Requesting Information on an ED61

GDorsett

So, this came in the package with a Tomix track cleaner. Can't seem to find any information other than 60s/70s and that the ED62 was just an ED61 with a unpowered fifth axle to spread out the weight for a branch line I cannot remember the name of.

Due to the red, I assume this is supposed to be for JR Freight,  but it did not come with any head plates or markings other than number boards and builder's plates.

So, I guess, what was it used for? When was it used? And who used it where?

0108182304c.jpg

0108182304d.jpg

Okay, thank you!

I seems that it was a mainline engine for hauling freight through the mountainous areas through the '60s. Or at least that's what I can gather through Google's translation. Kind of difficult to read.

One thing is you can kind of tell where things are used by the power source.  There are both AC (20kV / 50hz or sometimes 60hz) and DC (1500 V) sections of mainline track in Japan, and locomotives for each (and some dual voltage locomotives that can go everywhere).   I don't know all the differences but the DC seems to be Tokyo and south.  (I am sure there are some exceptions and I could be wrong about exactly where).

JNR ED61, DC electric locomotive used on for example the Chuo line from 1958 to 1979 mostly for freight. All of them were modified to ED62 type with a middle trailer axle for operation on the Iida line. Some older Chuo line EMUs were also transferred to the Iida around the same time.

Afaik the real locos were brown, then blue (=DC) so this red paint looks less prototypical for me.

scotspensioner

My reading of the translation is that it was used in the Kofu area on steep grades but we're gradually ousted by the EF64-1000.18 were built and they were all later rebuilt as ED 62.

My understanding of the electric systems is that the Tokyo area and the central and middle parts of Honshu are DC which extends as far north as Kurosio and west to Shimenoseki.

AC was used in Northern Honshu and in Hokkaido and Kyushu which were later electrifications (1960 or so later)I believe the changeover point on the Sea of Japan line was about Toyama.

22 hours ago, kvp said:

JNR ED61, DC electric locomotive used on for example the Chuo line from 1958 to 1979 mostly for freight. All of them were modified to ED62 type with a middle trailer axle for operation on the Iida line. Some older Chuo line EMUs were also transferred to the Iida around the same time.

Afaik the real locos were brown, then blue (=DC) so this red paint looks less prototypical for me.

Yeah, I notice this as well. Almost any pictures or models I find are brown with the later ones being JR blue with a cream coloured panel on the front below the windscreens.

This one is red I guess because it was painted to match the Track Cleaning car. There is also a blue varient, but it lacks the cream box on the ends as well, so neither technically would be completely proto, although the set with engine/cleaner was significantly cheaper than if I had bought them separately.

From what I understand, the red painted locos were mostly JNR (and later JR) AC electrics, while the DC ones were mostly brown then later blue.

Actually, I wonder if tomix was working from a black and white picture of a brown locomotive, some of them do look like they could be red without any color picture to double check.  I know such a thing happened to Lionel where they mistakenly thought the stainless steel of a Santa Fe locomotive was painted black.

45 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Actually, I wonder if tomix was working from a black and white picture of a brown locomotive, some of them do look like they could be red without any color picture to double check.  I know such a thing happened to Lionel where they mistakenly thought the stainless steel of a Santa Fe locomotive was painted black.

I'm pretty sure it was intentional like leaving off the warning panel from the blue variant. The correct brown and blue variants are available with correct paint and lettering, just with a higher price for the solo locomotive. Tomix have a history of fantasy paint for service equipment, like the various small 3 axle diesels.

ps: some older DC electrics were black with a yellow trim (besides the common brown), while some early modern locos were unpainted stainless steel

Edited by kvp

Hmm, interesting.

Never actually seen any stainless engines outside of DMU/EMU and American's Fs, Es, F-As, and P-As (SantaFe full-bodied diesels)

1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Ah.

Used in salty ares along thee shore, it seems. The stainless combats rust well.

Even better, for the under sea tunnel between Honshu and Kyushu.  As it was dug in the 1930s, it apparently leaked seawater quite badly.  Originally there were stainless versions of the mass produced EF10, then the class of EF30 was produced solely for the run.  They were then replaced with stainless versions of the EF81, and now no special locomotive is used and trains pass through with whatever they have.  

Sounds like the little bo-bo electrics that GE built to haul steam through the cities in the 30s.

Was the tunnel ever fixed from leaking or is it still a rust hazard?