Digitrax problems - "Slot Max"

gavino200

I don't do anything complicated with my Digitrax system. All I do Is run trains. No operating sessions. No "dispatching". Nothing fancy. I understand that the system stores addresses so that you can "recall" them, and switch between them. I generally don't use this feature. I just put dial in the address of a loco and run it. The most complex I get is having the two knobs on the hand piece each controlling a different train. In my hands anything more complex tends to lead to collisions.

Slot max is becoming my nemesis and is ruing my fun running trains. I can't tell if there's a problem with my system, or if I'm going something wrong. I'm following the manual as well as I can. What I want to do is to clear out all the addresses in the system's memory, so I can go back to running trains. 

Here's the situation.

Both throttles/cabs/hand sets read "Slot max".

Per the DT500 manual 5.10 section "slot max", I need to release some addresses. Go to 5.6

5.6 tells me to press loco. then Disp or Exit. That should be it. The address should be gone. Except.... it doesn't go. I keep getting slot max.

Section 5.8 "Recalling a loco". I follow the instructions. Hold down the knob. Recall flashes. I select an address. Then try to release is as in 5.6. Doesn't work. Arrgh!!!!!!

So I gather I'm using the system with the memory full. I think it doesn't function too well with a full memory. Some glitches occur. For example. If I have two addresses in one cab, sometimes it controls the same loco, regardless of which loco is selected. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a bug in my system? How can I clear the memory on this thing? 

I found this Digitrax YouTube video that helped. The switch resets didn't work on my unit, So I opened it up and removed the battery for a total reset. It seems to work again now. 

The Digitrax manual sucks IMHO. That thing needs a page one re-write.

Edited by gavino200

Our local club has a procedure to clear the memory after every run, you have to do so periodically so it doesn't fill up.  I forget the way to do it using the hand set, but IIRC there is simple way.  If you use JMRI there is a button to do so automatically.  I agree the manual is pretty useless, its written for people who already know the system (and thus never need it) and not for those trying to learn how to use it.  The decoder manuals are even worse, they basically just tell you to look it up online.

4 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Our local club has a procedure to clear the memory after every run, you have to do so periodically so it doesn't fill up.  I forget the way to do it using the hand set, but IIRC there is simple way.  If you use JMRI there is a button to do so automatically.  I agree the manual is pretty useless, its written for people who already know the system (and thus never need it) and not for those trying to learn how to use it.  The decoder manuals are even worse, they basically just tell you to look it up online.

I agree. I won't hesitate to reset it this way in future if I see any sign of trouble. It's been getting buggier gradually over the last few months. But in the last few days it's been going completely bonkers. It wouldn't respond to any of the handset resets or even the "Switch" resets. But it works fine now. All's well that ends well.

Glad to hear it!  I think it takes a while but once the slots are full it has issues.  I wish they made the reset easier though.

Actually what happens is the 200 slots gets filled with addresses. The problem here seems to be that if you drop a loco address without removing the dispatch first, then if it gets dispatched again, so it takes up one slot until a dispatchless throttle captures it. This is called a memory leak and it is a bug. Normally if you want to clear a loco, then dispatching it to your throttle and then clearing it should work. Dispatching it again does not as it just offers it for capture by a non dispatch throttle and keeps it in the system.

Besides full resets, there should be two ways to get them out of your system. One is using steal on your throttle to steal the locos back, then clearing them. The other is to program the system to drop unused loco addresses automatically after a given time. Set this high enough that if you leave a loco moving without throttle control at a set speed, you won't get it cleared out during a running session. An alternative is to set the system to auto clear on startup, so powering it off and on again will reset it back to empty. This is the default for many european systems.

ps: imho that manual was written for engineers, so clearly for the devs themselves and not as a public manual

38 minutes ago, kvp said:

The other is to program the system to drop unused loco addresses automatically after a given time. Set this high enough that if you leave a loco moving without throttle control at a set speed, you won't get it cleared out during a running session. An alternative is to set the system to auto clear on startup, so powering it off and on again will reset it back to empty. This is the default for many european systems.

ps: imho that manual was written for engineers, so clearly for the devs themselves and not as a public manual

Thanks KV. I think I'll work out how to do this. 

Best and easiest option is to get a PR3 and JMRI. IT will make life easier in a lot of ways.

JMRI has a slot monitor that displays everything you need to see. Click 1 button and it frees the slots.

Just one of many things it does.

medium_slot.jpg.b8b378d3578cbca3a449b2a4

Inobu

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

That's what our club does, not necessary for a home layout but invaluable for a large club.

To say a graphical interface to read and write decoder CV's is not necessary but hunting and pecking CV is. ok 

There are 9500 user in the JMRI forum. If you want to think they are regulated to clubs. I guess so.

large.gallery_153_36_1357005277_1005.jpg

I guess.....

Inobu

Edited by inobu
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

That's what our club does, not necessary for a home layout but invaluable for a large club.

I use JMRI at home, it's just as invaluable there as at a club and only costs about the price of two or three decoders for a computer interface. I mainly use a Sprog3 lately because it will read and program just about anything but I also have a RR Cirkits Locobuffer that cost about $60. JMRI itself is free and must be one of the most comprehensive free programs ever.

As inobu says, CVs, what are they? I wouldn't even consider programming an ESU sound decoder without JMRI.

11 hours ago, inobu said:

Best and easiest option is to get a PR3 and JMRI. IT will make life easier in a lot of ways.

JMRI has a slot monitor that displays everything you need to see. Click 1 button and it frees the slots.

Just one of many things it does.

medium_slot.jpg.b8b378d3578cbca3a449b2a4

Inobu

Thanks Inobu. That's awesome. I have a PR3 and JMRI. I really only use it for programming Decoders. This will make life easier.

8 hours ago, westfalen said:

As inobu says, CVs, what are they? I wouldn't even consider programming an ESU sound decoder without JMRI.

That's interesting. I was under the impression that you needed the "Lok Programmer" to program an ESU sound decoder. Have you found a way to do it? My GS-4 still has the ESU factory default diesel sounds.

The sound files are different. Its has a proprietary file configuration that JMRI cannot access. The decoder CV section is accessible.

ESU is really making leaps in their product lines. The Lok sound program is free and worth looking at if you like it get the Lok Programmer.

I listen to a friend and got one myself. Its a good tool to have. 

GS-4

You will need the Lok programmer to make the changes.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
8 minutes ago, inobu said:

The sound files are different. Its has a proprietary file configuration that JMRI cannot access. The decoder CV section is accessible.

ESU is really making leaps in their product lines. The Lok sound program is free and worth looking at if you like it get the Lok Programmer.

I listen to a friend and got one myself. Its a good tool to have. 

GS-4

You will need the Lok programmer to make the changes.

Inobu

Their user interface looks good too. So far I like ESU. If I decide to make them my preferred brand, I'll probably buy the programmer. But I really don't need them for most installations and domestic decoders can be picked up for around half the price.

My GS-4 diesel is quite amusing btw. I almost like it. 

19 hours ago, gavino200 said:

That's interesting. I was under the impression that you needed the "Lok Programmer" to program an ESU sound decoder. Have you found a way to do it? My GS-4 still has the ESU factory default diesel sounds.

You can do everything except change the sound files.

I am thinking of getting a Lok Programmer though because ESU's new drop-in style Atlas decoder means a lot of my U.S. diesels will be getting sound.