Hachioji Station HD300 and tank cars plus others

ia909, if you want to shoot a switcher in action, you can visit Oimiya Station or Hachioji Station. There is an HD300 stationed here and it is used more frequently than at Omiya. Here are some pics to give an idea of what you might find.

C4DLr3i.jpg

The nearer tanker consist is parked waiting to be moved to the fuel facility next to the station. The far consist is waiting to depart on the Yokohama Line.

g9UWA3G.jpg

DpDKMhQ.jpg

This is from the Yokohama Line platform.

ctz5Ntj.jpg

qwKppMG.jpg

Besides the usual EF65s and EF210, you will often see EH200 on the Chuo Line passing Hachioji Station.

5sxOROi.jpg

On the opposite side of the Yokohama Line platform there are sidings. Today there happened to be hoppers and flats with ties. Usually I've only noticed tank cars. 

2DV9K7O.jpg

ZAocdJm.jpg

h2yvGv8.jpg

rq2rhSP.jpg

There is a window that you shoot the sidings below. Please be careful.

TRUUkdi.jpg

zsXRk8U.jpg

KWaipia.jpg

PXg6gAj.jpg

More to come,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 8

This is the HD300 that moves the tank cars over and back to the fuel facility. It is parked next to the Hachiko Line platform.  Most of the photos are taken on 25 Aug 2017 but the HD300 parked was taken on 8 Jan 2016.

LYoK8K7.jpg

zwCQIEs.jpg

Jmu0Sjq.jpg

r10a8Dk.jpg

6xPpHoI.jpg

3PaMVQV.jpg

Moving back to its parking spot.

LqHJndg.jpg

exqYIz0.jpg

ggLX4ns.jpg

The freight trains passing through will use the regular tracks for the Chuo Line.

gqsYD5H.jpg

One way that you might know that something interesting will stop or pass by are these two signs. This was for the EH200 that stopped here.

8IfSsVo.jpg

The above is hard to see but this one taken at Mizonoikuchi Station (Nambu Line) is clearer. Note. This station is different as the JR logo signifies that this platform will not have trains for the rest of the evening. I waited for two hours in vain a many months ago. The JR logo indicates a non-scheduled train will be stopping at the platform. Sometimes it signifies a charter and other times a freight train or more rarely an inspection train or test run.  

qTNt1B6.jpg

Usually freight trains will not stop so they will use the 'tsukan shimasu, or passing through' announcement.

This was taken at Akebono Station.

SwvsMZ3.jpg

yD3BGmn.jpg

9MCUyWK.jpg

BzziU3M.jpg

6nRQU4g.jpg

Some of the trains that you can shoot at Hachioji Station.

E257 Azusa for Matsumoto Station,

l8ha9UH.jpg

205 Hachiko Line.

6dikmqI.jpg

HMlP6ip.jpg

If you are shooting on the weekend, there is a 183 and a 215 that departs from Shinjuku at 8:00 and 9:00. The 183 will probably be retired in the near future, i believe. 

Grant

• Like 7

Hey Grant, have you already explored the Takashima line? Sometimes you are at Sakuragicho waiting for the Keihin-Tohoku line and a freight train just comes out from nowhere. The Takashima line is a remnant of the Yokohama port system still running below the Minatomorai 21 skyscrapers. 

KeikyuWayne

Khaul,

Used to live in pacific Royal Court apartments in Minatomirai, and remember seeing these freight trains.  Never knew the history.  THANKS!!

Khaul, 

The Takashima Line is out of my normal travels, otherwise I'd shoot over there. Right now, if I can't easily cycle there in less than two hours, it would be a special trip. Basically retired. I did go to a Chidoribashi Crossing near Higashi Kanagawa Station with bikkuri bahn, but that's the only time.  I have the Seishun 18 ticket and will go one more time to Takasaki to see if I can see a 113 and also to Annaka to shoot the Tobu Zinc switchers and cars. Monday this week was a bust as nothing was moving. But I did see a EH500 Kintaro loco pulling the zinc hoppers and tank cars going the opposite way towards Takasaki on the way back. They do the switch in the late afternoon. 

Will post more tonight if I can.

Thanks again, Grant

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gmat said:

The nearer tanker consist is parked waiting to be moved to the fuel facility next to the station. The far consist is waiting to depart on the Yokohama Line.

g9UWA3G.jpg

AFAIK, there is no regular freight over the Yokohama line. The only irregular non-passenger trains on the Yokohama line are dead hauls to the Tokyu Nagatsuta depot (DE10 hauled), which only consist of Tōkyū, ex-Tōkyū, Izukyu, etc. trains.

Tankers go over to Tachikawa and then to Yokosuka over the Nambu line, following through over rhe Tōkaido for a bit and then passing underneath Minatomirai and follow through on the Negeshi/Keihin-Tōhoku line (EH200 and/or EF210) if I'm correct.

Kabutoni, 

I'm sure that you're right. I was kind of surprised to see the freight train follow the same direction as the Yokohama Line trains and not the Chuo Line  trains. Perhaps they turned back onto the Chuo Line out of sight. This was maybe two years ago and I don't usually stop here.

Grant

On 22/03/2018 at 7:28 AM, gmat said:

On the opposite side of the Yokohama Line platform there are sidings. Today there happened to be hoppers and flats with ties. Usually I've only noticed tank cars.

zsXRk8U.jpg

The hoppers ("hoki") seem to be there fairly regularly, I get the impression the sidings on that side are used for maintenance trains.

Grant

As ever, many thanks for the suggestions.

More great shots and advice. At this rate I shall need a lifetime rather than the six days I have allocated.

Regards,

Ian