Doehler & Haass PD05A Decoder programming issue

gavino200

I put a D&H PD05A in a EF-210 yesterday. It worked perfectly on factory setting of address 03.

http://doehler-haass.de/cms/pages/produkte/fahrzeugdecoder/pd05a.php

However, I've had some trouble programming it. JMRI doesn't have a software setting for it. The "Generic D&H" setting doesn't work. The most recent D/H decoder definitions in JMRI are from 2014. I think this is a brand new model. 

I also made a screw up when programming it. I initially selected ESU lokpilot as the software and tried to program it. I'm used to thinking of ESU as my go to "teeny tiny" decoder, and forgot I found a teeny-tinier one. Anyway, it now doesn't respond to 03 or the address I tried to program it too. I'd be surprised if this FUBARed it, as I am certain I've made this mistake before without destroying the decoder. 

I notice that D&H recommend and sell their own hardware for programming this thing.

http://doehler-haass.de/cms/media/pdf2/PROG_Operating_Instructions.pdf

Anyone know if I can program this the PDO5 without buying proprietary D&H hardware?

Maybe I'll be able to get updated decoder definitions from JMRI when the site is back up. Seems to be down now for renovations. No mention of when it'll be back up.

http://jmri.org/

On the D&H instruction PDF they mentions that "AC systems with switching pulse" can destroy the decoder. However they state that it works with NMRA-DCC. It worked fine on my Digitrax system before "Programming". I can't imagine it was damaged by the Digitrax programming track.

It's pretty much all in German btw.

http://doehler-haass.de/cms/media/pdf/PD05A.pdf

I sent an email to D&H in the best German I could muster. In the meantime I'll keep searching and fiddling with JMRI.

Edited by gavino200

I have a  bunch of these (not yet installed -- for my Japanese freight engines) and about to order some more.

They claim, except for some exceptions, that this one works with the same programming as their other ones and they point you to this:

DH05C_DH10C_DH16A_en.pdf

The exceptions are

 Keine Unterstützung der Betriebsarten MM und DC-analog

  Keine Unterstützung der SX1-Programmierung (der SX1-Betrieb ist aber durch die SX2-

Parameterprogrammierung möglich)

  Keine SUSI-Schnittstelle und keine Funktionsausgänge

  Keine niederfrequente Motoransteuerung (16 kHz oder 32 kHz sind aber wählbar)

  Keine erweiterten Funktionszuordnungen (das heißt: keine Bedingungen, kein Initialmapping usw.)

  Kein automatischer Kupplungsablauf

  Keine Bremsrampe

Which is (translate.google.com -- yes I speak German but that is easier)

 No support of MM and DC analog modes
 No SX1 programming support (SX1 operation is not supported by the SX2
Parameter programming possible)
 No SUSI interface and no function outputs
 No low-frequency motor control (16 kHz or 32 kHz can be selected)
 No advanced function mappings (that is, no conditions, no initial mapping, and so on)
 No automatic coupling process
 No braking ramp

Edited by chadbag

Ok. So I "added new" loco on JMRI, and chose "Identify decoder". I got the following message. I'm guessing from this two things.

1. The decoder is still alive

2. I need to wait and get updated decoder definitions from JMRI.

If I get 'firmware' from D&H I don't know how to or if I can add that myself to JMRI.

62PGuPT.png

You don't have to get any firmware. All you need is the register map in a format that jmri understands. Since jmri is an open source freeware software either you or someone else has to write it. Or you can ask the manufacturer to do it for free.

If you don't want to program it, then just use it as a generic dcc decoder. No need to id for that.

13 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I have a  bunch of these (not yet installed -- for my Japanese freight engines) and about to order some more.

They claim, except for some exceptions, that this one works with the same programming as their other ones and they point you to this:

DH05C_DH10C_DH16A_en.pdf

The exceptions are

 Keine Unterstützung der Betriebsarten MM und DC-analog

  Keine Unterstützung der SX1-Programmierung (der SX1-Betrieb ist aber durch die SX2-

Parameterprogrammierung möglich)

  Keine SUSI-Schnittstelle und keine Funktionsausgänge

  Keine niederfrequente Motoransteuerung (16 kHz oder 32 kHz sind aber wählbar)

  Keine erweiterten Funktionszuordnungen (das heißt: keine Bedingungen, kein Initialmapping usw.)

