Crime in Japan

toc36

TCC Railroad

I'm afraid this is going to become more common in many countries. Society is breaking down. We used to take care of our elderly citizens, but they are beginning to fall through the cracks more and more often. At almost 70, I begin to wonder what my declining years will be like. I can understand the plight of these women and their desire to have a place where they are taken care of. 

I think this is both a social and financial problem. Elderly people are left alone regardless of their wealth and the existence of a family. This is sad.

One thing i saw many years ago in hungary was the formation of retiree clubs. Essentially self organized daycares for local old people who wouln't want to or couldn't afford to move into a retirement home. Places are often provided by the local councils, often in unused school premises or local community centers and meals are arranged together with the food for local schools. This is cheaper than cooking at home due to being prepared in bulk. Not much staff is needed, but these places could still function as communities just by bringing together local people. Operational costs are usually minimal and mostly mean the cost of heating and electricity.

I'm sure many smaller japanese communities have similar projects and based on the article it looks like mainly people in larger cities who are forgotten about.

• Like 1