Now Here's An Unitram Layout!

bill937ca

I came across this while searching for something else.  :grin Its just a simple green felt background with a few scattered structures. But, Oh, so much track and junctions.  :toothy10::toothy10: His fleet seems to be mainly Tomytec trams, all motorized.  That puts him way ahead of me!

It's built on an old dresser and connects to large Unitrack  layout.

There is a whole library of layout videos.     https://www.youtube.com/user/tsukikage1634/videos

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On watching further, I note that the train layout controls are Tomix and what looks like a Tomix 5563 automatic control unit.  I really wish this guy had a website with a track plan. I'll work on a Unitram plan tomorrow.  There definitely are two Unitram loops on the Unitram layout along with various storage tracks and a single track connection to the train layout.

Edited by bill937ca
onetruescale

Good find, bill!  I often wonder why I haven’t found about 10x as much Japanese tram stuff on YouTube as I am seeing considering the popularity over there. It may be my searching in English, but maybe there just aren’t that many modelers posting.

It seems this guy has previously started posting some UNITRAM and rolling stock performance tests similar to mine.  Fortunately he mostly has Tomytec items I don’t have.  

I see many of the same challenges I am facing, such as needing to run too fast and varying number of trams on each block causing speed changes.  

I keep wanting to see him use the “torturous” two turnout routing adjacent to the crossover, but I think his trackplan is one where those turnouts cannot see repeated use on a fixed setting. They can only temporarily switch tracks. I like his custom (width and length) segment at 45deg.

To find these videos you have to search in Japanese or in terms the Japanese use. I was searching for  Hiroshima Electric Railway Type 1000 and  later Greenmover LEX which are terms used by the Hiroshima Electric Railway for a new series of low floor trams. I found a link to those videos in a You Tube sidebar for one of the prototype videos.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, onetruescale said:

I see many of the same challenges I am facing, such as needing to run too fast and varying number of trams on each block causing speed changes.

Two suggestions: PWM speed control for reliable slow speed running (Tomix CL or Kato DX controllers) and high enough power (current) to make the tram speeds dependent only on the pwm settings or using multiple smaller controllers and smaller blocks that have less trams in them.

• Thanks 1

Just judging by the first video, that guy seems to have a very high rate of tram-on-tram crashes and close calls! Along with one disappearing into thin air! I wonder what it would be like to be a passenger on one of those?