Coming JR Train Retirements

The list is long and it seems to focus on the consequence of new trains added ahead of the 2020 Olympics. Includes E4 Shinkansen,  Series 500, E2 Series, Series 700,  E351 Series,  Kiha 183,  Series 485, Series 183, Series 185, Series 189, Series 381, Series 783, Kita 185, Series 103, Series 205, Series 105, Series 417, Series 113, Series 115, Series 117,   211 series 5000 · 6000 series,  Series 311, Series 415,  Series 123, Series 713, Kiha 66, Kiha 11, and Kiha 40  It may be that accelerated train replacement will be hidden as a cost of the Olympics. I found the link to this Japanese language website on Facebook.

https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2142777255868408301?&page=1

Retirements frequently occur around March 17/18 about the end of the school year and before the end of the Japanese  fiscal year end March 31st.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Sad 1

I think a few of these might already be gone, namely the 485 and 189, with the 183 soon to follow.  I suppose some 30 years on from the end of JNR most are well towards the end of there lives, but it's still sad to see them go. 

Yes, I believe you are right. The article was dated January 25, 2018. I suppose also with a major world-wide focus event like the Olympics Japan does not want to be known as a country of 40 year old trains.

Edited by bill937ca

Pristine DD51 belonging to JR East at Takasaki at the end of last month from my recent Japan trip.

Also in the depot was the last EF60 still in regular use, EF60-19, again in pristine condition so hopefully not all old JNR relics will disappear pre-Olympics...

The JRF DD51 at Aichi however are starting to fall with most now out of use or on the scrap line, I estimate that of the something like 16 remaining extant in Aichi, only 4 or 5 are still in regular use having been pushed out by the DF200-2xx for economic reasons.

DD51.PNG

• Like 4

If any of this is Olympics driven, freight locomotives should be less impacted as they are not "customer facing."   Unless you are a train watcher, you won't notice 40 year old locomotives.    DD51 and DE10 don't "look" old when compared to diesels in the rest of the world.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2018 at 8:17 AM, chadbag said:

If any of this is Olympics driven, freight locomotives should be less impacted as they are not "customer facing."   Unless you are a train watcher, you won't notice 40 year old locomotives.    DD51 and DE10 don't "look" old when compared to diesels in the rest of the world.

However, it depends on how fast can KHI's Hyogo assembly line build the new DD200 freight locomotive. If we see a lot of DD200's go out the door from the Hyogo factory in 2019, then we could see a lot of DE10's an DD51's head to the scrap line.

As for the 381's, JR West has to announce very soon what will they replace them with. Since the 287 Series is still technically available, I wouldn't be surprised that JR West orders a number of them to replace the retiring 381's on the Yakumo service. Also, with JR West making new orders for the 227 Series, there could soon be an announcement that JR West will replace all the 113/115 Series trainsets west of Himeji with the 227 Series over the next several years.

The article says that JR Tokai has already completely retired the KiHa 40 series, and that the KiHa 40 series is planned to be withdrawn from the Niigata region by 2019, and from the Akita region by 2020.

The article is far from complete though, as for example JR Hokkaido has announced to completely replace their KiHa 40 fleet with the new H100 series.

Edited by Densha

Last Sunday had the Goodbye Run for 189 Series M52. Missed it. Tomorrow M51 will make its Goodbye Run.  From Toyoda Station to Nagano Station. Starts at 11:08. Will be making a trip west in the early morning to get a nice shot. That night, will be at Shinjuku Station before midnight to shoot the Moonlight Shinshu. Unfortunately, I believe that the green striped 189 has been replaced  by E257s. Haven't tried to shoot one in a few years. Saturday morning, I plan to be at Shinjuku to see what the extra Azusa after 9:00 will use. They had previously used a 189. 

https://tetsudo-ch.com/33962.html

http://www.jreast.co.jp/hachioji/aas/180305_189last.pdf

Grant

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some pictures taken of the Good Bye Last Run on April 27, 2018.

9whbx6t.jpg

Went early and walked from Toyoda Station to the west fence along the Toyoda Vehicle Center.  Some fans came by to shoot M51 parked at the center.

xaYYHdU.jpg

There is a vacant field next to the center, but I don't think access is permitted. 

PB2fbFS.jpg

chVwXkS.jpg

GRM6M5C.jpg

Un6CfiQ.jpg

dSG9Iy3.jpg

2Bfay8S.jpg

NpkGu9x.jpg

wO3CPco.jpg

D9u8cko.jpg

1Q769BU.jpg

Access to the lane next to the fence is through this crossing. I neglected to shoot from the opposite side showing the vehicle center in the background. It's about 15 minutes from Toyoda Station on foot. 

UIoPXlx.jpg

Vqz1Iqp.jpg

jJcXhoh.jpg

Looking towards Toyoda Station.

sF49k8d.jpg

Looking towards Hachioji Station.

RK8rsRf.jpg

You can see Mt. Fuji from here.

QStFAU3.jpg

More to come.

Grant

I edited the links so that you can see them here.

Edited by gmat
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There weren't as many fans along the fence as I had expected. 

At 10:56 AM M51 emerged from behind the parked cars. 

UmcV6eG.jpg

Catenary poles, the bane of getting an uncluttered shot.

RYLAGga.jpg

kEQyVkH.jpg

ATJye19.jpg

DsSI2xy.jpg

gSq3N2I.jpg

1bbTo8h.jpg

kdNXEf1.jpg

xVZqYq1.jpg

A few fans were perched on the pedestrian overpass to shoot an uncluttered overhead shot.

pm3ocwv.jpg

g1OK9rv.jpg

More to come,

Grant

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Ochanomizu said:

It breaks my heart to see them go.

お久しぶりです m(__)m

Yes it's unfortunate to see this type retiring.  M51 looks especially good with the JNR logo :grin.  Well, there's still the 185 series operating in the greater Tokyo area... for now :(

I believe 189 Series trainsets M50, M51 and M52 are all scheduled to be scrapped. :-( M50 is currently at the Nagano Comprehensive Vehicle Center sitting on the scrapyard line, I believe. 

The 185 Series trainsets are likely next, now that the E257's that originally ran in Azusa service are being reassigned to Okoriko service. It'll be interesting to see what trainsets will be used in Home Liner limited express commuter service by 2020.

• Sad 1

It appears that the Nagano Comprehensive Vehicle Center is going to be very busy scrapping a LOT of train sets over the next several months. 

It's all a conspiracy to get hobbyists to have to buy more trainsets (as new ones are released representing the new trains going into services replacing old ones).

• Haha 1

If you think this is crazy, just wait till JR West makes a MASSIVE order for 227 Series train sets to replace the aging 103, 105, 113, 115 and 117 Series train sets. We're talking potentially 300-plus cars, and whatever scrap yard JR West uses will be busy for quite some time.

Also, Shinano Railway mentioned just recently they too want a new train set to replace the 115 Series, even though they could get a lot of spares from other 115 Series retirements throughout Japan. Could it mean Shinano is eyeing the JR East E129 Series?