Japanese Music

chadbag

Also a great Band.

I like this one a bunch, since its so Tokyo. The Underground scene is insane.Saw them perform 2 years ago.Sadly they split up.

• Thanks 1

Just found this band. I find it amazing, that pretty much every band in Japan knows how to play instruments.

Edited by Sascha
  • Thanks 1
On 5/2/2018 at 2:35 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

Dir en Grey, Wagakki Band, Maaya Sakamoto, RADWIMPS, Angela, Yae, various soundtracks by mostly Yoko Kanno, Joe Hisaishi, Yuki Kajiura, Kenji Kawai, bunch of game soundtracks as well (Final Fantasy, Nier Automata, Nioh)...

I've been listening to Wagakki Band on YouTube a lot recently.   Really interesting.  I'd like to see them live.    They are probably very good live.  Seen lots of suggestions on YouTube for them to play at the 2020 Olympics.   Would be an excellent choice.

I like listening to the Wagakki Band bass player.  She is quite good and plays quite tastefully, though I have a hard time watching her right hand as she plays with a pick (I play finger style).

DOLL$BOXX has some new stuff out and Band Maid keeps pumping out new stuff.

Lots to listen to as a diversion from the same old Western pop and singer/songwriter stuff you hear on the radio.   (Though on the "Classic Rock" station here in Utah I heard YES "I've Seen All Good People" today while driving to my daughter's band's end of summer semester concert and that got me interested in going back to my YES collection [I probably have more YES albums than any other single group)

• Like 1
On 5/9/2018 at 11:25 PM, Sascha said:

Also a great Band.

I like this one a bunch, since its so Tokyo. The Underground scene is insane.Saw them perform 2 years ago.Sadly they split up.

I like these last two. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
On 4/8/2018 at 6:25 AM, Sascha said:

I just discoverd this band last week. Drops

This has a nice subtle edginess that's unusual for Japanese music. I love the train footage too!

• Like 1

So is

On 5/17/2019 at 11:14 PM, chadbag said:

Just FYI

BABYMETAL is doing a US Tour this summer (2019).

So is Band Maid. Gonna see them both in Dallas.

Last year they only did CA, so adding NY and Dallas is a plus.I guess they add more next year, when they are more known here.

• Like 1
marknewton

I have no idea what the name of this band is, but they go OFF! 🤘🤘🤘

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

Well I just watched Baby Metal’s set at Glastonbury on the bbc and I’ve no idea what to make of it. Some of the audience were really into it, but others were not quite sure what they were watching, a bit like me.

7 hours ago, Keith said:

Well I just watched Baby Metal’s set at Glastonbury on the bbc and I’ve no idea what to make of it. Some of the audience were really into it, but others were not quite sure what they were watching, a bit like me.

that is the usual first reaction 🙂   It is interesting to watch some of their early metal festival appearances.  Most of the crowd doesn't know what to think, though by the end of the set most people have started to dig it...

When I first heard Baby Metal I binged on it.  Since then, I listen occasionally and have tickets for their US Tour this Fall but I can't claim t be a fanboy or anything but I do like and appreciate it.

• Like 1

So we went to the Baby Metal concert here in SLC area last night.  Was fun with a lot of energy.  I was disappointed that the actual Kami Band was not there backing them up -- based on twitter it is a US base set of musicians.  They did a good job.  We were quite close (25 or so feet) and based on some YouTube videos others posted from the event, the sound may have been a bit better a little further away. 

It was kind of short at 65 min.  Plus the warm up band, some metal band from Sweden called Avatar played about 40-45 min and 25 min intermission for changing sets meant that it was a little over 2 hours total.  I had hoped for a 90 min set by Baby Metal but it was fun.  I don't know if I would go again unless it were a bigger venue and the actual Kami Band. Probably need to see them in Japan for that.

Avatar's schtick seemed to be bending over and twirling their really long hair in cicrcle or up and down every song a bunch of  times.

Lots of weird people there 🙂

IMG_2638.thumb.jpg.c7e17f76a85ae873b9bba146869d890b.jpgIMG_2633.thumb.jpg.2709251586e3903e88720eb1b946ac69.jpgIMG_2608.thumb.jpg.ca011c38006fd65bb8697e5ee6ceebde.jpgIMG_2615.thumb.jpg.c576639ec6109a93f1faab00cad3eadd.jpgIMG_2620.thumb.jpg.4f2bcad77609139ad99e007a2bd35078.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 5

I recently started listening to a couple of composers called Derek and Brandon Fiechter on YouTube who make world and fantasy music.  I started off with their steampunk stuff, have explored some of their other genres, and am now stuck on their Japanese themed music.  Mostly focused on medieval Japan, with some fantasy elements (lots of kitsune tracks).

• Like 1
The Next Station Is...

I've been thinking of adding my interests to this post, so here goes! I've always been very casual with my music, so I started out with anisongs before moving onto other genres/artists. For anisongs, I particularly like JAM Project and Megumi Kuribayashi.

Outside of anisongs I like ska punk (US/UK also) and have a few compilations of late 90s/early 00s Japanese ska punk songs. I like Kemuri and Yum!Yum!ORANGE in particular. I'm also open to other genres and of other groups, my favourite is DIE!!DIE!!COLOR!!! (sadly no longer active).

If anyone is into similar music and wants to recommend any artists/songs, I'd love to hear them! 

I try to catch Shonen Knife live whenever they come on tour around here every couple of years, great Ramones style band from Osaka.

They even have a train song:

• Like 2