Yavianice

EU manufacturers N Gauge new Releases & Product Announcements

chadbag
2 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Ha, I hear that hope is a great business strategy. Do you know who makes their decoders anyway? For some locos I'd overlook the premium if I had confidence it would even work on my system.

My Mintrix stuff that has come with a decoder installed (removable) has been D&H DH14 decoders that have some custom firmware in them using the "proprietary" 14pin setup that they like to use.   (I have a bunch of the DC/DCC locos and just buy the standard D&H DH14 ones.  Their custom ones have special settings and are set up to control extras that may be installed like lighting etc.  The ones that have the decoder built into the board (not removable) -- I don't know who makes them.  But I would guess D&H since they have a relationship already.  I'll have to find my one or two that have the decoders already built in to the board and put them on my programmer and see if they have the manufacturer code in them.

• Thanks 1

chadbag
15 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I don't get why they don't offer these releases in DC and DCC. I want DCC but I want to choose my decoder and I don't want to pay a premium for installation that I do myself for free. Also after finding that Fleishmann decoders don't work on a digitrax system, I'm reluctant to take a chance on other proprietary decoders. On top of the minitrix price I have to figure in also a possible replacement decoder and the hassle of converting.  

The DCC is built into the train boards on the one or two that I have that had built-in DCC and non-removable decoders.  Some other DCC Minitrix ones I bought had removable ones and a socket.

• Thanks 1

gavino200
2 minutes ago, chadbag said:

My Mintrix stuff that has come with a decoder installed (removable) has been D&H DH14 decoders that have some custom firmware in them using the "proprietary" 14pin setup that they like to use.   (I have a bunch of the DC/DCC locos and just buy the standard D&H DH14 ones.  Their custom ones have special settings and are set up to control extras that may be installed like lighting etc.  The ones that have the decoder built into the board (not removable) -- I don't know who makes them.  But I would guess D&H since they have a relationship already.  I'll have to find my one or two that have the decoders already built in to the board and put them on my programmer and see if they have the manufacturer code in them.

That's good to know. One less thing to worry about. 

I really wish they didn't force sound. I find it a bit annoying and turn it off anyway.

Train + DCC + Sound increases a train's price from the 'wife raising an eyebrow' level to the 'wife throwing a coniption fit' level. They should have to throw in a voucher for free marriage counseling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Martijn Meerts

I wouldn't mind the sound if it at least sounded good, but they tend to use cheap speakers and don't spend any time designing a sound box. If they even add a sound box, it's really just a plastic casing which just makes things even worse. 

On top of that, sound just doesn't scale well, and if you have for example a 16-car shinkansen, you not only need multiple speakers throughout the train, but the noise of the wheels on track will drown out the actual sound.

As for decoders, the original Trix digital system was designed by D&H, and they still do most of their decoders. Fleischmann I believe is using the Roco stuff, since they're pretty much the same company anyway. A lot of the new models, especially with sound, are also designed from the ground up with DCC and sound in mind, so they probably use custom decoders. If one breaks you're probably looking at having to get a new PCB, which would probably cost more than a new non-sound train.

I have some trains with sound in N, H0 and 0. In N, I never turn it on, in H0 it's fine as long as the trains aren't running, and in 0 it's quite decent. On the other hand, I'm very picky when it comes to sound quality.

• Like 1

Yavianice
Posted (edited)

I just noticed that the SBB Zürich SBahn re-release from Fleischmann (781902) is not correct? It seems that the refurbished sets (that have an SBB logo on the cabin and motorcar) have 3 point front lights instead of just two points, like the older non-refurbished sets, and the refurbished sets have a different first car after the locomotive with lower doors.

So just a cheapo repaint. Like pretty much everything from Fleischmann nowadays. Sad

Edited by Yavianice

Yavianice

Fleischmann confirmed that there are no ICE 2 middle cars planned. Those that purchase the starter set with ICE 2 train are recommended to purchase the ICE-1 middle cars.

Waisneed
On 3/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, Yavianice said:

I just noticed that the SBB Zürich SBahn re-release from Fleischmann (781902) is not correct? It seems that the refurbished sets (that have an SBB logo on the cabin and motorcar) have 3 point front lights instead of just two points, like the older non-refurbished sets, and the refurbished sets have a different first car after the locomotive with lower doors.

So just a cheapo repaint. Like pretty much everything from Fleischmann nowadays. Sad

Sadly, it is.

I wonder why nobody bothers with the NDW cars, they're out since '10. And the 3rd Headlight has been installed since then too.

But only last summer, all 115 units have been fitted.

Yavianice
Posted (edited)

Minitrix announced production of IC-2 set.

TRIX 15385, IC-2 3 part set (199 euro)

TRIX 15376, IC-2 1 part extension set (55 euro)

TRIX 16462, BR 146.5 in IC-2 Colors DCC (260 euro)

To be released "in the summer"

http://streaming.maerklin.de/public-media/son19/e_mt_sonh2019.pdf

Edited by Yavianice
Added catalogue link
  • Like 2

Gryphr

Note that these say "Inspired by" the IC 2 cars. The cars in that set are repaints of older DB Regio bilevel stock which differ a lot in window placement, A/C installation and some other details.

Yavianice
1 hour ago, Gryphr said:

Note that these say "Inspired by" the IC 2 cars. The cars in that set are repaints of older DB Regio bilevel stock which differ a lot in window placement, A/C installation and some other details.

Where does it say that? Couldn't find it in the catalogue. (I also updated the original post with catalogue link)

Gryphr

It's in the descriptions for the coaches/coach sets.

As for visuals, compare the pictures in the catalogue with pictures of the real ones: The windows on the Regio cars are exactly above each other, while on the IC 2 they are offset, the IC 2 has A/C units above the doors which are missing on the older cars (those would be the immediately noticable differences).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D-DB_50_80_26-81_456-8_DBpza_682.2_Bremen_Hbf_14.11.2015.jpg

Yavianice
Posted (edited)

Jägerndorfer will finally produce the swiss version of the crocodiles, they announced today, with a tentative release date "before christmas 2019"

E-Lok Ce6/8 II Schweizer Krokodil Brown SBB Ep.IV Art.Nr.: JC62110 299,90 €

E-Lok Ce6/8 II Schweizer Krokodil Brown SBB Ep.IV Sound Art.Nr.: JC62112 447,90 €

E-Lok Ce6/8 II Schweizer Krokodil Green SBB Ep.IV Art.Nr.: JC62120 299,90 €

E-Lok Ce6/8 II Schweizer Krokodil Green SBB Ep.IV Sound Art.Nr.: JC62122 447,90 €

For comparison: Minitrix will release the green one only in DCC + Sound version, for 399 €. Arnold will be 209 € for analogue, and 242 € for Digital (non sound) version.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1

Martijn Meerts

Damnit.. I've wanted an SBB crocodile for quite a while.. I really shouldn't though 🙂