Anyone Assembled Greenmax EMU kits?

Philphil

Has anyone ever tried to assemble a Greenmax EMU kit? There are a couple up for sale I would like to try and purchase, but I'm just wondering if they're worth it...?

I have one still in the box I've never got around to putting together or painting and likely never will. Only Greenmax cars I put together were 4 Mani-44s for my Euroliner, they weren't too bad but the underfloor detail is a bit tricky to get set in the right place. Also the kits were ANCIENT so the dry transfers were a real joy to put on. Once assembled though they behave well, no derailments or major problems. 

There are a few different types of kits.  Some come painted with all parts to complete the model in the box, some come unpainted and you need to buy all the parts like bogies, wheels, motor, pans etc separartely.

If you buy the painted kit kits, you are getting the same quality product as a completed model, just you assemble it yourself versus someone in a factory assembling it.

• Thanks 1

The only one I've built was an old KuMoNi 83. Think it was from their Economy Line kits as it came as separate parts on sprues rather than a single bodyshell moulding with detailing parts.

It went together ok until I discovered that the cabs were too wide, then had to persuade ends and sides apart so I could narrow them to something approaching prototype width.

Would I build another? Probably not as it cost about as much as a RTR dummy unit by the time I'd bought bogies, pantograph and paint for it. It spent a year half finished before I summoned the enthusiasm to sort out the gaps in the body joints and bought the closest paint match I could find. I would buy their prepainted kits as the two KuMoYa 90-100s I have from them are very good, with sharp paintwork and markings.

Pre colored kits with motor seem the way to go. I would like to try an economy kit but haven't seen any stores that ship to US that have all parts like bogies or motors in stock. Or on HS were you have a household limit of one for dt13 bogie?! 

I have also wondered if tomytec motors would fit in the greenmax bodies.

Why would you wanna use Tomytec motors other than the cheaper price.  Noisy and visually easy to see through windows.  Pay the extra 1000 yen and dodge these issues.

I have a eco kit to make a Tokyo 7700 3 car and a pre coloured kit to make a JR West 103 low cab 4 car nara line trains.  Right now, the pre coloured kit wins hands down for ease.  Assembling is easy, painting is not.

Edited by katoftw
1 hour ago, Ultratram said:

Pre colored kits with motor seem the way to go. I would like to try an economy kit but haven't seen any stores that ship to US that have all parts like bogies or motors in stock. Or on HS were you have a household limit of one for dt13 bogie?! 

You may find them on Hobby Search, but you will have to do a little bit of digging.  Here one HS is taking reservations for.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10445144

Edited by bill937ca
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Why would you wanna use Tomytec motors other than the cheaper price.  Noisy and visually easy to see through windows.  Pay the extra 1000 yen and dodge these issues.

I have a eco kit to make a Tokyo 7700 3 car and a pre coloured kit to make a JR West 103 low cab 4 car nara line trains.  Right now, the pre coloured kit wins hands down for ease.  Assembling is easy, painting is not.

I was only considering tomytec motors if the greenmax was out of stock. But you are right. Better to have a good looking / sounding train.

I worked on my kumoyuni 74 economy kit today. Used only three main colors ts-4 grey, x6 orange and x5 green tamiya colors. I was able to get this older model on one of the newer 20m no. 5716 motor chassis. There is a convient seam inside that I put strips of styrene inside that will make the body sit just right on the newer chassis and I could put it on the older style too.

Putting the main body together is a pain. Used my old stand by blue poster tack to balance the panels while gluing. Painted roof, body, and under carrige separate. Basic masking with tamiya tape.

Overall a fun kit. May get more for some not so prototypical fun builds. If you like models then these kits are fun. 

20180422_235211.jpg

• Like 2