Philphil

So, at this point, decisions, decisions... 

In order to get everything I want into a large station, I might have to build it into a 2-level configuration which may or may not be prototypical. The big problem is, is if I do add a second level onto the station, the bus station will need to be completely replanned, but it's not like that's a huge deal, it's just a bit more work. Not totally sure what to do. ???

The second thing is... I'm going to have to move the storage yard, all of it... :violent1:

20180216_215241.jpg

• Like 2

Man, all those trains all lined up look really nice!  I'm jealous of your yard setup, it looks great.  Once you finish it you need to add some yard lights so can get some night shots.

35 minutes ago, Philphil said:

So, at this point, decisions, decisions... 

In order to get everything I want into a large station, I might have to build it into a 2-level configuration which may or may not be prototypical.

If you want a prototypical 2-level station, look at Ueno. Well technically it's 3 levels if you include the subterranean Shinkansen platforms.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:30 PM, railsquid said:

If you want a prototypical 2-level station, look at Ueno. Well technically it's 3 levels if you include the subterranean Shinkansen platforms.

That is quite the station! My other option would be to spread the stations out a bit to different parts of the layout, which may be a bit easier to plan out and build (hopefully!)

On 2/16/2018 at 9:57 PM, Kiha66 said:

Man, all those trains all lined up look really nice!  I'm jealous of your yard setup, it looks great.  Once you finish it you need to add some yard lights so can get some night shots.

I agree that would be cool! I'll put it on the to-do list!

Actually... My current problem is that I purchased too much equipment, so much so that I might as well just turn the ENTIRE layout into a big train yard! Or I could sell some things, but that's always such a painful route!

Unfortunately, at the moment my layout only has one bus stop, so traffic can get backed up (just slightly!)

Things will hopefully change in the future! :grin

20180220_220101.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, Philphil said:

Once I have a few spare minutes, I'll go measure my space and get back to you guys on dimensions, though my current problem is the yard in it's current form isn't big enough... I'm seriously thinking of cutting all trains down to 10 cars (or 11 in some cases) and then making the yard tracks long enough to fit two 10-car trains per track, which I've done on a couple tracks in these pictures.

20180206_120811.jpg

Hey, what's up with the token Series 115 Shonan colors. :)

17 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Hey, what's up with the token Series 115 Shonan colors. :)

Good question! Originally I was hoping to have a small commuter line for four and five car EMU's with at least two stations, but my plans fell through, so this little guy is the only short EMU I have, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it now... Maybe it'll rot in the storage yard with the 201 Series set I have?

14 hours ago, disturbman said:

Alternatively, you could also only keep some trains in their storage boxes and rotate the consists in and out of the yard/layout.

At this point I'm going to have to, especially since I'm going to have to cut down the JR East part of the storage yard. I personally just find it kind of a hassle to get the trains on and off when they're so close together and there are lots of catenary poles and other things in the way. Any ideas to make it easier?

Just replaced the last piece of temporary foam with a piece that actually fits! So now I can begin the long, horrible task of moving every single piece of rolling stock, track, and catenary pole over to this side... :sad10:

20180221_152108.jpg

20180221_152513.jpg

1 hour ago, Philphil said:

Good question! Originally I was hoping to have a small commuter line for four and five car EMU's with at least two stations, but my plans fell through, so this little guy is the only short EMU I have, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it now... Maybe it'll rot in the storage yard with the 201 Series set I have?

You could get the kato one that's comming out in a few months, which makes a 15 car train.

3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

You could get the kato one that's comming out in a few months, which makes a 15 car train.

Huh, you know, I haven't seen that yet, I'll try and find it on the Kato site!

1 minute ago, Philphil said:

Huh, you know, I haven't seen that yet, I'll try and find it on the Kato site!

Heres the page for it, the train is made up of three smaller formations (7+4+4).  I have an 11 car train (7+4) of the JNR version and these new models are beautiful, very detailed with separate vents and parts already applied.  The JR version will be released in May.

http://www.katomodels.com/n/115kei_1000_syonan/ 

8 hours ago, Philphil said:

At this point I'm going to have to, especially since I'm going to have to cut down the JR East part of the storage yard. I personally just find it kind of a hassle to get the trains on and off when they're so close together and there are lots of catenary poles and other things in the way. Any ideas to make it easier?

Several. You could leave a single track/sinding without catenary for easier manipulation, or a cassette system. Though I am not sure it would be ideal for 15-car long consists.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:37 AM, disturbman said:

Several. You could leave a single track/sinding without catenary for easier manipulation, or a cassette system. Though I am not sure it would be ideal for 15-car long consists.

Good idea! No matter how much I hate to not have catenary along a couple of tracks, it'll be for the best in the long run.

Just an update on the benchwork ("benchwork"), maybe "shelfwork" would be better...?

But yes, small update, I was strictly told I can only expand on to three more shelves in the basement, so I ran down to my local Home Depot, picked up three of the biggest shelves I could find; AND in order to make it all even BIGGER I also got some metal supports so I can space the shelves out much further than I could if they were unsupported! 

(I might be able to turn this from an L-shaped layout into a loop!)

20180225_202731.jpg

20180225_202739.jpg

• Like 1

The biggest downside is that I have to remove this smaller shelf in order to expand, so the entire JR East yard really does have to go away now... :sad10:

20180225_203905.jpg

Expansion continues! Currently I'll have an area of up to 4' x 17' 5" to build the main station area, hopefully that will be big enough to fit four or six JR East tracks, four Tobu tracks, two shinkansen tracks and possibly two subway and two Odakyu tracks for future modeling expansion. I could probably fit four tracks underground, if worst comes to worst.

20180226_145903.jpg

So, quick update; unfortunately since it does seem USPS has lost the package containing all three sets of Keio rolling stock, along with some busses and a Microace 215 Series, I'll be scrapping the plans for recreating a Keio line/Keio bus station.

• Sad 1

Got some more foam today, about enough to cover the remaining open areas. But I do need to get one more sheet to cover a recent expansions that wasn't accounted for. So now most of the layout is ready for track to start going down. 

I hope to order track for the inner subway loop later tonight, so the subway loop (or at least one track of it, because at the moment I only have one Kato power pack) should be operational by next week!

20180310_160002.jpg

20180310_155936.jpg

• Like 3

Little bits of progress here, firstly I have small mound of track and catenary poles which will become a small Tobu Railway yard. Once I get foam on top of the final shelf, the yard will be pushed back further to get out of the way of the curves for the JR East lines.

The second photo shows that after all these months, I managed to get the entire JR East yard filled with catenary poles! Getting the poles off of the sprues was a pain, and unfortunately, I have another 40-ish poles to go. THE GRIND CONTINUES!

20180312_214347.jpg

20180312_214401.jpg

• Like 4

The very first Tobu train has arrived in the yard! (Though I'm not sure if all the cars are facing the correct directions or not!)

20180314_134343.jpg

20180314_134405.jpg

• Like 1

Two trains in the yard now! A 50050 and a 50000. (I'm pretty sure I had the pantograph cars flipped the wrong way, so I corrected those)

20180314_135657.jpg

20180314_135717.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the Tobu 10030 did not survive its international trip from Japan. Lots of gluing will be required, and hopefully the motor car will still work after the trucks and snapped back in.

20180314_140219.jpg

20180314_140227.jpg

• Sad 1

Got the poor Greenmax Tobu 10030 back in shape, and on the rails!

It might be time for me to expand the Tobu yard...

20180314_150522.jpg

20180314_150532.jpg

• Like 2