Doehler & Haass PD05A Decoder programming issue

gavino200

53 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks. Is there a reliable way to reset it to a specific address or should I just count my blessings and leave it at 03?

The issue is two fold. The ESU values written to the D&H decoder set other values which change the decoder figuration. 

Because these presets are not in JMRI you will have to manually do the change.

Here is what happens.

When the decoder is powered on it looks at all of the CV values to see what features it is suppose to use.

CV 29 bit 5 is what activates the Long address. If it see that value 32 then it will NOT look at CV1 for the Short address. 

It will look at CV 17 and CV 18 for the Long 4 digit address.

This means you will have to change CV29  to 32 according to their manual. That value could be different for other decoders.

Then change CV17 and CV18. You need to calculate what the value needs to be. Use this only for CV17 and 18

http://www.digitrax.com/support/cv/calculators/

Play around with JMRI and watch how it changes the values. You will see how it works.

Inobu

Look at CV 29. Notice how the value changes what you select the different features.

CV29 with only Long address is 32, if you add the 14-28/126 speed steps and Analog permitted the value adds up to 38

testdc.jpg.4223e738f8d383177838caed74e761a7.jpg

The bit on the left is the binary

32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1

1      0    0    1   1   0    add where the ones are flagged and you get 38.

The 1 and like little check marks stating that you want those feature turn on. The decoder is a machine that reads binary. We people are decimal

so 38 is for us to understand the binary is the translations that is taking place.

Edited by inobu
1 hour ago, inobu said:

The issue is two fold. The ESU values written to the D&H decoder set other values which change the decoder figuration. 

Because these presets are not in JMRI you will have to manually do the change.

Here is what happens.

When the decoder is powered on it looks at all of the CV values to see what features it is suppose to use.

CV 29 bit 5 is what activates the Long address. If it see that value 32 then it will NOT look at CV1 for the Short address. 

It will look at CV 17 and CV 18 for the Long 4 digit address.

This means you will have to change CV29  to 32 according to their manual. That value could be different for other decoders.

Then change CV17 and CV18. You need to calculate what the value needs to be. Use this only for CV17 and 18

http://www.digitrax.com/support/cv/calculators/

Play around with JMRI and watch how it changes the values. You will see how it works.

Inobu

Look at CV 29. Notice how the value changes what you select the different features.

CV29 with only Long address is 32, if you add the 14-28/126 speed steps and Analog permitted the value adds up to 38

testdc.jpg.4223e738f8d383177838caed74e761a7.jpg

The bit on the left is the binary

32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1

1      0    0    1   1   0    add where the ones are flagged and you get 38.

The 1 and like little check marks stating that you want those feature turn on. The decoder is a machine that reads binary. We people are decimal

so 38 is for us to understand the binary is the translations that is taking place.

That's pretty interesting. I've always meant to get a bit deeper into this. I guess this forces the issue. I'm going to study this a bit before I do anything else. Hopefully I can fix it over the weekend.

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

That's pretty interesting. I've always meant to get a bit deeper into this. I guess this forces the issue. I'm going to study this a bit before I do anything else. Hopefully I can fix it over the weekend.

Actually this is a good exercise in that it gives you experience and allows you to set up limits.

Inobu 

• Like 1

Update: I just had the same exact problem programming an identical decoder in a different loco using JMRI. This time I followed the D&H instructions exactly. But the same lock-out happened. 

Fortunately, I just referred back to this thread and followed inobu's instructions again. Simple reset. Then I manually programmed the decoder using my digitrax control cab.

I would strongly recommend against using JMRI to program a new model D&H decoder.

I bought the Programmer Module for D&H.  Mainly because I want to be able to download sound files into some NeXT18 sound modules and some SUSI sound modules I got to experiment with.  But luckily it can be used for general programming of their decoders.

Interesting. How much is it? Also, does it work for ESU LokSound decoders as well? Don't these decoders have some kind of "railsponding" ability? Are you planning to use that? What can it do?

