Kiha 40 in Sapporo

Hey All!

I’m currently in Sapporo and would love to take a day trip tomorrow on something a bit older, like the picture below ( Kiha40? or something like that). Any suggestions?

I will also be in Hakodate Monday/Tuesday and could do similar from there.

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

56C62085-2EA9-4192-B583-066CF2E5C876.jpeg

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Sekisho Line from Chitose to Oiwake.  Oiwake to Iwamizawa on the Muroran Line.  Return to Sapporo from Iwamizawa on electrified line.  This is your best bet.  

• Like 1

On my way to Wakkanai I had to chang trains at Asahikawa. Lots of KiHa 40 there. Not sure if they're used on the Furano Line but I know they serve the Hakodate Main Line to Takikawa from there. Takikawa then is also served by the Nemuro Line which also uses KiHa 40 on the local services.

It takes around 90 minutes by limited express from Sapporo to Asahikawa. If you take the Okhotsk you could get lucky and be able to ride the high-cab KiHa 183-200 series. If I recall correctly the last remaining ones will be removed from service in the coming months.

Edited by Suica
On 05/05/2018 at 11:19 PM, Suica said:

On my way to Wakkanai I had to chang trains at Asahikawa. Lots of KiHa 40 there. Not sure if they're used on the Furano Line but I know they serve the Hakodate Main Line to Takikawa from there. Takikawa then is also served by the Nemuro Line which also uses KiHa 40 on the local services.

It takes around 90 minutes by limited express from Sapporo to Asahikawa. If you take the Okhotsk you could get lucky and be able to ride the high-cab KiHa 183-200 series. If I recall correctly the last remaining ones will be removed from service in the coming months.

Sorry for not replying sooner,

Despite the early start, I did catch the Okhotsk, which was very cool. It was indeed a 183, the inside was quite different to what I was expecting.

From Asahikawa I actually caught a Kiha40 along the lines back to Sapporo, swapped to another @ Takikawa, then caught a local train back from Iwamizawa which was great. I love the feel and pace of the KiHa40, everything slows down a bit, and there is time to take in everything going on. 

I have ave caught a few more from Hakodate the last few days, as well as getting some photos of the yards and a Yellow and a white model that are labeled as ‘South Hokkaido Railway’.... 

Pictures to come in a few weeks.

• Like 1
On 5/9/2018 at 12:59 PM, Suica said:

Awesome! I'm glad this worked out so well.

Looking forward to those photos.

Well, Today is the day!

2i7Kui5.jpg

BRGUKtN.jpg

0VxzNzj.jpg

H2FsOcf.jpg

QXm1U4F.jpg

MkoVNIg.jpg

56R87GG.jpg

2nqEps8.jpg

nUHNq7G.jpg

Edited by jasona2z