Shin-Kawasaki Station & Kashimada Pedestrian Overpass Shin Tsurumi Locomotive Depot West Fence

I started this as a guide for ia909.

1hpFjAG.jpg

Generally the most popular spot is at the north end of the platform.

rdWDpMN.jpg

The track heading South runs parallel to the station. Freight consists often change locomotives here. They will park slightly northof the station.

dU9LgrA.jpg

cQoOSAl.jpg

84DHOXx.jpg

This signal will turn green to clue fans that the consist will pass by.

wbQxbkx.jpg

Unfortunately trains heading North are on the opposite side of the Shin-Tsurumi Locomotive Depot.

Su406Fd.jpg

And sometimes, often when the train you really want passes by....

mYnk4bn.jpg

FJtMbcA.jpg

The fence on this side of the depot is partly blocked by trees or pillars. I've noticed some photographers position themselves just ahead, before the steps and ahead of the overpass above.

yVDPw75.jpg

2YQOXqE.jpg

Bl8oDn3.jpg

The south end of the platform is less used for taking photos.

dfQrST0.jpg

4vNplow.jpg

tfSouPc.jpg

sVEQFpA.jpg

The locos parked on this side will be heading south. Those parked on the opposite side will be heading north. The ones parked next to the buildings are waiting for maintenance or not scheduled to be used that day. 

COyGytI.jpg

L2N6qfD.jpg

dJpVfW5.jpg

More coming up next.

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 4

This is one shot from the south end of the platform.

4ayjvEk.jpg

The other popular spot is on the Kashimada Pedestrian Overpass. 

WavDI27.jpg

bECkUpk.jpg

You have to shoot through a glass window.

DVFgUaq.jpg

The parking area for locos heading south is below. There is a shed to park locos next to the parking area. The parking area for locos heading north starts from under the overpass so anything that you can see onn the far side in this photo will not be running today, save for maintenance tests or repositioning. 

jbq0qxc.jpg

This end of the overpass with the steps leading down is another good place to shoot pictures.

BplOCnH.jpg

AEFgFs9.jpg

tN8zDDR.jpg

The mid landing arera for the steps.

n4hPN6u.jpg

View of the parking area for locos that will go north. 

eXa03zY.jpg

These signals will clue you that something will be coming soon. There also smaller yellow lights on the side that will start blinking a few minutes before the loco passes by.

asulEfQ.jpg

You have to go almost before the stairs to easily see the color of the lights.

mQKQiF8.jpg

Locos will come here to park for a minute or so and then park up ahead. 

gItJPME.jpg

ZYizBDk.jpg

More to come,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 3

If you want a ground level view, you can stand on the railing and shoot over the fence. 

u0E9nIt.jpg

This is before the signal lights and overpass. There are small yellow flashing signals on the right side. (Not visible in this picture)

gNT3mPC.jpg

This is next to the parking area but you can't see any flashing signals here.

FMgLuZo.jpg

8VeAJIB.jpg

Coming in to stop and reverse and park up ahead.

skQMfnt.jpg

mHmejmQ.jpg

If you walk south along the perimeter fence to the rear of the buildings, there is another parking area. The line curves here so it is popular for photographers. Locos coming down from the north and switching will run and stop here before going backup  to park. They will be running south later. Sometimes single locos will come here and depart south. Usually, they will run to the north then double back to the holding area before connecting to a consist or run south without a consist.

8UoOf3h.jpg

Kk8h7Z8.jpg

You can't see it in this photo, but there is a new pole installed on the left side which narrows the area that you can take a nice shot of the track from.

teTc5PM.jpg

juiXxuL.jpg

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While looking for pics for this thread, i found some others that I've taken the past two years.

People are usually considerate of those shooting behind them. Not meant as a criticism here.

