GamesOnTrack with KATO

Does anybody on this forum have experience with the system delivered by GamesOnTrack? See http://www.gamesontrack.com/pages/webside.asp?articleGuid=164198  I saw this being demonstrated at a fair the other day and it seemed quite reliable and versatile.

It is a Danish made system whereby the position and identity of a train (or any other moving object) is detected using Ultrasonic sound. The system has 3 transmitters/receivers to triangulate a miniature transmitter/receiver fitted in the roof of a train. 
Allegedly there is no need for complex block detection and ditto wiring. By configuring your lay-out and the length of your trains in the computer, and the constant triangulation of the signals, the PC figures out where the train is (and its head and tail) and gives commands for its speed. There is something for interior lights as well. The PCB in the train is wired between the wheels and the motor just like DDC. Turn-out control is provided as well but not specifically made for KATO 2-wire turn-outs. 

The system appeals to me because it seems to be possible to implement a train automation system without extensive block wiring (which is difficult to do in an existing lay-out with completed scenery). 

Does anybody has experience with this system.?

First i'm going to assume, you meant GamesOnTrack GT Position system, which is the positioning system for their products. I never used that system but the description indicates that is uses standard DCC for controlling the trains and the layout and uses the ultrasonic transmitters for train location only and has an automation software package that uses the train location data to control the locomotives, turnouts and signals with standard DCC commands. The system also supports other critters, like moving road vehicles and ships, with Faller Digital (using DCC over radio) listed as supported.

The system uses a ultrasound, which means the receivers must hear the transmitters. This means the transmitters have to be placed in a location that is not fully covered by the shell. Also any covered sections (like long tunnels) would make the receivers loose track of the train. This works as long as the enterance and the exit of a tunnel is set up to be in the same logical section and there are no turnouts in the tunnels. The practical limits seems to around 6 to 15 transmitters powered up. I couldn't find any info, but the larger the scale, the more precise it gets. The demos use H0 scale and while N is half the size, it's 1/8th of the volume, so the tolerances are smaller. The listed scales that are supported are 0, 1, G, H0 and Lego.

While i never tested this system, i know that the ultrasound indoor triangulation technology works. You'll need at least 3 sensors for reliable 2D and maybe even more for usable 3D positioning. If you have lots of scenery, like tall mountains or high buildings, overhead masts and bridges and tightly packed double track lines, then it might err more than with a flatland single track layout, but these errors could be corrected if the software is smart enough. (similarly how a car gps could always place you on the road, despite small positioning errors) I can't say anything how compatible their software is with various DCC systems, but they do list a lot of them as supported.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot KVP,

Not sure I understand what you are saying about using standard DCC for controlling the trains. It uses it's own receiver/transmitter/decoders as far as I can tell.  You need to power the track with at least 14 VDC and that's it. 
Where did you read about using standard DCC? 

Jan

4 hours ago, JanW said:

Not sure I understand what you are saying about using standard DCC for controlling the trains. It uses it's own receiver/transmitter/decoders as far as I can tell.  You need to power the track with at least 14 VDC and that's it. 

Where did you read about using standard DCC? 

http://www.gamesontrack.com

T-Xconnect combines H0 railroad DCC over radio with positioning. DCC input can come from any DCC-controller or PC.

GT-Xconnect combines Loconet device control with positioning and automatic operations. 

GT-Xconnect combines control and position of Lego NXT robots.

GT-Xconnect combines control of Faller cars and layout devices with positioning and Automatic drive.

GT-Xconnect with GT-Xcontrol combines DCC operation of Gauge G/1/0 trains with positioning and radio control of devices.

All of the train related entries mention DDC with any DCC controller. This means you can have the DCC signal in the rails or sent over radio. The faller digital car system is also DCC over radio.

There is an ultrasound system for positioning and a radio system for wireless control. The two systems are independent, but can work together. If you have DCC in the tracks, you only need the smaller ultrasound emitters and the positioning receivers and control everything from your own DCC system. If you don't, then they say the radio receiver/ultrasound emitter may fit into some H0 and N locomotives but it's meant for larger scales. There is a pc software and there are DCC bridge circuits available for different systems.

http://en.shop.gamesontrack.dk/gt-xcontrol-n-h0-loco-uk.aspx

With this module you run full DCC by radio using DC or DCC on rails - or with battery supply.

Very relevant for upgrade of analogue trains or trains with little free space.CV programmering direkte over radio.
Requires GT-Xconnect as radio master

This is DCC over radio. Pretty much how the Faller digital car system works.

The only exception is the dedicated Lego train receiver which also supports IR functions to be compatible with the Lego PF1 system that uses IR remote codes. (the new Lego PF2 system also works over radio)