Tram Mini Layout

acousticco

Greetings Folks,

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my tiny tram layout.  It's only 12x19 inches and has a minimum radius of about 4 inches.  I use it to run my Tomix railbuses around in circles ;D

The tram shelter is scratchbuilt from stripwood (I included a construction picture).  The sign is cut from a Japanese postage stamp.

-Cody

post-9-13569921771938_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921772432_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921772903_thumb.jpg

post-9-13569921773507_thumb.jpg

Guest Bernard

Incredible detail in your work, I don't know how you do it. I have trouble putting in the small extra parts that come with most of the Kato passenger sets. I have to ask you, I'm putting in a street on my layout, what material did you use on your road in the layout. I've experimented with "flex-foam" and hydocal painted on and light weight spackle w/weather stripping as my guide lines. What did you use?

Darren Jeffries

I have to ask you, I'm putting in a street on my layout, what material did you use on your road in the layout. I've experimented with "flex-foam" and hydocal painted on and light weight spackle w/weather stripping as my guide lines. What did you use?

I agree, great layout, attention to detail is amazing. I also used the flexifoam road but found it too hard to lay without kinking or misshaping.

I thought of using plaster of paris mixed with asphalt color poster paint, and fine painting the lines in yellow/white after it was dry.

Thanks Folks!

The road is just drywall mud that's been stained with diluted India ink.  It scribes really easily if you want to add expansion joints or cobblestones and takes color well.

Thanks again,

Cody

post-9-13569921774176_thumb.jpg

Darren Jeffries

Thanks Folks!

The road is just drywall mud that's been stained with diluted India ink.  It scribes really easily if you want to add expansion joints or cobblestones and takes color well.

Thanks again,

Cody

Excellent idea!!! thanks Cody

I should have mentioned that once you put a wash of color onto dry drywall mud, don't touch it again until it's completely dry because it softens up really quickly...  ...and it's really easy to make a mess of it.  >:(

-Cody

Hi Bernard,

Unfortunately I had to abandon this layout during a recent move.  I managed to save the tram shelter but am not sure what I'm going to do with it...  At the moment I have almost no space, and another move is coming up so I've been fairly inactive with the trains lately.

-Cody

I'm so sorry that you had to abandon the layout, it really was a nice one and I know how much work and detail you put into the shelter. Save the shelter, you can always use it on a future layout.

Good luck with the moves, and even though you have been inactive with the trains lately, please keep posting, I have learned a lot from your posts.