Unitram Tram Track Wish List

Hobby Dreamer

I was in touch with Traintrax and asked about the turnouts amoungst other things, here is his reply:

"They have been released in Japan only at the moment. I did receive a small supply but they sold out in 48 hours to customers who had previously requested them and they are now out of stock in Japan

I understand that they should be available in the USA in about 10 days time which mesans I will receive them in a months time. Gaugemaster the UK distributor has them on order but is uncertain which container they will arrive in, one is due in 14 days and the next a month after."

Reviving an old thread.  I recently pulled out my Unitram and I have been looking for ideas to push the envelope.

First is to connect a Kato 20-846  double track girder bridge (or similar) with 33mm track center to the wide end of the Unitram curves.  

post-75-0-35044600-1486511549_thumb.jpg

Nagasaki has a location like this. Video by nekOmask55.

The track here is also side of the road with heavy foliage along a small river. Video by pikarail.

Problem is it doesn't line up the rest of the oval.  You are left with short gaps and few options to close the gaps.

post-75-0-52435800-1486511295_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I found a blog entry that explores the complexity in building a double-double T junction like found in Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Matsuyama.  There are 14 different locations where positive and negative need to be isolated and locations that would be without feeders. With so many locations needing isolation quality control could become an issue.

The current Kato 40-210 and 40-211 have six locations where positive and negative current crosses.  As Kato turnouts are insulated at the factory I have never had an issue running by trams through these turnouts even though I used to have a large complicated layout.

http://ameblo.jp/inkyoise/entry-11996926530.html

Positive and negative diagram.

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20150303/14/inkyoise/cb/18/j/o0800042413234049807.jpg?caw=800

Edited by bill937ca

For someone who's still looking for ideas, there is a section of alley like track in Nagasaki with similar overhead supports in the  center of a very narrow road, You would just need the Unitram straight sections, place your buildings right up against the track edge.

Video by JTC 長い間ありがとうございました。

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLc3UxjLoc

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I found a blog entry that explores the complexity in building a double-double T junction like found in Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Matsuyama.  There are 14 different locations where positive and negative need to be isolated and locations that would be without feeders. With so many locations needing isolation quality control could become an issue.

Bill -  If you're willing to mix Unitram and Tomix track, I have a solution for you.

I had to shorten a Unitram straight to make it work, and used Tomix 140 and 177 radius along with their wye switches and crossing.

gallery_941_192_75150.jpg

I posted this in September 2014:  http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9196-unitram-track-bash/?hl=bash 

It includes photos and notes on bashing the Unitram track.  The image below shows the shims I used on the chopped end of the Unitram section, and the "Kato" ends of the Tomix curves to raise them to the Kato rail level.

gallery_941_192_92926.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I ran trains through the "mid-line terminal" by making a Unitram loop around it, but can't swear to it.

gallery_941_192_146422.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled by the drawings of the positive and negative crossings, as I don't think that is an issue with these tracks?

Also - on your bridge scenario, you would just need a similar kink on the opposite side of the loop, using a custom Unitram straight the same length as the bridge - unless that bridge matches an existing straight.  Or, you could just use a custom straight on one of the ends to adjust for the bridge.

As for pushing the envelope, here is another of my track bashes.

gallery_941_192_102807.jpg

• Like 5

I'm a bit puzzled by the drawings of the positive and negative crossings, as I don't think that is an issue with these tracks?

It would be if the Tomix turnouts were not fully power routing, essentially swapping the polarity between the two directions. Using Kato turnouts only would cause shorts through the outer rails. On the other hand, the example is probably meant to demonstrate how much easier is to wire with overhead as the positive and all tracks as the negative (return) pole, since you don't have to isolate or switch polarities at all. Btw. classic model railway 3 rail systems (like maerklin h0) also utilise this trick.

• Like 1

Usually we think of Tomix Wide Tram track for short sections of paved track, but you can use the TWR180 and TWL180 curves and their 33mm track center to pair up with Unitrack.  In this case I used R216 and R249 for the Unitrack and of course the Unitram curves will be R180.  I'm using this right for a short section of test track. I didn't have enough extra Unitram on hand so I looked for another solution without waiting for an order to arrive.

post-75-0-47730000-1487432322_thumb.jpg

Here's a 42 x 42 Unitram layout with lots of junctions.  But because it is Unitram you are limited to squares and rectangles when you stick with tram track. The junction in the center is as complicated as an Unitram junction gets.

Unitram hozizontal ovals 42 x 30 ver 5 BIG.jpg

Track parts list:

Track
TW-X90, N Kato Unitram, 40-300. Crossing 2 7/16". (double plate track)    1
TWR180L, N Kato Unitram, 40-101. Curve angle 45º (double plate track)    6
TWR180R, N Kato Unitram, 40-102. Curve angle 45º (double plate track)    6
TWS124, N Kato Unitram, 40-020. Straight 4 7/8". (double plate track)    4
TWS186, N Kato Unitram, 40-010. Straight 7 21/64". (double plate track)    2
TWS62, N Kato Unitram, 40-031. Straight 2 7/16". (double plate track)    5
TWT180L, N Kato Unitram, 40-210. Double left turnout angle 45º (double plate track)    4
TWT180R, N Kato Unitram, 40-211. Double right turnout angle 45º (double plate track)    4

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4