The New Trams Are Here

Hobby Dreamer

Argh ... mine still hasn't arrived from hwjapan.

This is what happens when I try to save money and ship SAL  :sad:

Mine hasn't arrived either, but I knew it would take longer to ship. Is there anyway to track SAL?

Bernard theres no way to track SAL, you basically wait until it shows up.  :sad:

Good to know.

This is the first time I've used SAL and it will be a good test. I'm hoping mine arrives soon because I see Bill ordered his the same day I finished my pre-order payment. If it works out it will be a big savings.

My tram arrived on Friday, but my life beyond trams has kept me busy until now.  I've hardly been here since Friday until today.

I ran my tram for the first time tonight.  I have an oval of Tomix track with C103 and C140 curves (two C103 leading into two C140 and two C103 exiting).  There is a siding with C140-30 curves.  It's a low cost mini layout built on a 12 x 24 x 2 inches piece of WS styrofoam which can be set up on the coffee table in the living room.  

I used my Tomytec battery powered tram controller because it was convenient and I don't have to stretch a cord across the living room.  For those not familiar with the tram controller this is it in authentic green as found on trams in Hiroshima.  (The cream color is also found on Hiroshima trams.)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072782

At full power (6V!) the car ran like a bat out of hell.  Imagine what it will do on 12V! Does Tomytec have a speed trap with convenient processing positions???? At reduced power it ran quite nicely at slow speed.  It stalled a couple times between the switches of my sidings.  This could be easily dealt with by increasing the power slightly going into the switches and then reducing power.  Nothing wrong with that as the series-parallel type of controller is used with power on or power off and then coasting.

I ran the chassis alone for a while and then put the body on.  I found the noise increased once I put the body on, but not terribly so. Still, I think of these cars being relatively quiet apart from a lot humming with some modern traction components.

I will take photos later this week and post them on my blog.

At full power (6V!) the car ran like a bat out of hell.  Imagine what it will do on 12V!  At reduced power it ran quite nicely at slow speed.  It stalled a couple times between the switches of my sidings.  

I've got it running quite nicely on notch 3 (of 5) on the Tomytec controller.  It's running through the siding and around the oval slowly without stalling. It seems quieter now too.

At full power (6V!) the car ran like a bat out of hell.  Imagine what it will do on 12V!  At reduced power it ran quite nicely at slow speed.  It stalled a couple times between the switches of my sidings.  

I've got it running quite nicely on notch 3 (of 5) on the Tomytec controller.  It's running through the siding and around the oval slowly without stalling. It seems quieter now too.

Thanks for posting  your reflections on the Tomix tram bill, I may order one once the stores open again. By the way has anyone seen the Yellow Portram for sale I'd really like that one.

Thanks for posting  your reflections on the Tomix tram bill, I may order one once the stores open again. By the way has anyone seen the Yellow Portram for sale I'd really like that one.

The yellow Portram is not due until December.  Look for a dealer taking reservations like HS or HWJ.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10097066

There's a review with photos on my blog.

http://jtrains.wordpress.com/?p=1336&preview=true

Bill - Informative and detailed review of a product. In particular I liked the photo where you address the overhang of the car on the track and describe it in relationship to the prototype, otherwise I would have thought it was a flaw of the model. If I wasn't sure of buying one, based on your blog, I would now.

Bill - Informative and detailed review of a product. In particular I liked the photo where you address the overhang of the car on the track and describe it in relationship to the prototype, otherwise I would have thought it was a flaw of the model. If I wasn't sure of buying one, based on your blog, I would now.

Thanks Bernard.  I've added one additional detail.  Low floor cars have all the electrical gear on the roof rather than under the floor on previous generations of streetcars. 

This new video also shows the overhang. Ever driven on streetcar tracks and seen the clearance markings? You generally don't see clearance markings in Japan as the tracks are off limits to motor traffic.

And for an interesting comparison, I tried to run my Kato 14-070 Hiroshima single trucker on the same set up and it would barely move.  I imagine it will need the full 12V from the main layout. It also feels heavier.

Bill, another great video there  :grin

My tomytec tram has finally arrived, arrived 22 Sept at the local Post Office (and picked it up yesterday), shipment confirmation email from hwJapan was on the 2nd Sept. So that is 20 days shipping using SAL to Melbourne.

Only got time to unbox the tram yesterday, haven't even had time to run it. My pics still to come ....

20 days shipping? That's exactly the time SAL's item need to be delivered in Berlin.

interesting fact that is ...

btw, just to clarify, I wasn't complaining about the 20 days shipping time before, I was just stating the fact  :grin :grin

especially since the cost saving using SAL instead of EMS can get you another tomytec portram ...

Since you already know what the Portram looks like, I'll skip the photos and just upload a quick video of it running on the mainline on my layout:

After doing a test-run, I have found that my motorised chasis does not run smoothly in low speeds, it stutters and than goes directly into high speed. I should have taken a video of it trying to run low speed...

This is quite different to Bill's review. I wonder, could it be because I am using a Hornby DC controller which is supposed to be used for OO/HO?

