When you're trying out just the power car of your N gauge train...

Densha

There's a prototype for everything!  is there actually a small control stand in the car, or is there some other way of controlling it?  I remember the Kiha 58 series also has the back windows, are those for driving around the yard?

48 minutes ago, railsquid said:

I wonder if it came in a book case or an individual plastic box.

Well, since it has been taken out of a set...

IrI1GAZ8.thumb.jpg.aa895ad4767709ab9fcb5a2c788dbebd.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

There's a prototype for everything!  is there actually a small control stand in the car, or is there some other way of controlling it?  I remember the Kiha 58 series also has the back windows, are those for driving around the yard?

Hello,

My guess is there's an iPhone app ...

25 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

So we can now all run our centre motor cars on the rails, and no one can say 'that's not prototypical'!

At least within yard limits!

• Haha 1

Actually all of these cars have a control bus. They don't really care if the thing on the other end is a control car or a handheld box. On the video, the cable is visible towards the end and the controller is held by the standing person.

In america, there were examples of F7B units being used as remote controlled yard locomotives by simply hanging the radio receiver box on the end and plugging it into the multiple unit connector. Just set the loco to slave mode and it works. Mid train helper units and freds are also controlled this way. The only requirement is for the car or subset to have complete equipment groups, so married pairs must be used together.

ps: Considering modern trains have can or ethernet as their main control bus, these are extremly vulnerable to man in the middle attacks and the control bus is usually accessible from the passenger area. Proper cryptography (for authentication) should be used, but most modern systems don't use any. (initial key exchange for a long consist would be a pain though especially for in service splits and joins)