  Kein automatischer Kupplungsablauf

  Keine Bremsrampe

Which is (translate.google.com -- yes I speak German but that is easier)

 No support of MM and DC analog modes
 No SX1 programming support (SX1 operation is not supported by the SX2
Parameter programming possible)
 No SUSI interface and no function outputs
 No low-frequency motor control (16 kHz or 32 kHz can be selected)
 No advanced function mappings (that is, no conditions, no initial mapping, and so on)
 No automatic coupling process
 No braking ramp

Yes, none of that should bother me. Except...I was concerned about the statement regarding SX1, as the ESU does mention SX on the box. 

The most recent D&H entry in JMRI is from 2014.

I just tried using the DHO5C settings. It looked like it was writing. But no result. The loco is still a brick.

2 minutes ago, kvp said:

You don't have to get any firmware. All you need is the register map in a format that jmri understands. Since jmri is an open source freeware software either you or someone else has to write it. Or you can ask the manufacturer to do it for free.

If you don't want to program it, then just use it as a generic dcc decoder. No need to id for that.

It's not responding to anything. Let me look for the "generic dcc decoder" setting.

I wonder if this could be related to my Digitrax system. I just reset it last night. However, I programmed a different decoder after trying with the D&H and had no problem.

Tried DH16A settings. No error message when writing. Loco made usual tiny clicking noises when programming (although no tine light flashes). Still a brick. 

14 minutes ago, kvp said:

If you mean by this, to leave it in factory settings as loco address 03, then too late. It was, but is not longer responding to 03.

Systems check: 

Other trains are running fine - DCC controller works

Other decoder successfully programmed - programming track works.

Loco makes tiny sounds while decoder being written - pickup must work.

Probability of both LED and motor solder joints coming loose is very low.

JMRI can read the decoder type.

My conclusion - highly likely to be a software problem.

9 minutes ago, inobu said:

Write 8 to cv 8 

2 or 3 time over and over then read address. 

Inobu

It's greyed out like it's copyright protected or something. I can't touch 7 or 8.

qUrGx5H.png

35 minutes ago, inobu said:

Write 8 to cv 8 

2 or 3 time over and over then read address. 

Inobu

After trying many times it finally changed. It's reading 97.

Loco is working on address 3. I repeat - loco is working. You rock, Inobu!!

I'd say "I owe you one", but it's not true. At this stage I owe you a zillion. Can I send you a bottle of wine, or something?

1 minute ago, gavino200 said:

address is 3

CV8 is 97

2 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Loco is working on address 3. I repeat - loco is working. You rock, Inobu!!

I'd say "I owe you one", but it's not true. At this stage I owe you a zillion. Can I send you a bottle of wine, or something?

Be careful  with these decoder you can lock it out. 

You can change the long address and change a setting that will shut DCC operation off which will not let you program it via DCC. 

Then you can shut the MM (Marklin Motorola) operation off and MM disable programming. With that everything is off and game over. 

Because the service more was open you could reset everything. Had the DCC operation been cut off it would have been bricked. 

Inobu 

2 minutes ago, inobu said:

Be careful  with these decoder you can lock it out. 

You can change the long address and change a setting that will shut DCC operation off which will not let you program it via DCC. 

Then you can shut the MM (Marklin Motorola) operation off and MM disable programming. With that everything is off and game over. 

Because the service more was open you could reset everything. Had the DCC operation been cut off it would have been bricked. 

Inobu 

Thanks. Is there a reliable way to reset it to a specific address or should I just count my blessings and leave it at 03?

19 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks. Is there a reliable way to reset it to a specific address or should I just count my blessings and leave it at 03?

Can you just do a generic address change?  While I have JMRI and the NCE USB interface, I have not gotten it working yet, and have just been using the NCE power cab to program stuff manually.   I've been able to change the addresses using that for all my decoders including the DH05.

3 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Can you just do a generic address change?  While I have JMRI and the NCE USB interface, I have not gotten it working yet, and have just been using the NCE power cab to program stuff manually.   I've been able to change the addresses using that for all my decoders including the DH05.

Well. I'm just breathing a sigh of relief for now. I'll wait for a nod from someone with superior knowledge before I do anything more with it right now.. I'm not at all sure what kind of sorcery Inobu just pulled off. Think I'll just go ride my bike now and enjoy the good outcome.