Converting a DE10 to DCC (HO)

GDorsett

Hey all.

Recently acquired a Kato DE10 (warm region) in HO scale after being told "east of the Mississippi" (pushing how far east they mean) and was wondering how DCC-able they are. It has seen a total tracktime of about four minutes on a track no longer than a metre, so it's a really new model. I have no idea what the powertrain is in this, either. Is it the small motours in the trucks and the hood just covers a circuit board and weight like the full-bodied engines (i.e. EF510)? Or does it have a more traditional can, flywheel, driveshaft, and gears? And how does one get inside of this engine?

I saw a post on here from a while ago where they were doing a DCC conversion, but the pictures did not work and I don't know if the model design has changed between then and now.

Thanks for the help!

And, that said, I have an EF510 in the mail. I do know that it probably has Kato's truck-mounted motours, but is it difficult to convert?

So it does have an 8-pin in it? Very cool!

Then I shal pick up my go-to when I'm at a hobby shop later this week.

(Or salvage one from a pesky RDC.)

Now to get the hood off. Can't figure it out.

Edited by GDorsett
Fixed grammatical error

The body has 4 clips, one each side at front and by the cab, the cab itself is attached to the main body, not the chassis. A gentle squeeze and pull at each end should release the body. Might be easier to start at the long bonnet end. 

Edited by dmustu
  • Densha changed the title to Converting a DE10 to DCC (HO)

Managed to get into it.

And, as stated, fairly traditional set-up and a strange, magical 8-pin plug!

Thanks, everyone! Will provide pictures of it on a layout soon.

0410182215a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1