Horse Trolly on rails Naha, Okinawa 1935

Might be of interest to some.

A tram pulled by a horse runs on a 9-kilometer section of track between Naha and Itoman. (The Asahi Shimbun)

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/photo/AS20180317002754.html

From The Asahi Shimbun:

All Black and white photos from The Asahi Shimbun archives of daily scenes in Okinawa Prefecture in 1935 are now being colorized in a joint project with The Okinawa Times and a research team at the Tokyo Metropolitan University.

I don't know if Okinawa Soba (Rob) is a member here but when googling horse trolley ion Okinawa, I stumbled onto this.

www.flickr.com/photos/okinawa-soba/sets/72157644364658344

I tried posting a link but it ends up embedding a photo. darn   

THE OKINAWA RAILROAD -- OKINAWA RAILROAD MAP  -  Lines and Stations in 1925 (Taisho Year 14)

I tried to post a link to his photostream site on Flickr.  Google The Okinawa Railroad and is posted by Okinawa Soba (Rob)

Some interesting photos. 

If I've posted this before, my apologies,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing!  Today there are one or two diesel loco's from the plantation railways rusting away in a small park, and an imported D51 (also rusting away but in a bigger park), but no trace of this line.  Its interesting to see how different life looked back then!  Seems the sun and rain was just as brutal then as now judging by the parasols and umbrellas.