The D&H Programmer is just for the D&H decoders.  D&H makes a bunch of Sound capable decoders including add-on ones you connect to SUSI compatible motor or function decoders.  While I can program the basic functions for the D&H decoders (and I have basically standardized on them for all non-lightboard replacement DCC decoder installs, though I have a ZIMO, and a ESU LokPilot I will be using since I I have them, and a couple more Digitrax wired ones I already have..

Since I have a couple of the SD18A Next18 with Sound decoders, and a few of the SH10A (SUSI compatible wired sound decoders), I got the programmer box to be able to download my own sounds.  Modellbahn-Lippe (and probably most of the German dealers) will download whatever sound project, from the available list, into the decoders you buy, but if you want to change them, you need the programmer or to send it back to someone with one to get a new sound project downloaded.   I will be installing a speaker into a Fleischmann Lokomotive I have that is Next18 compatible and giving it a whirl.  I got some D&H ;abetted sugar cube speakers and sound boxes plus some other sugar cube speakers and sound boxes off eBay and sbs4dcc.com.  The D&H one will work for my Fleischmann, once I lower the height (and volume 😞   ) of teh sound box a mm or 2.

The D&H do support "RailCom" 2-way communications, and I do plan  on using that eventually.  I made sure to buy block detectors that are RailCom compatible, for when I get that far.  I am not sure if they support "Railcom Plus".   I assume not until I find it explicitly mentioned.

https://www.locgeek.com/2012/10/railcom-railcom-plus-what-are-these/

11 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Modellbahn-Lippe (and probably most of the German dealers) will download whatever sound project, from the available list, into the decoders you buy, but if you want to change them,

Interesting, and good to know. Thanks. I wish I knew this before I got stuck with a diesel GS-4.

8 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Interesting, and good to know. Thanks. I wish I knew this before I got stuck with a diesel GS-4.

Explain.

15 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Explain.

I bought a LokSound for my GS-4. I had assumed that the default sound would be a generic steam engine, like it is with SoundTraxx. I figured if I needed to change the sound file, I could do that with JMRI. I know, a lot of assumptions (Hee-haw). Unfortunately, ESU gave me a default diesel sound, which I can't change unless I buy a LokProgrammer. So I currently have a GS-4 with diesel sound. 

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

I bought a LokSound for my GS-4. I had assumed that the default sound would be a generic steam engine, like it is with SoundTraxx. I figured if I needed to change the sound file, I could do that with JMRI. I know, a lot of assumptions (Hee-haw). Unfortunately, ESU gave me a default diesel sound, which I can't change unless I buy a LokProgrammer. So I currently have a GS-4 with diesel sound. 

Ah.  Well, you need to get a diesel you can put it in, and then get a steam sound.  I would recommend D&H, or at least SUSI compatible so you can use them with any motor decoder you want (that has SUSI output -- many brands do -- at least Euro brands) if they are not built in. 🙂

Or dedicate yourself to ESU and buy their programmer...   There is always something to buy...

Edited by chadbag
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

Ah.  Well, you need to get a diesel you can put it in, and then get a steam sound.  I would recommend D&H, or at least SUSI compatible so you can use them with any motor decoder you want (that has SUSI output -- many brands do -- at least Euro brands) if they are not built in. 🙂

Or dedicate yourself to ESU and buy their programmer...   There is always something to buy...

I may opt for ESU. I've installed a lot of their decoders. Believe it or not, I stopped using them mainly out of spite, after the diesel sound incident. I probably would have already forgiven them and bought the Lok Programmer - it has a nice interface, much nicer than JMRI - but they are less attractive, now that they've lost their "world's smallest decoder" crown. I really like having the smallest decoder available for tricky installations. Plus, they're widely available in Murica, as opposed to DH that are a PITA to buy. The best solution would be for you to get your US D&H dealership going ASAP! Eh, would you mind doing that?