Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum
Kiha66

Help ordering from the UK - SOLVED

Hello all, there is a building for sale on ebay UK that only ships domestically.  Would anyone in the UK be willing to purchase the item then forward it to me (USA)?  I'm willing to pay for the item and both shipping, plus a little extra for your trouble.  I've been hunting for this building for a while now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kato-23-434A-Large-Office-Block/382387026052?hash=item59080af884:g:W-kAAOSwgsxajEyb

Edited by Kiha66

Unfortunately not, but I'm in no hurry to find one.  With my luck as soon a I click buy kato will announce a re-release of the diotown building line.  The search continues!

Hi Kiha66,

Sorry I missed your post as I'd have been happy to help.

There's a new one for sale in Germany, in a well respected model shop, albeit significantly more expensive than the eBay model https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/KATO/36-2-0-212836-004017-0-0-0-0-0-0-grp-gb-p-0/ein_produkt.html.

My German is a bit rusty but I think it says its in stock and I have bought from there before with no postage issues.

Osborn Models in the UK have 23-434B, their website says its in stock at £30. It looks like the same building only in red if color isn't a big issue. I think they post internationally but let me know if you need any assistance (am away from March 27th if you get a chance to reply before then).

Regards,

Ian

The problem with ordering from Modellbahn Lippe is their flat rate 27.50 Euro shipping to the US.   However, I plan on placing an order with Lippe when they get more of the D&H decoders I need in stock.  I'd be happy to include stuff like this for others and we just share the shipping.  Probably no more than a couple Euro (as my share of the order is much larger) plus the cost from me to you (whoever needs something from Lippe).

On 25/02/2018 at 10:46 PM, Kiha66 said:

Unfortunately not, but I'm in no hurry to find one.  With my luck as soon a I click buy kato will announce a re-release of the diotown building line.  The search continues!

Hi Kiha,

I think you'd have to be real desperate to buy this one........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kato-DioTown-N-Gauuge-23-434A-Metro-Series-6-Floor-Office-Building-2-Grey/192500181251?hash=item2cd1e7a903:g:DR4AAOSwDkVaH00X

I was looking out for one in Tokyo last week for you but nothing doing in any of the well-known places. Hope you're lucky soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ia909 said:

Hi Kiha,

I think you'd have to be real desperate to buy this one........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kato-DioTown-N-Gauuge-23-434A-Metro-Series-6-Floor-Office-Building-2-Grey/192500181251?hash=item2cd1e7a903:g:DR4AAOSwDkVaH00X

I was looking out for one in Tokyo last week for you but nothing doing in any of the well-known places. Hope you're lucky soon.

Oh wow, thank you so much!  Actually, just a few days ago I lucked out as a local member who was selling an estate contacted me with one, so it all worked out in the end!  I really appreciate the help everyone has given!

On 24/03/2018 at 5:36 PM, scotspensioner said:

Osborne models website is notoriously unreliable based on personal experiences.Nowadays I just don't go near them

Bit late seeing this thread gents but this is my 2p worth.

I totally agree,when I built my first train layout 5 years ago I bought almost everything from them but I had an issue with a locco I d bought from eBay,I was talking to them when placing an order and they said they did repairs so I sent it off to them,five years later and I still have nt had it back.

The best place I ve found is top slots and Trains,he s by far the cheapest in the uk,he has one price for delivery no matter what size the order is and if you order before 2 pm it arrives next day,real nice guy too.He s 15% cheaper than Gaugemaster who are the main uk supplier .

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

Bit late seeing this thread gents but this is my 2p worth.

I totally agree,when I built my first train layout 5 years ago I bought almost everything from them but I had an issue with a locco I d bought from eBay,I was talking to them when placing an order and they said they did repairs so I sent it off to them,five years later and I still have nt had it back.

The best place I ve found is top slots and Trains,he s by far the cheapest in the uk,he has one price for delivery no matter what size the order is and if you order before 2 pm it arrives next day,real nice guy too.He s 15% cheaper than Gaugemaster who are the main uk supplier .

Thanks Paul for this comment.

In my case I've lost some money because items shown on the website weren't available but it was only after I'd paid for it that the  non availability was made known

I've raised it with them.

I personally use traintrax who have a fair selection of stock and are now taking pre-ordered at prices way below Gaugemaster e g Kato U S City of LA £200( £184 if ordered before a date in May)Gaugemaster £250!!

Need I say more

I get the impression Osborn's reputation is patchy to say the least.

Edited by scotspensioner

That’s putting it politely.

i ve spoken to them on a few occasions in the past,It’s run by father and son,Michael,the sun is ok to deal with but the father is just obnoxious,none of this detracts from the fact that they are ok if it’s in stock but very unreliable if it is nt.To be honest I just used to ring with my order and that way I did nt end up paying for something they did nt have.

Wait, they took your money but didn't send you the product, or took your train and haven't given it back for years?  You all are much more forgiving than I would be in that situation.  How a store can provide such horrible service and remain viable is a mystery to me.

4 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Wait, they took your money but didn't send you the product, or took your train and haven't given it back for years?  You all are much more forgiving than I would be in that situation.  How a store can provide such horrible service and remain viable is a mystery to me.

Hi sam,

when I first started I built a fairground in ho scale,I bought everything from them,kit wise,and spent well over £1000 in total.I then built a smallish BRITISH railway and again spent over £750;with them,so I d built up a bit of a relationship with the son at least. I bought a second hand locco from eBay and when it arrived it was a non runner,I should have guessed as it was only £15,I happened to mention it and he said he would repair it,I took him at his word sam,Obviously I do nt go near them anymore and have moved on to the Japanese stuff now anyway.It was only £15 in my case sam and to be honest I could nt be bothered with the mither at the time.I dread to think How much I ve spent on my current layout,so he s the biggest loser here Hey?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hi sam,

when I first started I built a fairground in ho scale,I bought everything from them,kit wise,and spent well over £1000 in total.I then built a smallish BRITISH railway and again spent over £750;with them,so I d built up a bit of a relationship with the son at least. I bought a second hand locco from eBay and when it arrived it was a non runner,I should have guessed as it was only £15,I happened to mention it and he said he would repair it,I took him at his word sam,Obviously I do nt go near them anymore and have moved on to the Japanese stuff now anyway.It was only £15 in my case sam and to be honest I could nt be bothered with the mither at the time.I dread to think How much I ve spent on my current layout,so he s the biggest loser here Hey?

Thanks for the reply,  that is much better than I was imagining.  Still unfortunate, but at least it wasn't some expensive locomotive that was never returned.   Glad you saw the light and moved to Japanese trains!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks for the reply,  that is much better than I was imagining.  Still unfortunate, but at least it wasn't some expensive locomotive that was never returned.   Glad you saw the light and moved to Japanese trains!

But they advertise themselves as a major Kato dealer and also advertise Tomix etc as well! 

But no way am I going back to them!