3D Printed VW Beetle Engine

I've been slightly obsessed with building my radio controlled VW Beetle for the upcoming crawling season here in Calgary, much to the detriment of any toy trains. I bought the STL files for a Beetle engine and printed it at Shapeways. Believe it or not it was printed as one piece. A bit of paint, wires and a small rubber band for the fan belt and Robert's your father's brother.

IMG_7920.thumb.jpeg.8c4a0b9493068f572cf7f000d0f485e5.jpeg

And then, since I'm going crazy with this thing I added a sound module. 

Now on to finishing the body. I've got lots to go here before paint goes on.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 10

Todd,

Now that is AWESOME! Nicely detailed and painted engine too! Looks much nicer than any of my real cars ever looked under the hood....

Ewan

Thanks Ewan. Now I'm hacking the bottom of it apart to be able to mount it onto the chassis. I'll post pics later.

Todd

Martijn Meerts

Another one of those things I've always been interested in, but I really shouldn't buy one, since there's not really any clubs nearby, plus I'd likely want a kit rather than a ready to run thing. and kits are becoming less common. And I don't have time for it ...

Of course, I do have a Tamiya 1/16 scale remote control Tiger II tank with sound module and all that :)

Martijn there are still kits to be had. It's a lot of fun and scale crawlers don't need a ton of space. I frequent the RCCrawler.com forum as well. There seems to be a fair Dutch contingent on there. I don't have time for it either but it still somehow happens. It's lot's of fun. Tanks are fun too!

Cheers eh,

Todd

On 2018-03-18 at 7:27 PM, brill27mcb said:

Look into adding an oil drip module...

Rich K. (used to own VW buses)

Is this a real thing or just that black stain on the garage floor maker?

21 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Groan yes, ‘64 bug for many years!

jeff

Sounds like you had that same module... :sad1:

My bug was given to me by my best friend in grad school when she finished (well for $20 to dodge taxes). Over the years I think replaced everything on that bug except the chassis/body, stick and steering wheel. Fenders, hoods, floor panels, seat covers, bumpers, interior, brakes, steering box, transmission, engine, lots of the wiring, all for practically nothing from Brazilian parts. Made a teak dashboard and woven leather streering wheel, deep blue paint with deep sparkle flakes and clear coats to float them.  The thing was a beauty in the sun!  License plate of course cteno4 for what it looked like.

I saw It last year in the classic import shop in Monterey, for sale! It was still in great shape, teak dashboard gave it away. Miss the zing sound of that engine. Had to draft semis to get it over 60mph usually! Probabistic steering was also fun, you aimed at a place and there was a nice probability distribution cloud of where it would actually go.even when tuned to the max it would spew hydrocarbons off the chart sadly.

jeff

• Haha 1

Todd, thats too sick brother!

You made a cage for that yet? Ever thought of adding a small dc motor to make the pulley turn as well? Maybe sync it with your 540?

Mardon 

On 6/8/2018 at 10:07 PM, macdon said:

Todd, thats too sick brother!

You made a cage for that yet? Ever thought of adding a small dc motor to make the pulley turn as well? Maybe sync it with your 540?

Mardon 

Thanks Mardon. No cage yet. Still slowly adding details to the engine. Added a fuel line and generator wires last week. Pics below show the engine and the front view. Tons to do on it yet. Thought of the dc motor idea. Worried about heat and melting the 3d printed engine.

Cheers eh,

Todd

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 3

I'm building a Sand Scorcher crawler as well. 3D printed another engine. This one on my home 3D printer. It's a bit smaller than the last one. It'll go in this black Bug. 

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9057.jpg

• Like 5

So, I click on this thread and get the following message on AVG:

"We've safely aborted connection on tossedman.com because it was infected with HTML:Script-inf [Susp]."

For clarity, that's when I click on the thread under "Other Hobbies" ... not clicking on any link in the thread.

Edited by Ochanomizu

Try again and see if it happens again. I found that the first post had an embed link to a jpeg on Todd’s server that was not resolving so I removed it.

jeff

Unfortunately my server is no more. Any pictures linked to there will not appear. I've replaced some but need to upload more to here on JNS. I've just uploaded what I think ws the original image in the first post to the JNS server. Sorry!

Edited by tossedman

Not sure what’s going on here anymore, but I expect as just an oddity of Ochanomizu‘s spyware scan software. I’ve looked at the source code of all of Todd’s posts and no links to his old server left and nothing odd in them. If you are concerned then just don’t come back to the post, but I cannot find any malicious code in the posts.

jeff

Hello,

Here's a screen grab of what appears every time I open this thread.  I'm using the AVG software "out of the box".

image.thumb.png.cfed15a2ca144c4028fa1446595f423d.png

image.png

Edited by Ochanomizu