Industrial mini-layout

valkyriepm

Martijn Meerts

I think a tutorial on light weathering would be more welcome than heavy weathering to be honest, it's easy to overdo weathering, and a lot of Japanese rolling stock isn't heavily weathered either.

• Like 2

I agree it’s harder to weather lightly! Can be hard to go back easily if you just overdo it a bit! Weathering is some practice and some art!

jeff

8 hours ago, valkyriepm said:

My question is: do I have to add another power line on the marked area or should I re-design that part of the layout?

I think the layout is good but yes you’ll need another feeder wire to access the sidings. Either another throttle so you could shunt in that section while something else is running around the loop, or an isolating switch so that you can stop power in that section should you have a loco parked.

• Like 2

I agree, two power feeds is the minimum, unless you start setting up your points to conduct power in weird ways, and I think that will make it much harder to run trains back and forth because at some point you’ll have power going where you don’t want it. (If you will only ever have one locomotive it’s a different matter of course.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

If you will only ever have one locomotive it’s a different matter of course.

My plan is an DE-10 to transport the TAKIs on the external line, an undifined switcher within the refinery and a 2- 17m car  local line only for the exterior. 

Thank you all for the comments, I'll try to make a tutorial for a tomytec type weathering and another to tomix-kato-or whatever comes molded in color. 😋

Martin

• Thanks 1
Alejandro_SCL
On 3/6/2019 at 8:47 PM, valkyriepm said:

IMG_20190306_203802.thumb.jpg.b33b0a4380fc0b0e749395288099243f.jpg

It looks very interesting. Could you explain what kind of operation you are planning? I reach to distinguish two points of fuel load with an obvious purpose, and a parallel line of waiting for load I suppose ... but the rest of the points of destination, what purpose will they have ?.

15 hours ago, Alejandro_SCL said:

It looks very interesting. Could you explain what kind of operation you are planning? I reach to distinguish two points of fuel load with an obvious purpose, and a parallel line of waiting for load I suppose ... but the rest of the points of destination, what purpose will they have ?.

Hi Alejandro! Yes, it'll have two loading places, the other rail to the middle is a general cargo line. The one that curves will have the engine shed at the end (and in fact will be closer to the curve) and the short one just for manouvering. I'll have to separate a little the points as I have to put an additional feeder for the last lines. Also I'm considering to shorten a little the extension of the layout.

Martin

• Like 2

This looks great. Thanks for the inspiring project and discussion. I've always preferred Japanese passenger lines, but this has helped make me a believer in the lesser-travelled world of freight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK guys, I'm making a little step by step on how I weather the warehouse of the pics below. Hope to be easy to follow for everyone and and help you weather your buildings! I'll let you know when it's ready and thank you for the encouragement!

Martin

IMG_20190318_203950.thumb.jpg.a98177abcebe4d6ba2832c797f4bba1d.jpgIMG_20190318_204006.thumb.jpg.4a0144ceac3d335cb865a7a3a3ba89f7.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hi guys! Little update on the facilities. Some oil storage tanks. Kit by Kibri and paint inspired on the pic posted by @yakumo381 of the Ajikawaguchi freight terminal. Still, I think I need at least ane big storage tank. We'll see. Hope you like it!

Martin

IMG_20190414_195319.thumb.jpg.9434058095c03abd1440923fcc7e8870.jpgIMG_20190414_195337.thumb.jpg.f2d6a499a87fdb38cfe39caeb2cd883e.jpgIMG_20190414_195350.thumb.jpg.b0325d89cc56c52fe6cad7269035335e.jpg

• Like 7
Martijn Meerts

Those are really nice. In the first 2 pictures it actually almost looks like a 3D model rather than a physical model 🙂

On 4/15/2019 at 2:07 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

Those are really nice. In the first 2 pictures it actually almost looks like a 3D model rather than a physical model 🙂

Thanx! Yes, the look like 3D, haven't noticed 😅

Hi guys! Wow! Almost 3 years since last activity on this project and topic! What can I say? Life, lots of work and little time. Just a few scale models on the side and.... Trying to find the time. Hopefuly I'll make more regular work on this layout. Anyways, I did some re-design on the layout with the help of my son, and now getting closer to something I like. 2'x3' size 😄

IMG_20220220_173230777.jpg

• Like 10