JNS Forum
chadbag

SAL vs Registered SAL

41 minutes ago, midoripeach9 said:

Also, what does the status "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" mean? Someone from reddit said it means it already left Japan.

That means the parcel is in transit from Japan but hasn't arrived yet in your country or if it has arrived  hasn't been scanned yet. Many countries treat SAL as regular parcels.

Yeah shipping sal to the us the two hold points are waiting for a plane in japan, then sitting in customs here, waiting to be processed and put into the us mail. Once in usmail it’s here in a couple of days. In japan sal stuff gets to the airport in a day or two to wait for space on a plane.

how fast the parcel gets to the airport in japan I think depends on the handling service the business uses to pickup packages and get them into the japan post system (I think some of these take it straight to a handling facility at the airport if memory serves me right).

jeff

Wonder of all wonders.   A registered SAL type package.  I think it is a SAL.  It is a registered mail "economy" shipping from an eBay seller in Japan.  Delivered to the post office in Japan on Saturday.  Already in customs in LAX!

9 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Could be an e parcel.

In any case, the "registered mail" packages from Japan are usually really slow to the US.  In my informal survey and experience, slower than the non-registered, whether SAL or regular non EMS package service.

I have another eBay package from japan, listed as same sort of service "registered mail" on the Japan Post website that was delivered to the post office on Monday.  Let's see how fast that one hits US customs.

I am not complaining.