What is this livery?

Gryphr

While browsing some train pictures on a site I came across this picture of 2 485 series trainsets coupled together, but I don't recognize the livery of the left one and the site doesn't mention anything about it (as far as I've read it). Does anyone know which livery it is/for which service it was used?

It is the third picture on this page:
http://type103.heteml.jp/hk/rail/ec/ec485/ec485_tenpai.htm

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1

They seem to be slightly different types based on the coupled fronts. The name board cutout is also different. Could the two types run together?

• Thanks 1

The left is a 583 while the right is a 485.  Notice the slightly more slanted window of the left one.  485s were added to the services when there werent enough 581 sets to meet capacity demands.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Thanks 2

On occasion 485 motor+trailor pairs would be added inline of a 583 set too, thanks to JNR and their obsessive use of standardization of controls.  

• Thanks 2

Indeed, just look at the last car on the picture right under the one mentioned by Gryphr, the last car of that 485 consist seems to be some commuter stock. Probably a 103 cab car.

485+103.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the answers, guys :)
Control standardization is really an interesting thing, gives you some nice possibilities for "wacky" formations :D
Hadn't even noticed the different windows on the original pic or the commuter car on the last picture, guess I'll need a better eye for details.

Edited by Gryphr
1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Indeed, just look at the last car on the picture right under the one mentioned by Gryphr, the last car of that 485 consist seems to be some commuter stock. Probably a 103 cab car.

Test run of some sort, according to the front name board.