Loco Camera

I suppose it's 640x480? All you can find on the web from Tomix states "VGA image quality" While there isn't any official designation like that (at least afaik) VGA was created for that resolution.

I found this video of the Camera car in action, which could fit resolutionwise (maybe even less?) Frame rate seems to be 15fps or so.

1 hour ago, Gryphr said:

I suppose it's 640x480? All you can find on the web from Tomix states "VGA image quality" While there isn't any official designation like that (at least afaik) VGA was created for that resolution.

I found this video of the Camera car in action, which could fit resolutionwise (maybe even less?) Frame rate seems to be 15fps or so.

Yeah. That's what it looks like. 

On 10/13/2018 at 10:20 PM, gavino200 said:

I got the camera train running today. Everything worked perfectly as predicted by kvp (thanks!). It's a ton of fun. I love it. Thanks everyone for chiming in with advice. 

I got two double decker cars to got with it which are very nice. Unfortunately, I got the wrong 5 car set as well. I got Tomix basic set 92463 by mistake, instead of add-on Tomix 92464. So if I can't exchange them I'll have to sell the basic and order the add-on. 

If anyone is on the fence about getting the camera train, I thoroughly recommend it. 

Thanks for the recommendation, Gavino. I'm considering getting the Tomix camera train as well.

I wonder if you had any trouble with the app all in Japanese? Are there instruction manuals for the app in English somewhere? Has anyone translated it?

8 minutes ago, jozasa said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Gavino. I'm considering getting the Tomix camera train as well.

I wonder if you had any trouble with the app all in Japanese? Are there instruction manuals for the app in English somewhere? Has anyone translated it?

Yes, I had a huge amount of trouble with the app at first. I couldn't work it out at all. But I did some searching online and managed to make sense of it. It took me about an hour to get it working. After I got it running it was easy to repeat. But I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, so I'm sure I'll have completely forgotten.

I'll take it for a run tomorrow, re-trace my steps, and post the process. I'm sure it'll also be useful as a reference for future me, next time I return to it an find the slate (my mind) is blank again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Yes, I had a huge amount of trouble with the app at first. I couldn't work it out at all. But I did some searching online and managed to make sense of it. It took me about an hour to get it working. After I got it running it was easy to repeat. But I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, so I'm sure I'll have completely forgotten.

I'll take it for a run tomorrow, re-trace my steps, and post the process. I'm sure it'll also be useful as a reference for future me, next time I return to it an find the slate (my mind) is blank again.

That would be great Gavin! I am having the same issue, but didn't have the skills nor knowledge to get it to work the way I want it too... It has now sort of making me regret getting it since it doesn't work really well... I would appreciate if there was a sure-fire easier way to get it started and running consistently! 

I played with the Camera Train today. I still remembered the controls somewhat, so I wasn't able to get as lost as the first time I set it up. As far as I remember I used a combination of google translate on screen and google translate "photo" on my phone to read the characters displayed as part of graphics. I roamed around all the options today and jotted down the structure of the program. 

These are the instructions for iphone use.

The grey shaded text (mostly at the bottom) describes buttons/functions that are unnecessary. You can ignore them.

Search app at the App store

Download and install

Place the train on the track

It needs to be either a CL (constant lighting) DC setup or a DCC setup

Go to your phone's settings

Go to "wifi"

Look for a "wifi" sources called "Tomix_Camera_Car_(then alpha numeric giberish)

Select it - there's no password

Now open the app

The home screen has two large buttons and two small buttons

I'll name these as below.

Large Left button

large Right button

small upper button

small lower button

Left large button is to access camera 

press it.

Then a new screen with two buttons appears

a blue button and a red button

Pres red to change the name of the camera device

It comes labeled by default as "Tomix_Camera_Train"

I didn't change it. Basically I don't use this funtion

Press blue to start the train camera

Another screen comes up that has a single red button

press the red button

Camera starts - Screen becomes cab view

There is a button on the top right of the screen  to record video

Press once to start 

Press once to stop

The first time you use record it you get asked permission to access the phones camera/storage

Press the button on the left for yes

Tap the screen to stop the camera

a screen opens with two buttons

Press the right button to cancel and continue watching train video.

Press the left button to stop camera

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Large right button is the video file management area

Scroll up and down to  select a video

The video plays when you press on it

The button on the right of the file name is to delete

You must answer an "are you sure" question before it deletes.

Left is yes (as always)

right is no

The deletion process takes a long time. I don't use it

Instead I manage the video files in my phones "photo gallery"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

small lower button

this is a "Help" or "Instruction guide" for the app

Unfortunately it's all in Japanese

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small upper button

This is the "Settings"

There are four subsections in vertically stacked buttons

Top button is a link to marketing material

Second from the top is the "WIFI" tab

Press OK

No clue what the two lower buttons are

Here is a picture?

The second button shows you the Train's Wifi ID

I guess so you can recognize and select it in the wifi settings of your phone as above

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 2

I've been running a ChooChoo Vision Cab-Cam for a couple of months now.  It's a WiFi enabled camera inside an HO Dummy Engine that streams video to a web-browser.  We have been using it for video shoots and remote operations.   Opened up my firewall and stream the video out to remote user for Ops.   You can even see the video using the Engine Driver throttle -- via the internet.

Camera image quality is really good, considering the small size.   I purchased an HO Dummy F7 and push it with a powered engine.    Planning on purchasing the HO Boxcar and pull it behind a powered engine.

It's the only system that we could find that would stream video to a web browser.

Found them at www.choochoovision.com

• Like 2