500 Shinkansen in Hello Kitty livery to be introduced

1 minute ago, chadbag said:

KATO tend to be easier for DCC upgrades -- especially if they have the slots.

Yes, that's the reason for me too. Though, if Kato come out with the Kitty, they'll probably do what they did with the EVA. They just re-used the molds from the original Kato 500. The motor conversion isn't too hard but you can see the decoder through the windows. The cab decoder installations are some of the hardest I've ever done. I can't imagine the Tomix being harder. If ever there's a time to make a jump to a Tomix Shinky, this is it.

We'll have to see.  I have the EVA and a normal KATO 500 but have done nothing with them DCC wise.

I have done the motor car on a Tomix N700 (the JR West / Kyushu Sakura one) but not the can cars.   Same on a KATO 800 Series (which does not have the DCC slot).  One of these days I'll tackle the cab cars...   Kind of been dreading it.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:27 PM, Waisneed said:

Not a fan of Hello Kitty.  But of the JR500 series.

This is why I need this. To complement my Type EVA.  BUt am I allowed to run them simultanously?

That's sort of why I want it too. I'd be running them together for sure.

3 minutes ago, chadbag said:

We'll have to see.  I have the EVA and a normal KATO 500 but have done nothing with them DCC wise.

I have done the motor car on a Tomix N700 (the JR West / Kyushu Sakura one) but not the can cars.   Same on a KATO 800 Series (which does not have the DCC slot).  One of these days I'll tackle the cab cars...   Kind of been dreading it.

IIRC, inobu made a nice guide. It's not easy but at least there's a path to follow.

I suppose you'd expect to pay a bit extra for a limited run paint scheme especially seeing they would probably need to pay for Hello Kitty licensing as well as JR West's.

What hapeens ifnthe mini squid streams he has to have it and mrs squid says no hello kitty over her calamari plate... or has she brainwashed the small squid well enough?

jeff

I m a masssive fan of the 500 and the reason I got into this hobby in the first place,but not in this livery I m afraid,I m with squid on this one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

What hapeens ifnthe mini squid streams he has to have it and mrs squid says no hello kitty over her calamari plate... or has she brainwashed the small squid well enough?

jeff

He's in full-on Thomas mode at the moment which shows no sign of abating.

Come to think of it, I have a Fujikyu Thomas train from Tomytec knocking around somewhere, must dig that out.

• Haha 1

Good news for Z scale collectors!

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-25490&page=top

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-25491&page=top

This is so cute, it's cuteness overload... It even comes with a Hello Kitty controller and pink rerailer!

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-25492&page=top

Edited by JR 500系
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Video by wildcop's 新幹線と自衛隊

I just spotted a Cos-player in a maid costume! (9:10) Or is she a staff on the train? It looks like she was explaining something to a customer... 

It also seems it was stopped there for quite a long time.... noting that the other Kodama 500 on the opposite was only stopped and moved off in a matter of minutes... 

Edited by JR 500系
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Doesn’t feel quite a “pink” in real life view...

jeff

Long lens distance shot on a misty day? It looks very pink in the station.

Yes distance helps and on the layout you are seeing it more like in the video than the up close shots in the station, rarely get your eyeball that close to the layout usually unless sticking a camera into it.

funny as the e4 is the opposite. The nose and blockish body at a distance and just looking at an n scale train are not impressive and ugly to many, but once you see one wiz by fast in a station or slowly slip into a tight station the curves really are well done French curves that just grow properly and it’s emmense physical size floating in so quietly is awesome sauce. You then never look at the model the same again... I hoping that it works in reverse with the hello kitty as it will a staple I’m sure on the JRM layout at shows as it will bring in many kids and girls. 

Cheers,

jeff

5 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Yes distance helps and on the layout you are seeing it more like in the video than the up close shots in the station, rarely get your eyeball that close to the layout usually unless sticking a camera into it.

funny as the e4 is the opposite. The nose and blockish body at a distance and just looking at an n scale train are not impressive and ugly to many, but once you see one wiz by fast in a station or slowly slip into a tight station the curves really are well done French curves that just grow properly and it’s emmense physical size floating in so quietly is awesome sauce. You then never look at the model the same again... I hoping that it works in reverse with the hello kitty as it will a staple I’m sure on the JRM layout at shows as it will bring in many kids and girls. 

Cheers,

jeff

Sometimes I stick my head right down on the layout to get something like that perspective. A well placed camera can also come close. 

The video is very smooth. I wonder if the camera is computer controlled. Perhaps he observed/timed/measured angles for a few pass-bys and programmed a motion controlled camera. In any case, it's very well done.

16 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Doesn’t feel quite a “pink” in real life view...

The pinkest part is the roof and it's only visible from a downward looking angle. The farther the train is and the more level you are, the less of it is visible. Standing even a bit below track level, it's not even visible. The pink sidebands are thin and interrupted by the dark windows, so that adds an about 50% dithering to the color.

8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

The video is very smooth. I wonder if the camera is computer controlled. Perhaps he observed/timed/measured angles for a few pass-bys and programmed a motion controlled camera. In any case, it's very well done.

Near the end, there is a bit of undecided tracking motion, which looks like manual control to me. My guess is that this was done with a camera on a tripod with active optical and software motion tracking. If the sensor is slightly larger than the target format or a black band is allowed, then this even doable post prodution. Many japanese cameras have very good optical and software motion stabilization, including pan/tilt smoothing.

• Like 1