Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maihama eki

Kato T-Trak Module Kits

Just a tad more expensive than our commercial modules here in the states once you add the track and feeders. Construction design does not look super pretty though. Why they put those exposed ply faces on the feet I don’t get, just ugly! Not good woodworking design! Sorry I’m a snob on that especially if you are paying that much for a premade kit. I worked with lee on modifying the initial Ttrak box to get rid of two end edges like that as it was put in to get 4 more pieces of sides out of a sheet of ply. Saved 10 cents per module in wood but looked ugly...

Most of our commercial modules here are very nicely cnc cut and have interlocking box joints for very easy assembly. Usually in the $20-30 range. The interlocking corners do expose ply edge but the box joint looks pretty and becomes a feature and for many the ease of assembly with the box joint is a big plus.

jeff

My assumption is that this design needs the least amount of cuts with the largest tolerances and still results in usable modules. The boards could also be cut in batches on a simple cutting table. They also look easily invertible for a bridge, just glue them differently.

The modules i'm using are 700 huf + screws, so around 5 usd for a single module. They are precut by the wood shop. Just glue, drill and paint then it's ready for the tracks.

Edited by kvp

I’m sure kato has contracted a cnc shop to cut them, it’s the de facto standard these days, especially if you are doing large jobs and want consistent tolerances. Even small cabinet shops now have them as it’s such a timesaver and tolerances are amazing. My cousin converted to mostly cnc with his small upscale cabinetry shop like 15 years back  and made quite a chunk change.

yeah a decent Ttrak box and hardware here is about $2-3 with hardware depending on wood and details (like external veneer etc).

pretty quick to cut out.

those exposed ply pieces on the bottom just bug me, easy to have designed something better, especially for the price and from kato, they usually not sloppy...

jeff

My first impression from Kato's photos is that they look very rough for the price.

Very un-Kato and un-Japan considering Japan's tradition of fine woodworking.