Serenity - Smooth running layout. What is the voltage on the transformer and are all your other trains running fine with it?

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, it was shipped the same day as yours. As I said, this will be a good test in my area for SAL.

Serenity - Smooth running layout. What is the voltage on the transformer and are all your other trains running fine with it?

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, it was shipped the same day as yours. As I said, this will be a good test in my area for SAL.

The video really makes the tram to feel like a roller coaster ride!!!  I bet it is faster than Kato 500 Series or TGVs!

Bernard, I'm not at home at the moment, but looking at hornby's website, this is the description for the controller:

[tt]PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Controls the direction and speed of one locomotive. Input is 16v AC from the R964 mains transformer. Output is 0-12v DC to the track, plus non-variable 16v AC output for power-switched points, signals and other accessories. Supplied fitted with 760mm lead to Power Connecting Clip.

[/tt]

And actually I always have problem with smooth slow running on all my trains (well, I only have 3 other trains, a N700 kato, the Enoshima Light Rail from Modemo, and a HO scale hornby Flying Scotsman). I just assumed that smooth slow running is impossible with DC ???

The video really makes the tram to feel like a roller coaster ride!!!  I bet it is faster than Kato 500 Series or TGVs!

Sure looks fast, doesn't it ...

You got me thinking how fast this would actually be if scaled up.

If it took 2.5 seconds to travel the straight section on the front of the layout which is about 100 cm long, scaled up by 1:150, if my calculation is correct, this translates to a pedestrian 20 km/h speed. That doesn't sound right, must be my math. :grin

Since you already know what the Portram looks like, I'll skip the photos and just upload a quick video of it running on the mainline on my layout:

After doing a test-run, I have found that my motorised chasis does not run smoothly in low speeds, it stutters and than goes directly into high speed. I should have taken a video of it trying to run low speed...

This is quite different to Bill's review. I wonder, could it be because I am using a Hornby DC controller which is supposed to be used for OO/HO?

That is AWESOME. I wish we could get light rail in the U.S. to operate at those speeds. Oh well, just another area where the Japanese technology is far ahead of us!

If it took 2.5 seconds to travel the straight section on the front of the layout which is about 100 cm long, scaled up by 1:150, if my calculation is correct, this translates to a pedestrian 20 km/h speed. That doesn't sound right, must be my math. :grin

Replying to my own post here ... just i case you're curious, I made a mistake here  :cheesy. The scaled up speed of the portram in the video should be 200 km/h or nearing 120 mph. No wonder it looks fast!

And actually I always have problem with smooth slow running on all my trains (well, I only have 3 other trains, a N700 kato, the Enoshima Light Rail from Modemo, and a HO scale hornby Flying Scotsman). I just assumed that smooth slow running is impossible with DC ???

Some transformers have a "Pulse" switch on them. I really works, what is does it regulates the speed of the train/tram and gives it a feeling of momentum, it slowly starts up and slowly stops, it's not abrupt. MRC Tech transformer have this feature on them called Momentum. http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/una_mrc.htm

MRC Tech transformer have this feature on them called Momentum. http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/una_mrc.htm

That's what we have. With fairly new, smooth-running equipment (anything Kato, essentially), everything runs very smoothly. With old stuff that needs some help, sometimes you need to give it a little push to get started at the very low power settings.

It would be nice if the amount of momentum (or inertia?) could be varied so that small trains, trams, etc., would start and stop quicker. It's pretty funny to see a 3-car EMU coast along with the momentum of a 150-car coal train. But fortunately there's also a "brake" button.

Yeah, my Trams arrived today! It takes about a month to get from Japan to where I live in NY, but it's worth the savings. I feel confident now about my other pre-orders. Thanks Jeff.

Alright I did a little test on mind and I had the same results that Serenity had, those little suckers sure do fly with a normal transformer. I will re-test them on my layout with a transformer that has "pulse" which I have to believe will improve the performance.

I got mine too yesterday! sal is running more like 3 weeks this summer, too many holidays i guess! also wondering if the number of international flights has been reduced.

I am a happy boy! they are nice little models for under $40! they do run fast, think im going to try adding a bridge rectifier or two to reduce the input voltage so that the motor is a bit more responsive. on a positive note the ru21 system does well with its initial pulse power to get the units moving nicely! have to set the speed pretty slow on it though!

i popped for the storage box for the lrvs to have something better than the tomytec boxes to store them in. it comes with an unpainted lrv! so i have a ghost portram now as well! guess i could get fancy and paint it up with something fun like anime decals in the future and make my own custom tram.

i tested them on both the standard ttrak funky corners and my super mini radius tomix loop back loop (does a full turn back to 1.5" separated parallel tracks in the center so nasty curves) and they did great, always snapping back to straight on the straight aways.

mechanism has a nice smooth sound, no growling except under pulse power, but thats standard.

as i said im a happy boy, a happy boy oh aint it great when things are going your way, hubba hubba hubba... but i digress.

cheers

jeff