There is a prototype for everything... (Worldwide Rail)

Socimi

It appears the Shorty is an American invention.  St. Joseph Valley Traction had a gas electric motor. Judging by the type and photo this is early twentieth century. Couldn't have been much traffic on that line.   Kato where are you??

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/Images/hicks_gas-electric_1907_lrg.jpg

Here is more info.   https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/hicks_loco_special.htm

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4
On 7/15/2022 at 9:31 PM, Welshbloke said:

The Berninabahn has something similar at Alp Grüm, although theirs looks to be a way of getting the longest possible loop in the station without needing to put a set of points on a tight curve at one end.

The points used to be on the curve, however RhB got tired of having to replace them frequently so in 2006 they adopted the present arrangement.

Cheers Nicholas

• Like 1
On 6/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, bill937ca said:

You want narrow streets and trams?  Lisbon is the world champ.  This is Rua das Escolas Gerais and the photos were taken 17 July 2015. This is two-way track controlled by traffic lights with auto traffic in one direction only. Waiting for the tram I watch for vibrations on the wires.

I have to plan my shot so I have an alley or doorway to duck into when the tram comes. From inside the tram you can reach out and touch the walls.

Apparently one of the stops along Escolas Gerais is in front of a restaurant. Very convenient - step off the tram straight into a table and a plateful of bacalhau com batatas (cod and potatoes).

Cheers Nicholas

• Like 2

You have a 3-axle very West German Bundesbahn-era "Deutsche Weinstraße" coach (yup):

48698738233_2492548a7c_z.jpg

Roco WG3yge 835 "Deutsche Weinstraße" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

and were wondering how you could justify running one on a Berlin-inspired layout (well not really).

Fear not, the internet will randomly serve up a justification anyway: https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?017,9588898 (fourth picture down).

• Like 1
VR_Densha_Otaku

My own personal Photo, a Massive Diesel locomotive called a V/line N class running with a 1920's era Diesel railcar (we call them DERMS) on a rescue run, the DERM is possibly the only EMC styled Diesel railcar to run on the mainline under it's own power in the world.

The story is that DERM 58RM had failed requiring N470 to retrive it from a place called warnabool, this is the only time it has happened since the late 90's. I was on another railtour that was also having failures too (we climed over a grade using a diesel that was designed for light branches) 

image.thumb.png.30d76ffcd7aa560c3fdbe25cdd6860f2.png

Shop moves with 1920s vintage four wheel tram motors.  The yellow subway train is from Budapest's shallow subway of 1896.  As far as i know the Muki still run.

Video by WorksHoP Projekt

Edited by bill937ca