sacat=0

jeff