Kato Hankyu 9300 EMU DCC Conversion (10-1279)

chadbag

This is currently a placeholder.I have not yet made the conversion.  

Based on the later part number, and the fact this is a newer model, I had thought that this was one of the DCC-Ready models that take an EM13.    And it ALMOST is.  :(   But sadly it is not.   I went to put an EM13 in and found that the place for the EM13 is occupied by the heavy metal car frame, though it looks like the rest of the parts are shared with the normal DCC-friendly Emu type bodies.

Here are a few pictures that show the problem.  Once I do the conversion, I will show pictures of that as well here.

large.IMG_1977.jpg.18cb7f82d6c9a1c1397bfefc8f67706b.jpg

This is a KATO 225-100 Rapid (Osaka area rapid used on Kobe/Kyoto line and probably some other lines) (10-1439) with an EM13 installed.  This is what I was trying to do with the Hankyu 9300 power car.  (10-1279).  Typical EM13 install with removing the bottom cover, removing the truck, sliding the EM13 in, putting the truck back on, and the cover, and done.

You see the brass circular wheel thing that has a round clip spring thing encircling it.  That is where the motor gets its power and that clip spring thing encircling it connects the motor lead to the track power strip.  The EM13 slides between the clip thing and the power strip.

large.IMG_1978.jpg.54de8c7ff6ad9cf60b8990905459d1e1.jpg

After removing the cover and truck, this what you expect.  You see the place for the EM13 (between the flywheel and the stepped body frame bit to the right).  You can also see the round motor lead and the clip spring thing around it touching the track power strip.   (This is an 10-1121, the 321 Series Kobe/Kyoto line local train in Osaka -- unfortunately a model that most stores have, but for which the add-on cars 10-1122 are impossible to find at the moment).

large.IMG_1976.jpg.40f8982f1daeafe5b57b875c7c3d7c0b.jpg

This is what the KATO 10-1279 Hankyu 9300 motor car looks like with the cover off and the truck removed.  Very similar.  All the same parts.  Except the indentation in the car frame where the EM13 would go is filled in with metal.  The track power strips don't step down until they get to the actual motor.  The same motor leads, clip spring thing, etc are all there.  This is made using the newest parts KATO has, except no EM13 room.  (And I went back and read the "manual" that came with it and DCC is not listed so it is not like a manufacturing issue or something.

I have a really thin ZIMO Decoder somewhere in the US postal system on its way to me right now.  I am going to see if there is an easy way to position it underneath so I don't have to go drilling lots of holes.  We'll see how it works.  More later when I start working on this one.

• Thanks 1

You could also switch out the cast frame with an assy one that is Dcc ready, its pretty easy.  I had to do it when I broke a copper strip in my 581 series.  Do the cab cars have a slot for an FL12?

7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

You could also switch out the cast frame with an assy one that is Dcc ready, its pretty easy.  I had to do it when I broke a copper strip in my 581 series.  Do the cab cars have a slot for an FL12?

I'll have to look into that.  The biggest issue there is just getting the parts from Japan.  Even though I have my wife's family there, I don't want to over-use that source.  There are other sources, but in-stock, do they ship internationally, and all that all factor in.

I'll check the FL12 question and report back.

The cab cars are ready for FL12.  They have the little access doors and the place to slide them in and all the correct spring pieces, and the little access doors have the right plastic to hold it in place.  Of course, I looked at one an d it LOOKED like it had the access door but for the life of me I could not get it off.  Finally I thought they must have cheaped-out like they did in the power car for the EM13.  So I took the cab car apart, saw the right pieces, and even put in a burned out FL12 I had handy to test.   (Those little flat springs to connect the light board to the track power strips sure suck to put back in when they pop out).  After I had done all that, I was actually able to get the access door off, so I put it all back together and put the burned-out FL12 back in through the normal method and it fits just fine.     So the real problem is the just the power car and the filled in EM13 space.

I got the ZIMO decoder and it is larger than I had thought it was.  I will probably use a D&H nano decoder I have.

I also looked at the parts list and don't see the cast piece by itself listed.  I do see the whole power car frame listed for the Hankyu 9300 and other similar cars (like the 225).   Would have to find one that is the same length as the Hankyu (the 225 is longer) and then take the underside plastic bits off to match.   Don't know if that is worth it.

So there is no place to put a nano decoder underneath.  It will have to go inside the passenger compartment.  It looks like I can snake two of the wires down each side where the underneath piece attaches, removing just a smidgen of plastic that is there to shield the track power strip (but is not needed).  It may mean I have to pop the shell to get the bottom cover off for any motor maintenance.

Why, Oh why, Kato, could you not just make it EM13 compatible?  It basically is, except for the cast frame bit, anyway.

The D&H PD05A decoder is small and would not be to noticeable inside the power car passenger space through the windows if done correctly.   We'll see.  Not a high priority right now.

I bought three of those decoders for 3 freight locomotives, but can re-purpose one.

• Like 1

The castings are all the same size IIRC, its just the plastic floor on top that lengthens the car to match the body.  Its a brilliant design, the truck clips can slide and are also locked in the right place by the plastic floor, so it can work for any truck center length.   Are you in the US?  I have a spare casting (missing one copper strip) I can send you that does fit the EM13.  I'll take a picture and measure it and you can see if it looks the same as yours.

6 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

The castings are all the same size IIRC, its just the plastic floor on top that lengthens the car to match the body.  Its a brilliant design, the truck clips can slide and are also locked in the right place by the plastic floor, so it can work for any truck center length.   Are you in the US?  I have a spare casting (missing one copper strip) I can send you that does fit the EM13.  I'll take a picture and measure it and you can see if it looks the same as yours.

Ah.  Smart way of doing it.  I'll have to look at the Hankyu again this weekend (my time this evening is up for train stuff as I am supposed to be working).  And the 225.  To compare how the castings work and also take some measurements etc.

Yeah, I am in the US (Utah).  Thanks.