500 Shinkansen in Hello Kitty livery to be introduced

Being a cat person I might think about a model if Kato or Tomix made one but the only thing on it to say it's Hello Kitty seems to be the small drawing of the character on each cab car. At a train show I don't think anyone would get close enough to see what it is.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:59 AM, westfalen said:

Being a cat person I might think about a model if Kato or Tomix made one but the only thing on it to say it's Hello Kitty seems to be the small drawing of the character on each cab car. At a train show I don't think anyone would get close enough to see what it is.

You are obviously not a Hello Kitty person (neither am I, but I have a 10 year old daughter who has been one since birth).   The big bows on the side scream "Hello Kitty".   I think any true fan would recognize this immediately without seeing the small Kitty images...

I think it is well done (if not my "cup 'o tea") and if it comes out as a model will have to seriously consider it.  I told my daughter about it and she has already laid dibs on it.

• Like 1

All comes down to markets.

Hello Kitty isnt well known in Australia. But S.E. Asia and N. America it is. And those two locations are JR West biggest international markets.

The last EVA livery was the same deal. Marketing towards their biggest international customers.

On a personal level. The three themed 500s havent appealed to me on any level. But I can appreciate the effort they put into the trains for others to enjoy.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

For my personnal culture: I know the EVA livery but there is another previous one?

of the 500 shinkansen there has only been the EVA livery, the upcoming Hello Kitty livery, and some ad campaign ones (basic livery with stickers on specific places)

the only modeled one was the J.R. Series 500-7000 Sanyo SHINKANSEN (40th Anniversary Sanyo SHINKANSEN/Kansenger Ad-wrapped). only some on the end cars. not really exciting.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10326593

jeff

Actually there were more,

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10287706

(Note the different sticker, i call this one the adult version, and the one cteno linked the kid version)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10287708

If you are a die hard pla rail fan.
  • Like 1
  • Densha changed the title to 500 Shinkansen in Hello Kitty livery to be introduced

This was just on the radio, Mrs. Squid shook her head with a grimace and muttered "disgusting".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Goji 2020: Godzilla vs hello kitty

is mrs squid that sick of a lifetime of hello kitty?

jeff

Believe me, the only Hello Kitty we've ever had in the house came printed on long rolls of serrated soft paper.

• Haha 3
bikkuri bahn
On 3/22/2018 at 7:42 AM, katoftw said:

All comes down to markets.

Hello Kitty isnt well known in Australia. But S.E. Asia and N. America it is. And those two locations are JR West biggest international markets.

The last EVA livery was the same deal. Marketing towards their biggest international customers.

On a personal level. The three themed 500s havent appealed to me on any level. But I can appreciate the effort they put into the trains for others to enjoy.

This.  JR West has stated the reason was to appeal to foreign tourists (i.e. from mainland Asia), and to tie in with their Sanyo region tourist destination campaign.  The EVA was more of an appeal to both foreign and domestic otaku/anime fans, a smaller cache than the mainstream Hello Kitty.

I'm surprised that pictures of the actual Hello Kitty 500 Series Shinkansen haven't shown on anyone on social media yet.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:42 PM, Suica said:

No.

Send help, after seeing the real thing I think I'm actually going to like this after all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2