Thoughts on sites for freight video near Narita and Haneda

ia909

Hi all,

Am lucky enough to be travelling to Tokyo later this month in pursuit of my two hobbies, airplanes and trains.

I'm staying a few days near each of Narita and Haneda airports and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good places within a reasonable distance (preferably by train), to shoot some video of freight trains.

Many thanks.

Ian

Near Narita airport runs the Musashino Line, a mainly-freight line that bypasses central Tokyo.

Higashi-Matsudo station on the Musashino Line connects to the Hokuso Line/Keisei Narita Sky Access line, so it should be easy to reach it by train from the airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musashino_Line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higashi-Matsudo_Station

Near Haneda Airport, to the north (near Keikyu Samezu station) there is JR Freight's Tokyo Container Terminal, while to the south there is Kawasaki's industial area, with plenty of freight traffic (mainly jet fuel tanker trains), especially in the Tsurumi area. I recommend the latter as it's easier to reach and to get around.

Samezu station is on the Keikyu Main Line bound for Shinagawa. From Haneda Airport you should take any Keikyu train and then change at Keikyu Kamata for a Shinagawa-bound local train (only locals stop at Samezu).

The Tsurumi area can be reached also with Keikyu at Keikyu Tsurumi station on the Keikyu Main Line for Yokohama (Airport Expresses and Local trains stop at this station), there you should change to the famous JR Tsurumi line wich serves the industrial area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keikyū_Kawasaki_Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsurumi_Line

Edited by Socimi

If you wish to take pictures at the Tokyo Freight Terminal/Oi (Shinkansen) Rail Yards, I would leave before sunrise and take the Tokyo Monorail to Oi Keibajomae Station. You have to cross the canal and walk about 20 minutes to the Tokyo Freight Terminal. I've started a new thread to give you an idea of some things to see there. 

HaKlSps.jpg

krbpZu8.jpg

You can usually see both Dr. Yellow trains, but one is in its shed (north side) with just the nose poking out and the other can be seen on the other (south) side of the bridge. You can cross the highway on the bridge only at both ends. So it will take a while to get from one side to the other. Many years ago, I shot the Research Cabin ZX45A-1 on the south side of the bridge, but it wasn't there when I visited last year. There is a side road on the bridge that goes down to the Freight Terminal area, but that is JR  property. Otherwise you can shoot on the bridge. On the eastern end of the bridge, there is a Maintenance yard for Keihin-Tohoku Line trains. 

More on Nambu  Branch Line and Hama-Kawasaki Station next.

Grant

• Like 1

Another possibility, on a Tuesday or a Thursday, is  to catch the Beitan (JP-5 fuel tank consist that runs from Anzen Station on the Tsurumi Line to Yokota AB near Haijima Station.)  Hama-Kawasaki Station is a good place to shoots some freight trains in the morning. It is next to the Tokaido Main Line Freight Branch but between 8:30 and 9:30 you have some trains using the Tsurumi Branch Line. It is the tracks that runs next to the station and connects the Tokaido 

You have a DE-11 pass thru around 8:39, An EF-65 or EF-210  pulling gravel hoppers at about 8:44, and the spare Nambu Branch Line 205 passing thru at 8:53. The loco returns without the hoppers at 9.29AM. It used to park at the switch beyond the bridge for a while before coming back on the Tokaido Main Line Freight Branch Line heading east. The last couple times I watched it, it headed north towards Odasakae Station. The DE-11 takes the hoppers towards Ogimachi station and comes back with empties maybe around 12:14 and after parking them, heads towards Anzen Station if the Beitan loco with fuel tankers will make its run today. They start from Yokota and will pass by Hama-Kawasaki at around 12:35 and park to disconnect and connect on the opposite end of the tanker consist. But it won't start until 1:25. I'd head on to Anzen Station where the DE-11 will be bringing a consist of tank cars from the docks to the siding next to Anzen Station. The Beitan won't start back towards Hama-Kawasaki until 2:12. You could hurry ahead and shoot it by either Hama-Kawasaki Stations. Before it reaches Hama-Kawasaki, it goes behind the next station from Anzen, Musashi-Shiraishi. You'd have to leave the station and go across the road crossing to get a picture. 

After 9:00 the Tsurumi Line runs by Hama-Kawasaki less frequently so I'd go to Hatchonawate Station and hope to catch a freight train coming up from Tokaido Main Line. It has a spur that joins the Nambu Branch Line just before Hatchonawate Station. If not, there is a short consist coming down from Shitte at about at about 2:46. An EF-66 usually pulls it and it has either flat cars, tankers or hoppers. It is different from the others. At about 4:31, just after the 205 passes by, usually an EF-66 will come up the spur from the Tokaido Main Line. If you are at Hatchonawate Station, and look towards Hama-Kawasaki, you will see 3 signals in the distance. Two on the left and one on the right. The outer of the two is the signal fro freights coming from Shitte and the other is for the passenger 205. The single is for trains coming up the spur.Here, green it is OK to proceed.  Looking towards Shitte, you will see one signal. That controls the track that goes towards Shitte. We cannot see the signal that controls going down the spur, so you have to keep an eye out most of the time. Near 4:00  or usually near 5:00, after the 205 passes Hatchonawate heading towards Shitte an EH-500 Kintaro will come down from Shitte. 

Will post pictures foe these spots.

Grant

• Like 1

Hi Grant

Thanks so much for the very comprehensive information. I’ll take a copy of these details with me. The aviation fuel train sounds very interesting. 

The time taken by you is much appreciated. 

Regards

Ian

As you already know, I've posted a thread for taking pictures around the Shin-Tsurumi  locomotive Depot next to  Shin-Kawasaki Station.  If you would like to shoot a HD300 Hybrid in action, I would suggest visiting Hachioji Station. It is on the Chuo main line so you will get the Limited Express sometimes stopping or usually passing thru as well as some freight traffic. There are usually tank cars waiting at the siding next to the platforms and a HD300 Hybrid switcher is also parked there. It's used to move the tank cars and also take them to a facility nearby. I'll post pictures for you on another thread.

Grant