JNS Forum
Yavianice

FOUND: KATO 10-340 / 2x 10-341 E1 Shinkansen

Posted (edited)

Hi all!

I am looking for a KATO 10-340 and 2x KATO 10-341 E1 Shinkansen. Unfortunately not the TOMIX version (sorry JR500!)

Only as a full set. 

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Found it, thanks for looking!

Edited by Yavianice

Hello Yavianice,

Are you aware the Kato 10-340 + 341 combination is not a full prototypical set?

Only Tomix made the full set in original colour.

Of course, if you just want a set that looks "about right", then the Kato one is a good choice.

Hi Ochanomizu,

Than, what is missing in the missing in the 10-340 + 2x 10-341 combination?

Regards,

Marco

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ochanomizu said:

Are you aware the Kato 10-340 + 341 combination is not a full prototypical set?

Only Tomix made the full set in original colour.

I think that the 10-340 + 2x 10-341 is accurate, besides the details (car numbers etc.)? What is specifically not prototypical about it?

Anyway, I prefer the KATO version because I can kitbash it so the engine car has interior lighting on both levels. I can't live with the TOMIX version not having this feature, even the latest one. The best solution is that KATO will re-release the E1 but I think they won't bother....

Edited by Yavianice

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, Yavianice said:

Hi all!

I am looking for a KATO 10-340 and 2x KATO 10-341 E1 Shinkansen. Unfortunately not the TOMIX version (sorry JR500!)

Only as a full set. 

Cheers and thanks for looking!

No worries mate! 

2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

I think that the 10-340 + 2x 10-341 is accurate, besides the details (car numbers etc.)? What is specifically not prototypical about it?

Anyway, I prefer the KATO version because I can kitbash it so the engine car has interior lighting on both levels. I can't live with the TOMIX version not having this feature, even the latest one. The best solution is that KATO will re-release the E1 but I think they won't bother....

Yap that hideous engine block on the Tomix E4 made a little regret to me for selling off my Kato E4... 

Here's one full set here on Yahoo Auctions... you might wish to try your luck:

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/c652077276

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oenckie said:

Hi Ochanomizu,

Than, what is missing in the missing in the 10-340 + 2x 10-341 combination?

Regards,

Marco

Hello Marco and Yavianice,

When the E1 was manufacturered provision was made for 3 pantos, but only 2 were installed.  Thus, one car has provision for a panto, but no panto fitted.  The Tomix sets have this modelled accurately.  The Kato set does not.  Pantos are installed on E155 (car 6) and E145 (car 10). The 3rd panto would have been installed on car E155-100 (car 2)  The roof of car 2 looks correct on the roof of the Tomix model, but not the Kato model. Thus, the Kato model is physically incorrect, not just car numbers or lettering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I can live with the Panto over the fact of the hideous motor in the Tomix version that prevents interior lighting. I find that a more obvious “unprototypical” error :-D

About the 100 shinkansen (which I also have from KATO) it’s fine too, as, as far as I know, only KATO Modelled the 100 shinkansen with 4 double decker cars instead of the ordinary 2 double decker cars found on Micro Ace and Tomix versions.

And the E3 Toreiyu Tsubasa is not prototypical at all either from KATO, but I'm not complaining and love it all the same ;)

(EDIT) I forgot about the Tomix 100 shinkansen 92286 base and extension which also has 4 double decker cars. But that's alright. I'm satisfied with my choice, as I do not have the space for 16 cars shinkansens so I won't be running them prototypically normally anyway :-)

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Got a KATO E1 full set. Thank you all!

Did you win that auction buddy? If you did, it's a great score! Nice bargain pricing there!

• Like 1