Bill's Showa Era Interurban Layout

bill937ca

EDIT: What started out as a simple running layout with a bit of scenery will now evolve into a Showa Era layout starting sometime in May 2018.

I have started a layout project on my second hobby table.  The table is 60 x 30 inches (1524 x 762 mm).  I also have another layout table of the same size in my living room (where my UNitram layout is located) along with a full size sofa and long dining table. So there really isn't any space for expansion.

My objective was to have two ovals using existing track I have on hand as much as possible.  On the outer curve I wanted super-elevated curves, and a low viaduct on the inner oval. To build  a full P10 Tomix viaduct requires 1680mm according to a diagram in the Tomix Layout Support Book.  I don't have that kind of space.  In planning the layout I looked at plans like double folded track plans. I could fit the track in with serious compromises but the grades would be impossible. iI found a solution that could adapted in the old Tomix 91063 Bridge Approach set which let me see how much track there was at the elevated level and where the incline started.

So for the inner oval I settled on a Tomix P4 25mm viaduct (like a bridge approach viaduct) which would work with the newer S70 or S140 arch bridges or the 3229 Wide Track Embankment.  With my tighter HC243-45 curve sections this should change in elevation without steep grades.

The outer oval is R280 with Wide Track superelevated curves and the inner oval is HC243-45 single track viaduct sections.  The low viaduct rules out any spurs inward from the back of the layout, but that is fine with me.  I have three track ground level station with a six car one-sided tomix 4031 & 4032  platform at the front of the layout. This is similar track arrangement to some local stations with side platforms on either side of express tracks.

Anyrail is good software but it isn't infallible.  It shows a connection break at the station on outer oval. This isn't the case in real life. It also suppresses the clearance needed for the moulding on the single track viaduct.

Tomix bridge approach with double oval actual April 2.jpg

IMG_5960 1024 x768.jpg

My Kato 4964 sitting in the station this morning. with a backdrop of older Kato and Tomix commercial buildings.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I ran my first train of 20m stock today, Kato 10-370 Chuo Rapid Series 201.  The  541-15 points at the station are easy to transgress, but the R280 curves are tight with close coupling cars.

IMG_5966 1024 x768.jpg

IMG_5967 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

My P4 piers and risers arrived this week.  Today I placed them on the layout.

The viaduct is on the inner R243 track and runs along the back of the layout.  Trains on the viaduct are visible from the station platform.

i've gotten the Showa itch and this layout will be replaced by an Showa era layout in about a month.

After that running trains will be a matter of temporary layouts on the dining room table.

IMG_6028 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6027  1024 x768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started clearing off the table today. As some of track needed for the Showa Layout has not arrived, I am keeping a running layout for now.  There's a few buildings back in one corner awaiting being packed away as I do not see them on the Showa Layout or on the Unitram layout.

IMG_6040 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
bill937ca

Tear down of the old layout is now complete.  I have started laying down the new track, but I still need more track which was ordered before Golden Week.

The table is 60 x 30 inches (1524 x 762mm).  

Track plan is adapted from a Japanese layout posted in the Inspirational Layouts thread.

Because his space is more or less square and mine is a rectangle there are some adjustments such as moving the train shed from the top of the layout to one end.

Curves and turnouts will be R140.

Rolling stock will mostly be Modemo interurbans, some of which ran on streets and that ran on Meitetsu 600v lines as late as 2001 and 2005.

There will be a transfer station, a terminal station, an unmanned station and a intermediate station on a branch line.

There will be a train shed (single initially but maybe double track later) and the accompanying yard.

A JR interchange effect siding is postponed until I determine if I have enough turnouts left over.

Plans are to:

paint the rails

add ballast

add scenery

add structures (mainly Tomytec structures on hand)

Part numbers on the track diagram are old, but I have a lot of old track pieces.

Tomix Showa Layout Anyrail 4 revised train shed.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 5

I've been repainting a green/black Tomytec B2 station to match my red/cream D station house.  The walls are Parchment and the roof Fire Red on the platforms.

IMG_6091 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 5

Still waiting for key pieces of track. In the meantime I have been painting rails and I started working on the Transfer Station ekimae. Still lots of work to do, flaws to correct. 

IMG_6093 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

I have been painting rails by hand with Tamiya red brown paint. I use a paint applicator instead of a brush. It is just the right size to get in between the rail base and the rail head.  I leave the top rail shiny as this was the prototype.  

I get my Microbrush applicators at the LHS, but they are available from other sources like Modeltrainstuff.com.   For the Tomix rails I am using the green applicator.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/microbrush-mhr10-regular-applicator-green-10/

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/microbrush-mhf10-fine-applicator-yellow-10/

Track is almost complete except for a couple of change off items-- a extra turnout at the middle station and a Tomix 3247 Trough Girder Bridge.  Those items should arrive in a couple of weeks.

I tested the Modemo NT27 this morning. It runs good, but at the present power supply is a very temporary arrangement.

IMG_6108 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6109 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6105 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6111  1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 1

One more photo. This is NT27 a Meitetsu 520 in the transfer station. It also shows my manual efforts to paint the rails using Tamiya red-brown paint with a paint applicator.

IMG_6104 crop 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

I am working on the Transfer Station ekimae prior to doing ballasting.  Its a Tomytec 073-3 station with the station and the island platform plus pieces from Tomytec 020-2 Platform Expansion set.   The base is a uncut sheet of .030 styrene with a .040 styrene strip to keep my background commercial buildings in line. A second sheet of .030 styrene  provides a base for the station and its surroundings. The side platform sits in a cutout to keep the platform level even with the island platform. The unpainted portion should be hidden under Tomytec Entertainment District structures.

IMG_6116 1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 3

The space to the left of the ekimae was originally planned as a trackside housing row along a street separated from the tracks by a railway fence. However, I came across a Tomytec pagoda  in the bedroom on top of a cabinet filled with Japanese trains and train stuff.

The plan  is now to have an isolated pagoda without temple like Yasaka-no-to Pagoda in Kyoto. Once part of Hokan-ji Temple, the pagoda survives in a dense neighbourhood with the temple  having been destroyed by fires, earthquakes and wars over the years. 

https://www.insidekyoto.com/yasaka-no-to-pagoda

Video by The Travel Mentor

Video by egawauemon

IMG_6122 1024 x 768.jpg

The Flickr album for my Showa Layout.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/65881702@N00/albums/72157668801549428

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 8

I've made another change to the track plan moving the  middle station from the top to the left side of the layout (behind the pagoda). This makes it easier to work on the station than with it at the back of the a layout. Waiting for one final piece of track, a Tomix 1525 70-90mm expandable, and the trackage will be complete

IMG_6137  1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6135 1024 x768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 5

My Showa era interurban layout has gone into hiatus until mid-January or February from its usual spot on the end of the dining room table.  This photo shows its current state as a 35 x 22.5 inchbbulletin board layout prior to much recent work on the layout.  It is certainly different to have a full dining room table to myself.  i still have the hobby table train layout and my Unitram Euro layout to work on during the cold, dark winter nights.

IMG_6653 small 1024 x 768.jpg

Tomix Bulletin Board Showa Layout BUILT.jpg

IMG_6697 1024 x768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6