Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chadbag

Kim Jong Un train in Beijing

Recommended Posts

chadbag

So the one in the NYT article and the other article posted by Bill show a bog standard Chinese train.   Maybe Fat Boy's train picks up a new locomotive when it crosses the border or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66
25 minutes ago, chadbag said:

So the one in the NYT article and the other article posted by Bill show a bog standard Chinese train.   Maybe Fat Boy's train picks up a new locomotive when it crosses the border or something.

 

While the DF11 is pretty common in china, it is a non-articulated locomotive.  I think the z model (the articulated version) might be solely for north Korea.

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag
5 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

 

While the DF11 is pretty common in china, it is a non-articulated locomotive.  I think the z model (the articulated version) might be solely for north Korea.

 

All those China Railways DF11z images from wikimedia you posted are all in NK?  Signs look Chinese to me.  :) :)

 

The DF11z appears to be a Chinese made and Chinese run locomotive.  Doesn't say anything about NK in this article:  https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fzh.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F东风11Z型柴油机车&edit-text=

 

:)

 

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66

Huh, seems the news lied to me!  I was going off an article that stated that DF11z002 was this new rulers locomotive, while his father was DF11z001.   I guess they just didn't know very much so they were working off what they had.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-china-train/secrecy-delays-surrounded-north-korea-leaders-slow-train-to-china-idUSKBN1H522C 

Share this post


Link to post
railsquid
48 minutes ago, chadbag said:

So the one in the NYT article and the other article posted by Bill show a bog standard Chinese train.   Maybe Fat Boy's train picks up a new locomotive when it crosses the border or something.

 

That would make sense, as I assume you'd need a driver who knows the route and a locomotive compatible with the signalling system.

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag
10 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Huh, seems the news lied to me!  I was going off an article that stated that DF11z002 was this new rulers locomotive, while his father was DF11z001.   I guess they just didn't know very much so they were working off what they had.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-china-train/secrecy-delays-surrounded-north-korea-leaders-slow-train-to-china-idUSKBN1H522C 

 

Fake News!!! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
kvp

The previous north korean rulers in the past have even travelled to europe in that train. The bogies of the cars could be switched to wide gauge ones for travel on the soviet leg of the journey and back to standard gauge on the european border. The local railways provided the locomotives. This procedure is still standard for direct cars between Russia and various EU states.

Share this post


Link to post
Socimi

 

According to wikipedia

 

The DF11Z is a derivative of the prototype DF11G, wich are two DF11 without one cab and attached togheter.

 

The DF11Z was introduced in 2002, and there are 12 veichles (for a total of 6 locomotives) in service.

 

They are used for offical trains both in North Korea and China (althoug rarely, as most Chinese party members prefer to use the CRH High-Speed trains), so it's possible one (or two) were gifted to North Korea.

 

They're nicknamed "Great Z"  by Chinese railfans.

 

 

An original DF11, the prototype DF11G kept the same colors.

 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/China_railways_DF11_locomotive_at_Hangzhou_station_in_2009.jpg/1280px-China_railways_DF11_locomotive_at_Hangzhou_station_in_2009.jpg

 

 

The standard series DF11G were introduced in 2003, but while they are mechanically similar to the DF11, they have more modern-looking cabs.

 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/DF11G.jpg/1200px-DF11G.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×