Layout Planning

Psychiclord

Gentlefolk.

Having recently retired, I find myself in the middle of planning a new large layout which will be using 15 baseboards bolted together (see attached plan - the white squares each represent 6 square

inch). The theme of the layout will be based on a part of Tokyo modelling the lead up and ebb of a rush hour.

The current plans is for 4 x point to point suburban lines which will be automated, which each line having a dedicated Tomix tnos system to achieve the required automation. Initally

each line will use either layout 9 or 10. Currently this means only a single intermediate stop...... I am hoping Tomix will provide more advanced routes downwind (i.e. more blocks/station stops). 

A 5th line will also be automated but this time a dog bone using another 2 x Tomix tnos unit. Here, I hope to work out to interlace 2 x layout 7 to reach 16 blocks).

The 6th and final line will be automated without tnos, as this will be a 'Y' (point to points) line. Trains will need to run in sequence (of three) to: left branch, right branch, and short-working (head shunt).

All lines will be linked to 'service track' which leads to a helix which will take the cars to and from the fiddle yard below the main boards. The intention is that trains are manually operated to/from

the fiddle yard to their operating position (yes, this might need some thinking in regards how to reach the tnos starting positions. 

If anyone has any thoughts on my initial thinking, I would be very grateful.

Boards.PNG

2 hours ago, Psychiclord said:

All lines will be linked to 'service track' which leads to a helix which will take the cars to and from the fiddle yard below the main boards. The intention is that trains are manually operated to/from

the fiddle yard to their operating position (yes, this might need some thinking in regards how to reach the tnos starting positions. 

The trivial way would be to control the service track directly and have a double pole, double throw, center off switch to allow any TNOS driven block switched over to manual control. This would even allow all blocks on each line to be controlled by a single analog controller, the TNOS output assigned to them or turned off.

2 hours ago, Psychiclord said:

Gentlefolk.

Having recently retired, I find myself in the middle of planning a new large layout which will be using 15 baseboards bolted together (see attached plan - the white squares each represent 6 square

inch). The theme of the layout will be based on a part of Tokyo modelling the lead up and ebb of a rush hour.

The current plans is for 4 x point to point suburban lines which will be automated, which each line having a dedicated Tomix tnos system to achieve the required automation. Initally

each line will use either layout 9 or 10. Currently this means only a single intermediate stop...... I am hoping Tomix will provide more advanced routes downwind (i.e. more blocks/station stops). 

A 5th line will also be automated but this time a dog bone using another 2 x Tomix tnos unit. Here, I hope to work out to interlace 2 x layout 7 to reach 16 blocks).

The 6th and final line will be automated without tnos, as this will be a 'Y' (point to points) line. Trains will need to run in sequence (of three) to: left branch, right branch, and short-working (head shunt).

Sounds like an amazing project. Do you have a sketch of the overall track plan?

KVP

Than you for your thoughts, manual control of the service tracks is a must. 

For trains exiting the automatic lines to the service tracks,  it might be possible to use an additional sensor to allow 'tnos' to know that block is now free. Although with information on the system in short supply, I am not sure if it would work for exiting trains. It is unlikely to work for trains entering the automatic lines as these need to be in a starting position.

Gavino200

The track plan is still be considered, the number of cars per train per line will drive block size, platform length,  etc. 

I will upload my initial ideas, once I feel happy with a track plan. Ideally I would like each route to be completely separate, yet look connected (some dummy junctions might achieve this). 

I am thinking providing a terminal station on each of the three legs, with one terminal having one of the line 6 'branches' passing through to a small 'old Shoreditch-like' terminus about 3' behind. 

Each of the 6 lines should have its own operational 'feel', the plan is to run E230/E231/E233 [or similar] cars with a dedicated colour for each route (as JR does today). If a line has a point to point distance of between 35' and 35', then 2 trains on the 'up', and 2 on the 'down' should provide a reasonable frequency (running a scale speed).

I plan to use set track from a combination of Tomix and Kato, but of course need to find a reliable UK or European retailer that stocks both, failing that purchase directly from Japan..... but that might have tax/customs implications.    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Psychiclord said:

For trains exiting the automatic lines to the service tracks,  it might be possible to use an additional sensor to allow 'tnos' to know that block is now free. Although with information on the system in short supply, I am not sure if it would work for exiting trains. It is unlikely to work for trains entering the automatic lines as these need to be in a starting position.

Afaik currently there is no provision to leave or enter the automated system without the permission of the software. This means the number of the trains on the layout depends on the select program, which means it's not possible to add or remove trains while the current program is running. Turning it off and walking all trains on and off with manual control is possible with the help of the cab select system i mentioned above. This might change in the future though as the system is programmable. (adding an extra exit sensor will mean the system will think the train that just left is still moving in the next mainline block and that would sooner or later block the whole system as trains would end up queuing up behind the presumed block of this lost train)

Currently i see 3 options:

-using TNOS and manual block control to move the trains before and after each automatic session (from/to the storage yard)

-using TNOS and waiting for more information to turn up on how to program it to a custom pattern

-rolling your own using reverse engineered TNOS components

Actually all 3 are doable in sequence as you can set up the TNOS and manual block control system right now, update the automatic program to include yard support later if there will be enough info and finally im pretty sure it's possible to replace the central unit with an arduino and run the whole system from a custom program or a usb connected laptop using the arduino as a gateway only. This would even allow yard automation using the same components as the mainline.

1 hour ago, Psychiclord said:

Ideally I would like each route to be completely separate, yet look connected (some dummy junctions might achieve this). 

The yard connectors would pretty much do exactly this, unless you plan to add a separate yard for each line. In the first case above, these connectors would only be used in manual mode. (if each line runs on its own TNOS unit, then these tracks can't be used in automatic mode anyway) My idea for it would be to have a cross track ladder that leads to a common depot entry track. (for 4 double track lines running side by side, this would mean as much as 8 double crossover pieces, which is a lot)