Kato DCC Decoder List

Gilshrat

Does anyone know of a good website with a list of Kato Japanese locomotives and their corresponding "drop-in" decoders. All the lists I can find are only for their NA models, but I know that many of the light boards used in NA models are also used in the Japanese models and therefore there are compatible decoders out there for many Japanese models as well.

Thanks

With a few exceptions, I don't think Digitrax lists Japanese locomotives.

Both Digitrax and TCS make decoders that should fit various engines.  Figuring out which is a hit or miss or a Google exercise.   Some of the engines are listed in the forum with their corresponding Digitrax so searching here as a start is a good idea.

I'll be buying some TCS later this year and I'll report back which ones work for which.

Ok thanks for the information. Right now the only loco I need a decoder for is the ED16 (item # 3068). I found the correct decoder (dn163k4a) after a bit of research. My Japanese is limited, but I tried searching the Kato website and did find a list of locos the DN1634A decoder works with, but it dosn't appear that Kato has a decoder look up function like Digitrax has.

In the future though, I hope to expand my locomotive collection and being able to know if there is a drop in decoder available for a particular model will increase my chases of buying it over one that doesn't.

Do you mean DN163K4a?  I have that one and the ED16, I can test it when I get home later today.  If I remember correctly it fits, but I think the light pipes require trimming before the shell will sit fully back on the chassis.  For some reason digitrax put the LED too far forward for most locomotives.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:43 AM, Kiha66 said:

Do you mean DN163K4a?  I have that one and the ED16, I can test it when I get home later today.  If I remember correctly it fits, but I think the light pipes require trimming before the shell will sit fully back on the chassis.  For some reason digitrax put the LED too far forward for most locomotives.

Thanks for the info. I did get a hold of a DN163k4A and installed it into the ED16. I had no issues and had no need to modify the shell to get the decoder to fit.

5 hours ago, Gilshrat said:

Thanks for the info. I did get a hold of a  DN163k4A and installed it into the ED16. I had no issues and had no need to modify the shell to get the decoder to fit.

Glad to hear it!  Was the DN163k4A you got thinner than the stock lightboard?  I had to install some shims under mine to make sure it stayed in contact with the frame.

On 4/28/2018 at 12:42 AM, Kiha66 said:

Glad to hear it!  Was the DN163k4A you got thinner than the stock lightboard?  I had to install some shims under mine to make sure it stayed in contact with the frame.

It appeared to be the same width as the the DC light board. I never measured it, but when I installed it it made good contact with the power leads on the frame.

• Thanks 1

Hello...as per my knowledge both Digitrax and TCS make decoders that should fit various engines. The pcb assembly of the decoders almost contains all the required components and ports on it to support the different requirements. Figuring out which is a hit or miss or a Google exercise.   Some of the engines are listed in the forum with their corresponding Digitrax so searching here as a start is a good idea.

Edited by FransSacco
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, FransSacco said:

Hello...as per my knowledge both Digitrax and TCS make decoders that should fit various engines.  Figuring out which is a hit or miss or a Google exercise.   Some of the engines are listed in the forum with their corresponding Digitrax so searching here as a start is a good idea.

Yes

The Digitrax DN163K0a is basically the same as the TCS K0D8-x family (where the -x represents -A, -B etc and represents various LED configurations).  One difference is that the Digitrax seems to have motor tab pads underneath as well as on top and TCS only has them on top.  And often the LEDs need to be rearranged or shortened or replaced to match the placement on the KATO board you are replacing.  A lot of locomotives use this base style board with LED modifications.  Sometimes body shells need a little modification as the extra chips on the decoders make them a wee bit taller in different areas than the KATO boards.

The Digitrax DN163K4a is basically the same as the TCS K7D4 and there are lots of locomotives that use this style as well.  I've had to do less modifying to make these work in terms of LED placements or body shell contact.