GIEPEpF.jpg

htshtW1.jpg

25 Feb 17

rbjWafP.jpg

5 Mar 16. 14:39  Note the time. This is the short consist that sometimes has interesting cars.

XBsds1b.jpg

n8QcIHr.jpg

OvRvHy6.jpg

eTTE0Wg.jpg

1ihgjJA.jpg

Iz6ie2t.jpg

28 Jan 17  Also at 14:39.

pvXB4nH.jpg

BgLAjSt.jpg

2jKSYqV.jpg

vYiV2YZ.jpg

JGQWhup.jpg

More to come.

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 4

Looks like a nice station for photos.  I google mapped it and look like the surrounding areas up and down the lines has plenty of photo opportunities also.

26 May 17 14:39  EF66-30 with EF64-1033 deadheading.

yj3SsiP.jpg

x47Fu7n.jpg

t7ve7aF.jpg

arQxIw5.jpg

YvxiJmO.jpg

GiZr7yu.jpg

2t7hfl0.jpg

OM9Grvy.jpg

TXH2dHa.jpg

fUYCGFa.jpg

ft8hwnf.jpg

1 Oct 16  14:38

dvE2wl0.jpg

C9aXr9K.jpg

5RL8Yzr.jpg

obZEi86.jpg

a8heH01.jpg

0xLG41b.jpg

x368NyL.jpg

nO0aeig.jpg

udrinyM.jpg

Cv48550.jpg

In 2016 a DE10 would often  head south at about 16:30.  I haven't seen one at this time for a while but then I've stopped sitting at the platform all day and have come here by bicycle.

11FwX9N.jpg

More to come,

Grant

• Like 4

E66-27 shot 1 Apr 2017

2lF7fZO.jpg

fF7lU7m.jpg

pciBpC2.jpg

sOulmAk.jpg

BOAGAV2.jpg

t39RzHV.jpg

mAsaolO.jpg

a6jjNlf.jpg

GTFOWXO.jpg

Also 1 Apr 2017

Ij9CpTe.jpg

jDtrf1V.jpg

This one was bad luck for me. 10 Apr 2017

aGZhc2p.jpg

The headmark was only at one end.

Rj6VPQp.jpg

avkRaPi.jpg

LDTwrIC.jpg

More to come,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 4

Pigeons are pretty blase on the platforms. 10 apr 2017

A8djsx3.jpg

97JIFFX.jpg

Jc1lKrM.jpg

uErSPwE.jpg

I've seem some scurry among a moving crowd and not take to wing. 

10 apr 2017   East iE  This came on the track that often have priority. Some consists don't stop when passing through. 

4YvL3bg.jpg

8nuw1so.jpg

ZL8LGpP.jpg

6YZLXZW.jpg

6RksZ2o.jpg

QBKmYyC.jpg

hP6cpSr.jpg

tc1NvUZ.jpg

FAAJjUE.jpg

8TyKYKO.jpg

998y2pq.jpg

7nyoAEH.jpg

4UDhLem.jpg

Next is another spot about 15 minutes south on foot.

Grant

• Like 4

This is the stairs leading to the Fujitsu building. It's across the Ogura Overpass (小倉陸橋).

FlT0oc0.jpg

You stand at the lower middle section and take your pictures. 

RkUNUlN.jpg

Looking towards Shin-Kawasaki Station. You can see several photographers with long extended tripods and short ladders.

ohC80FP.jpg

3 Apr 2017 14:42

xZQD3dw.jpg

1DprxHE.jpg

MfKSQ9c.jpg

9VZHf3q.jpg

mxguKpD.jpg

3 Apr 2017  EF210-151 hauling rails.

dVOjVL9.jpg

oQ1ZxXQ.jpg

bEbjQQ6.jpg

Sometimes locos will stop here waiting for a clear signal to proceed. Sometimes they will turn into the Shitte Crossover ahead, but sometime they will proceed straight ahead to Tsurumi and beyond.  1 Apr 2017 15:44 EF210-152 waiting for another consist (EF210-152) to pass

yqfImXG.jpg

278oAcF.jpg

29 Apr 2017 EF210-162 departing from the south end of the Shin-Tsurumi Locomotive Depot 15:43 Usually they will head north from the other side of the depot, double back, wait for a clear signal and then proceed south, even if they are without a consist. 

cCcs3us.jpg

DaUmMQE.jpg

3 Apr 2017 E230-6030 S-02 8889M Out of Service 14:25

KugqNHf.jpg

OZ6s0uT.jpg

More to come,

Grant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Out of service 215, 185 and 251 trains will use the Musashino South Line (freight) in the morning either to Omiya or switch to the Hinkaku Line before Musashi-Kosugi station and head to Shinjuku or Ikebukuro. Some of the Ohayo Liners will use this line too. 

