1/45th Scale DD51, Anyone? (Item Link)

Philphil

That's aoshima's model, they have it available in JNR colors as well.  You can buy it new from most hobby shops.  I've been tempted to get one but the shipping cost has held me back so far.

It was 40 or 50% off in one of the hs sales last year. It sorely tested my will power! One of the forum members got one and was working on it.

jeff

11 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

It was 40 or 50% off in one of the hs sales last year. It sorely tested my will power! One of the forum members got one and was working on it.

jeff

Darn, wish I had caught that deal!  Hope it goes on sale again.

Darn, I've had my eye on this one for a while now and I misread that is $50 with ems shipping.  Guess It'll stay on wishlist for a while yet.

It is a static model, isn't it?  1200 parts.  Where would you find a drive?  O gauge is not that common in Japan.

Edited by bill937ca
28 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Where would you find a drive? O gauge is not that common in Japan.

In Europe, Germany. You can get a fairly decent ready to roll axle hung drive (wheels included) for a few hundred euros and you only need four. At least they would be easy to install.

A bigger problem however would be where to find japanese prototype 0 gauge rolling stock to run with it?

For me it looks like sourcing 0j scale japanese models requires deep knowledge of the japanese language and much deeper pockets to pay for them. Great layout btw!

HLJ, HS, and amiami all have had the model for sale at varying times over the last year or two. Always tempts me some then I remember the pile of models to put together... would be a lovely display model, quite detailed. I should have popped when it was 40 or 50% off the one time, I had sweat going down my finger over the buy button. I relented then shortly later saw stock was gone...

jeff

As katoftw mentioned in an earlier post, there is a upgrade kit with metal chain, lighting LEDs etc..

First time to come across this pack

504B2B94-49EE-4B55-995F-B6CBA2392E49.jpeg

Edited by Kamome

Those sound ridiculously cheap..... £114 for a loco of that size, will power is being severely tested right now....

Never mind just seen it's a plastic kit 🙂

Edited by TimWay4

it's a plastic kit that you must assemble every single little piece as well as paint it. Gonna be time consuming.

And it costs a lot to add power and working couplers and you have to plan ahead and assemble everything to allow movement through typical 1:45 scale curves, even with rolling stock coupled.

I'd like to get the EF66, but I wouldn't be doing any more than metal wheels. My O-scale is limited to a tree-layout for the holidays and a vintage Lionel set, and I doubt that JR engine will look good pulling the Polar Express...