Kato sound box w/ added effects

Ultratram

Ultratram

I have been experimenting with the Mic input on my kato sound box to see if I could add more than what was on the sound card.

I found an app on Google play, a platform station simulator for the Yamanote line. So I put my e231 and e235 on the tracks. E231 commuter sound card loaded and had the app running on my phone plugged into the Mic.

The app has sounds for anoucments and station melodies. Sadly only could find and app for the yamanote line but it was a blast to be able to get some added sound effects.

It's a little tricky to get sound levels right. Can't play too many effects at once. 

I know tomix has a station sound box. I am not sure what it's features are. I am thinking I could get some kind of simple trigger box and upload sounds I want.

If anyone else has been able to do something similar I would be interested in knowing what you have done with your sound box or other devices.

• Thanks 2

Getting a raspberry pi with an audio amp add on could work. For triggers, you could add a button input card with many buttons or use a small bluetooth keyboard.

Imho, combining the Tomix station and Tomytec lineside sound kits with the Kato box is the most simple solution. (both the Kato and Tomix boxes have mic inputs, so the Tomytec box would have to go the end of the chain)

Ultratram
10 hours ago, kvp said:

Getting a raspberry pi with an audio amp add on could work. For triggers, you could add a button input card with many buttons or use a small bluetooth keyboard.

Imho, combining the Tomix station and Tomytec lineside sound kits with the Kato box is the most simple solution. (both the Kato and Tomix boxes have mic inputs, so the Tomytec box would have to go the end of the chain)

Well I do have a raspberry pi 3, a B+ and a smaller A+ to tinker  with. I use my Rip 3 to run JMRI through a sprog 3 for my North American trains. I have stuck with DC for my japanese trains with no plans to convert to dcc. 

As far as plugging everyhing in with the tomix and tomytec modules a small mixing board might work. Depending on how far you want to go.

I will have a look at what I could do with one of my Rip. Thanks.