Yoyogi-Hachiman Station

railsquid

Yoyogi-Hachiman Station on the Odakyu Line is the first station west of Yoyogi-Uehara on the line to Odakyu's Shinjuku terminus and one of those quintessentially Japanese urban stations, i.e. built in a somewhat impractical manner - in this case on a curve, with a wide spacing between tracks as they're opening out so the Chiyoda line can come up between them to reach Yoyogi-Uehara; there's a level crossing at one end, which has an unusually wide spacing between tracks due to said curve, and which is preventing the platforms from being extended to accommodate 10-car trains, as well as being potentially dangerous/disruptive to trains with pedestrians and vehicles getting stuck on in the middle (Google Street view from 2013: https://goo.gl/maps/uHL2zSPKq5z ).

Obviously it had to go; it's closed off and the station is being rebuilt with a central platform and overhead entrance/exit, which will improve access from Yamate-dori; the crossing itself has been moved under the Yamate-dori bridge (Google Street view: https://goo.gl/maps/dNsH7Dr5Mny ).

Central platform is taking shape in the direction of the crossing, with supports for the new station in place:

41087293942_a64335a1f8_z.jpg

yoyogi-hachiman-station-2018-03-31c by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Looking towards Shinjuku:

41087293152_f59e93079a_z.jpg

yoyogi-hachiman-station-2018-03-31h by Rail Squid, on Flickr

View from the crossing immediately to the east of the station:

41087294392_6bed998834_z.jpg

yoyogi-hachiman-station-2018-03-31a by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I checked the station in the Showa period and the platforms were pulled apart during the subway link construction. This was done while leaving the station overpass intact, so i assume it was done by making the side platforms thinner.