I decided to take a break from working on my layout and trains and pulled out a model I bought over 6 years ago. I first saw this ship in Star Trek 8: First Contact and of course I had to have it.  I searched everywhere but no commercial model was available for this class, as well as many other Star Trek Ship Classes. Years later I stumbled across the Federation Model website, which listed many backyard resin kits of most of non commercial ships, and to my surprise they had many ships in the scale I wanted to collect my fleet in 1/1400 (or Scale with the AMT/ERTL/PLATZ Enterprise D model).  I ordered the Akira Class and Defiant Class ships in 1/1400 and put them on the shelf.  

http://www.federationmodels.com/

Flash forward, after getting the wife hooked on Star Trek, we watch about 5 hours of Star Trek a week, we are done TOS, and TNG and are now on season 3 of DS9. I decided to pull the Akira Class ship out and start to assemble it. I was surprised how well detailed the kit was and honestly this is some of the best work in resin I have seen, no warped parts, only one small air bubble on the entire ship.  After scrubbing the model with Comet to remove the mold release I sanded down the flash (what little of it there was) and glued the 7 pieces together.   Wow what a beautiful ship, once I find my model putty I will fill the seems between the joints and eventually start painting it.  I think I might have start picking up more ship classes listed on the website to round out my fleet. ;)

For the record the class of ship was named Akira after the 1980s anime movie of the same name. :)

IMG_4977.thumb.JPG.faa7a7fc979c474c4229e51e8144ea9a.JPG

Edited by keiichi77
typo
  • Like 3

Nice! Good to see some Trekkie action! I have a few models on the shelf I need to get to when there is more time.

Jeff

LLAP

Westfalen & Gulf's Enterprise. Used to annoy the Star Trek guys at hobby shows with it.

vs180405-001.thumb.jpg.693dbeaccaabfcd0380fbdfe7a4988f7.jpg

BTW the bar scenes in the holodeck in Star Trek: First Contact were filmed in Los Angeles union station.

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1