Container Compatability (HO)

GDorsett

Hey, all.

Looking to expand my (currently small) fleet of KoKi 104 in HO, however, I don't want eight (or the eventual goal of twelve) cars with all those perfectly matching, brown, JRF containers. Some will get removed, but I'd like to have some variety in the mix, as they seem rarely be uniform on the prototype. Are Tomix 12' containers compatible with Kato's container cars or do I have to get more Kato containers? I've had issues with this in N scale just among Kato stuff. The current line of KoKi 5500 that come with containers can't be interchanged with some 104 I got later on, as the 5500 car itself is narrower than 104.

Thanks!

In HO scale Kato Koki can only use Kato containers and Tomix Koki can only use Tomix containers due to the different mounting systems.  I am not sure about the Morita as I don't own any. You could possibly modify Tomix containers to fit Kato Koki cars or vice versa, I was going to try this at one point but decided to by some Tomix Koki 106 and 50000 instead to make my HO container train.  Tomix has a much larger selection for HO containers.

I have 4 Kato Koki 104 (2 with brown JRF container and 2 with the blue JR containers), 3 Tomix Koki 50000 and 6 Tomix Koki 106 with  a mixture of Tomix containers.

The problem is with the fixed Kato attachments. The Tomix Kokis have 3 different attachment clips depending on what you’re wanting to load. One for 12’ containers, one for 20’ or longer and one for an empty rack. Each clips and unclips if you want to rearrange the load. Detail wise the Tomix Kokis are nicely molded but the bogies are better on the Kato 104s as they have moving axle bolts. The upside is the choice of containers for Tomix and it’s a bit annoying that they’re not interchangeable with Kato. As mentioned, Kato did produce the Koki 104 twin pack with blue JR 18D containers but these weren’t re-run recently like the 19D versions.

I have some Tomix 107s, 106s and a couple of 200s with a variety of 12’, 20’ and 30’ containers. I have changed all couplers to Kadee #158s as the Tomix couplers are especially long. Again Kato is better here as replacing couplers meet the Kadee height gauge perfectly whereas the Tomix need some tuning to avoid unexpected uncoupling. 

I’ve not tried the Morita containers either but I’d be keen to get some of their 20’ JOT ISO tanks. Not sure whether they favour the Tomix attachment or Kato.

I have the recent twin packs of 104, two of them, to be specific. It's the...19D container? (Doesn't know containers yet.)

And I definitly like the moving axle bolts. They're really annoying to put on, but they just look so nice.

And what Kadee would you suggest for them? The shank on the standard #5 is too short and I don't know enough about the couplers to know what to get. Normally, I wouldn't care, but one of the rules for my HO club's OP sessions is that everything must have metal couplers.

Yes the deep red JRF containers on the Kato Koki 104s are 19D containers.

I made a slight error in my previous comment. I have used Kadee #158s (whisker spring) on my locos and #58s on my Kokis and Takis (tanker wagons) The #58s have a separate copper spring which fits into the gearbox. Both of these couplers are medium length shank and I find they look more realistic than the #5s and give a “prototypical” looking distance between wagons.

BAECA81F-18C9-475C-8AD9-2F64A746A47B.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there any places I should,look for Kato containers? My main source (Plaza Japan on EBay) and Hobby Search don't seem to have any Kato containers...

44 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Are there any places I should,look for Kato containers? My main source (Plaza Japan on EBay) and Hobby Search don't seem to have any Kato containers...

Model Train Plus has a couple of KOKIs:

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/ho-scale-freight-cars-new

Otherwise just Tomix containers.

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/ho-scale-containers-new

1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Do you have KATO part numbers?   Always look up the part numbers on Amazon.co.jp.  If nothing else for reference.  But usually your overall cost will be cheapest if you can buy it from Amazon on amazon.co.jp (not from a marketplace seller on Amazon.co.jp, but with Amazon being the actual seller)

Plaza Japan and MTP are also my main source for HO containers as most other shops are sold out. They are all Tomix containers though,  I don't think Kato has ever offered containers as a separate purchase as they sell their Koki loaded.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Plaza-Japan/HO-Scale-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=561975&_sid=169030440&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

Also for new release HO containers I suggest you pre order them, they sell out quick on release and a rerun could be years away, currently Tomix has HO-3134 Private Class U48A-38000 Container (K.R.S. Corporation, 2pcs) up for release in July. I am debating pre ordering this container as my fleet is full, I guess I will have to buy another Tomix Koki ;)

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10520236

On 4/30/2018 at 12:23 AM, bill937ca said:

Model Train Plus has a couple of KOKIs:

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/ho-scale-freight-cars-new

Otherwise just Tomix containers.

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/ho-scale-containers-new

Okay, will look there next.

On 4/30/2018 at 12:53 AM, chadbag said:

Do you have KATO part numbers?   Always look up the part numbers on Amazon.co.jp.  If nothing else for reference.  But usually your overall cost will be cheapest if you can buy it from Amazon on amazon.co.jp (not from a marketplace seller on Amazon.co.jp, but with Amazon being the actual seller)

I do not have part numbers. It may be listed in the packaging, though. Will look.

On 4/30/2018 at 7:11 AM, keiichi77 said:

Plaza Japan and MTP are also my main source for HO containers as most other shops are sold out. They are all Tomix containers though,  I don't think Kato has ever offered containers as a separate purchase as they sell their Koki loaded.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Plaza-Japan/HO-Scale-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=561975&_sid=169030440&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

Also for new release HO containers I suggest you pre order them, they sell out quick on release and a rerun could be years away, currently Tomix has HO-3134 Private Class U48A-38000 Container (K.R.S. Corporation, 2pcs) up for release in July. I am debating pre ordering this container as my fleet is full, I guess I will have to buy another Tomix Koki ;)

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10520236

I don't think I'll be getting Tomix containers at the moment, but that could change since I haven't found more Kato ones...

I don’t believe Kato sell the HO containers as a spare (Assyparts) They’re certainly not listed on the spares sheet so it’s a case of buy more Kokis with the same container.

I do see the Kato JR blue 18D containers from time to time but only in places that sell used items such as Hobbyland Pochi or Popondetta and they are usually sold individually.

I would probably suggest buying some Tomix Kokis and then mixing them into your train. Then you have a wide choice of containers to make your train look more realistic. You do see wagons loaded with similar containers so it’s not uncommon to see a Koki with 5 red/brown JRF containers. You could also weather some of them to make them look different.

I also agree with Keiichi about their availability. I buy them when I see them now as I’ve gone back to places a week or so later and they’ve sold out. I’m slowly building up a variety of Tomix containers.

5DA947D5-111E-4CF8-AD86-B1117381E0D2.jpeg

• Like 1

Okay, may have to do that.

How expensive are Tomix KoKis versus the Katos?

Kato Koki 104 twin packs are pretty good value as you get 2 loaded wagons for ¥7000.

A single unloaded Tomix Koki costs ¥2500 then you’re looking at around ¥2000-¥3000 to load it. A loaded version, such as a Koki 106 with 2x 30 foot Yamato containers are about ¥5000.

So that's not too bad. Will have to look into it.

Are there modern KoKi that have enclosed bearing hubs? I like my spinning ones on the Katos

I find that the Tomix KOKI's hubs don't spin, the Kato ones do. However, when running a train with both Tomix and Kato KOKI's, you can't tell that some are spinning and some are not at normal viewing distances.