215 OOS

VVgmpLm.jpg

Across the tracks is another spot that you can take pictures. But in the morning from 8 to 9 there is a tidal wave of black suited workers heading to the Fujitsu building and beyond. Best to keep out of their way.

59AhAU0.jpg

Y6Mo42m.jpg

uHOKazZ.jpg

KZdFY8l.jpg

Hinkaku Line.

fIrQEms.jpg

8LvqfP1.jpg

The Musashino South Line (freight) is on the other side.

WsLaGKp.jpg

p1DdU7g.jpg

All taken 3 Apr 2017. EF210-144.

iG6jCy0.jpg

The next is for Railsquid. A sort of nearby park (10 to 15 mins on foot) for his son to play at while both of you are looking at trains. 

Grant

• Like 3

Shinkawasakifureai Park 新川崎ふれあい公園 Mothers will also bring their children to play or watch trains. 

pz2lLUx.jpg

There is a toilet facility next door. Very important for small kids. Alas no nearby store for drinks or snacks. None on the way here either so you have to buy stuff at the station or earlier.

5Vsts4z.jpg

Shot this on the 18th of march 2018. It was parked at the depot, perhaps waiting for inspection or maintenance the next day.  Had to shoot before I could climb on something to shoot over the fence.

HpJi3mA.jpg

There are benches that you can stand on to shoot over the fence to get a shot like this.

0zcpVH9.jpg

QkGJ2nT.jpg

EqZvO3h.jpg

If you walk up towards the overpass, you can get some slightly better shots.

V3ntGvh.jpg

7hh7QKs.jpg

That's all for now. 

Grant

• Like 3

Fabulous information and excellent photos. If I get half the number of photos with half the quality I shall be well pleased.

Thanks again for the information.

Regards

ia909

• Like 1

Not much new, this is for Railsquid if he might think about taking squidlet someplace where he might have other things to do waiting for trains to come by.

This is from the other side of the park, towards the bridge, away from Shin-Kawasaki Station.

zY6U1YY.jpg

fYOanLs.jpg

Important for parents with kids. The male side is clean. 

9NO77a4.jpg

A better picture of the train jungle gym.

GUitIP5.jpg

You can stand on the benches if you have no ladder or are willing to stand on your bike. Note parents with kids in the background.

SbSzsGG.jpg

8r5zQjr.jpg

KrOSxSw.jpg

UJqS23w.jpg

P0ge0Zo.jpg

He waved twice as the nearer boy was waving for a long time. Well done, thank you.

xMaAx5i.jpg

3QAPbmC.jpg

j5jJFMI.jpg

The mother holding her son on his shoulders in the previous photo ran behind me to the other end, still with her son on her shoulders. I admire her devotion.        I'm sure that she is being careful.           But one stumble...

Wxkfk5d.jpg

More to come, 

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 1

Coming back at 17:57, it was starting to get darker. The parents and kids hung around even when it got pretty dark.

fLf2Eyn.jpg

YvZpKgX.jpg

7viWzcg.jpg

Do some of the mothers and perhaps fathers come for their children or because they loved trains?

pvmXItC.jpg

ZW3RtM3.jpg

ko3FHx6.jpg

l0yWLWp.jpg

uTtNsfl.jpg

5IIS1SE.jpg

1T4MnMP.jpg

There was still one father and his kid hanging around when this was taken. 

ORAf7DO.jpg

That's all for now,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 3